Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,085

2 members and 3,083 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heat

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts
    Well, there is a reason why so many people do things a certain specific way. And trust me, it's not because it's 'cool' or it's the 'popular' thing to do.
    It's because it works and is the safest.

Sure you can say an unregulated mat hasn't malfunctioned or your friend's cousin's great great uncle's chihuahua's friend has used unregulated pads for years with no issue. They are LUCKY! Damn Lucky! You hear horrible events of unregulated pads destroying entire collections and years of hard work going down the drain from accidents like that in this hobby.

There is still that risk of burning your animal, melting your enclosure, or starting a fire with those unregulated heating elements.
    Why NOT use a thermostat? Why not give yourself that extra blanket of security and safety? Why even leave your animals to that risk?? It could be a small risk, it could be a large risk. Either way, still something I do not want to risk. Paying for a thermostat sure beats paying for vet bills and dealing with an injured animal. It 100x better than having part of your house burn down.
    Last edited by satomi325; 11-28-2013 at 08:21 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (11-28-2013),martin82531 (11-28-2013)

Thanks

Heat

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Well, there is a reason why so many people do things a certain specific way. And trust me, it's not because it's 'cool' or it's the 'popular' thing to do.
    It's because it works and is the safest.

Sure you can say an unregulated mat hasn't malfunctioned or your friend's cousin's great great uncle's chihuahua's friend has used unregulated pads for years with no issue. They are LUCKY! Damn Lucky! You hear horrible events of unregulated pads destroying entire collections and years of hard work going down the drain from accidents like that in this hobby.

There is still that risk of burning your animal, melting your enclosure, or starting a fire with those unregulated heating elements.
    Why NOT use a thermostat? Why not give yourself that extra blanket of security and safety? Why even leave your animals to that risk?? It could be a small risk, it could be a large risk. Either way, still something I do not want to risk. Paying for a thermostat sure beats paying for vet bills and dealing with an injured animal. It 100x better than having part of your house burn down.
    This sums it up... for the most a thermostat is a relatively inexpensive investment, but a crucial tool that can prevent a truly disastrous situation from occurring.

If your truly comfortable with using a heat pad/tape with out a thermostat I encourage you to plug a piece of 12 inch heat tape and place it under a child's mattress before you go to bed.

**Disclaimer for those who don't understand sarcasm** Do don't place a unregulated heat source under anything as this can be a fire hazard that can cause damage and/or death. With that said, why even risk the chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by martin82531; 11-28-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    0.0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Het Snow BCI
    1.0 Lesser Ball Python

4. The Following User Says Thank You to martin82531 For This Useful Post:

Crazymonkee (11-28-2013)

Thanks
    For a couple bucks I'd rather be safe than sorry. Too much can go wrong, not just the snake, but potentially burning down my house is not something I'm interested in doing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazymonkee For This Useful Post:

martin82531 (11-28-2013)

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Heat

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Since you forgot............ This isn't a spat and I'm not up for PM games.
    I am correcting for lack if a better term, BAD advice given and hopefully saving someone's snake from a bad outcome.
    I had hoped you would realize your mis-interpretation; however, since you have forgotten basic English...

Martin quoted ME and asked ME ~"Do you use a thermostat..." . Notice, that YOU refers to ME, therefore my answer of ~"...not on my 6"X8" is me answering the question posed to me about my methodology. There is simply no grammatical way that could be read as a blanket statement of "Do not use a thermostat".
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Heat

I love how there are only 3 answers to this persons question and the rest are directed at someone else, and the answers have nothing to do with the op's question. Just answer the question asked and leave the rest alone. Arguing with him and telling him stuff he already knows solves nothing. If his method works for him then leave him be, even though it's not right, you don't need to maul him for it. There are tons of threads that speak about the importance of thermostats and I'm pretty sure he's read through a bunch of them. Jumping all over him isn't going to get thermostats hooked up to his heat pads especially since he's owned thermostats in the past. He never said to anyone to just throw out their thermostat and never use them again so just leave him alone and answer this persons question. Jeez.. And

@Physician&Snakes I 100% understand where you are coming from. That's all I'm going to say. Sorry about the rant.

Now back to the topic of this persons question @Op you can either use a heat pad (with thermostat of course since you know what happens without one now) or a heat lamp or use them both. I personally use both since my house is pretty darn cold and our heat likes to go out every year and it can get down to 50 degrees in the house so it's nice for them to have the warmth they need in the winter time but I would just try out each method and see what works best to keep temps correct and humidity in check hope this is helpful and hope you come to a correct answer amongst this mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    To the OP, you use whatever is necessary to maintain a proper environment for your animal. T-stat regulated heat pads make a great hotspot, and bulbs or CHE's can be used to help ambient temps if it is an issue. I prefer a ceramic heat emitter on a seperate t-stat to help control temps, that way cage temps don't fluctuate with the room temperature.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Heat

Edit: Deleted.
    Last edited by 200xth; 11-29-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123