Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

1 members and 3,134 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

Weimaraner getting started

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan View Post
    My mom and i were looking for a dog that was calm and gentle, patient with kids, little health problems, and didn't shed a lot. Our current dog sheds a lot, sadly her former owners kept her outside the entire time they had her because of it, so my mom wants a dog that sheds as little as possible. There are two kids in the house, we have all been around dogs before we were a day old and have been taught from then to command the respect and obedience of dogs and respect the dogs in turn, however the youngest has yet to learn respect for the dogs boundaries. all the databases said they are energetic if they don't receive exercise, but what dog isn't? Anyways, we looked at what dogs had the characteristics we were looking for and found weimaraners, my mom really likes them and she'd spent time around them so she knew they were a good breed, that's why we want a weimaraner. However, if anyone has a good breed that fits what we want in a dog I'd love to know.
    I have yet to meet a young Weimaraner that was calm or gentle, and they don't tend to be the most intelligent breed, either. Try checking out Viszlas. They are a little smaller, but still a good-sized dog, and very loyal to their family.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The Viszlas I have seen also need a lot of exercise as they are in the hunting/bird/gun dog group. I would not have this as an apartment dog if I didn't have a yard. The ones I have known that lived on a farm were extremely friendly, smart, and always on the move. Even having three legs did not stop one from keeping up with two horses and 300 acres. She was also skinny as a rail from all the running she did daily, and she had access to food 24/7.
    The one I have seen someone walking in my old neighborhood looked like a dog I wouldn't want in my apartment. Very wired mentally and just needed a good run or mental outlet. And we know how they occupy themselves when inside.

Ever think of a dachshund or dachshund mix? Short hair, lots of fun, and can be exercised in an apartment. Mine showed up 7 years ago and is the perfect* dog for the apartment, the farm, hiking, kids, adults, other dogs.

*has tendencies to get into the bathroom garbage

Angela

Thanks

Re: Weimaraner getting started

Quote Originally Posted by aldebono View Post
    The Viszlas I have seen also need a lot of exercise as they are in the hunting/bird/gun dog group. I would not have this as an apartment dog if I didn't have a yard. The ones I have known that lived on a farm were extremely friendly, smart, and always on the move. Even having three legs did not stop one from keeping up with two horses and 300 acres. She was also skinny as a rail from all the running she did daily, and she had access to food 24/7.
    The one I have seen someone walking in my old neighborhood looked like a dog I wouldn't want in my apartment. Very wired mentally and just needed a good run or mental outlet. And we know how they occupy themselves when inside.

Ever think of a dachshund or dachshund mix? Short hair, lots of fun, and can be exercised in an apartment. Mine showed up 7 years ago and is the perfect* dog for the apartment, the farm, hiking, kids, adults, other dogs.

*has tendencies to get into the bathroom garbage
    You might just be stating that it isn't a breed you would want if it's in an apartment, but I'm pretty sure the OP used the word "house" (no sarcasm intended). I agree that they are very high energy, but so is the OP's current dog. Dachsunds' tendencies toward back injuries/problems would prevent me from ever getting one to play with young children or a larger, high-energy dog like the OP's GSP. Just my $0.02.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Retired racing greyhound or a pup that couldn't make it onto the tracks.
    Easy to maintain. Very short fur. Not super high energy, but can still be fun. Pretty lazy house dogs actually off the tracks. Always in need of a companion home.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

aldebono (12-09-2013),Annarose15 (12-09-2013),Crazymonkee (12-15-2013)

Thanks

Weimaraner getting started

Quote Originally Posted by satomi325 View Post
    Retired racing greyhound or a pup that couldn't make it onto the tracks.
    Easy to maintain. Very short fur. Not super high energy, but can still be fun. Pretty lazy house dogs actually off the tracks. Always in need of a companion home.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Love these guys!

Thanks

We looked at Vizslas first, my mom loves them too but yeah they are way too hyper, her friends owned one and she spent a lot of time around it so she knew it wasn't a good dog. We do have a nice yard, conservatively I'd estimate it's 20x40ft, and frankly choosing between a calm or active dog I'd pick the later because It seems so much simpler having a dog that's acting crazy and all it needs is to run around at the park for a few hours and go for a walk in the woods for an hour. Way easier than a dog that sits around being lazy and getting fat like a lab, and definitely less stress than a pug or English bull dog that you have to be careful to give them the right amount of energy so they stay healthy but don't overexert themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12