Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,646

0 members and 2,646 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to distinguish between different BEL's

I accidentally posted this in the "Is this a morph" sub forum so I'm reposting here.

I need a bit of help. I have a Mystic Potion and am thinking of breeding her. As a mate, I was considering another MP to produce Super Mystics, Mystic Potions, and BEL's (Super Mojaves). However, I don't like the Super Mojaves with the brown head. So I thought a BEL with from a Mystic and another BEL complex snake would work. However, I have no idea how (or if it's even possible) to tell the difference between other BEL's.

For example, if I breed my Mystic Potion to a Mystic x Lesser BEL, I believe I would get the following:

1/4 Super Mystic
    1/4 Mystic Potion
    1/4 BEL (Lesser x Mystic)
    1/4 BEL (Lesser x Mojave)

Anyone have any advice how I would be able to tell the two BEL's apart?

Thanks!

Thanks
    I don't think you will be able to tell them apart, only BELs you can easily tell apart are super mojos cause of their colored head.

I know people use black lights to sometimes see pattern in BELs when recessives or other codoms not in the direct lucy complex are present, but I don't think regular BELs show anything under a black light.
    0.1 GHI Mojave
    0.1 Super special h scaleless
    0.1 Desert ghost
    1.0 WC Dinker

Thanks
    difficult.

i know one respectable and reputable breeder in germany appears to have lost track in parts of his collection, he had lots of BELs for sale that were labeled as "lesser + mystic/phantom/mocha/russo". basically guaranteed to have one copy of lesser, aaaand... well, some other BEL gene on top.

in your pairing, these two would be indistinguishable:
    1/4 BEL (Lesser x Mystic)
    1/4 BEL (Lesser x Mojave)
    and both look extremely similar to super lesser. super mystic and mystic potion can also be hard to tell apart.

sometimes UV light / blacklight can reveal some pattern that is otherwise invisible, but i dont know if its useful here.

i guess the only way to be sure about the genetics (without proving them out) is to plan the pairings accordingly.

basically, pick and plan for pairings leading to unambiguous results. like mystic potion to super mojave, or super lesser to super mojave, or (if you can tell apart super mystic from mystic potion) mystic potion to mystic potion. or super mojave to lesser mojave, super mystic to lesser mojave, etc. generally super forms (or single-gene animals) make things easy and lessers/butters make things hard.

also if you combine lesser and butter, or mystic and phantom, you will never ever tell them apart again.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks

Re: How to distinguish between different BEL's

I was afraid of that. I might see if I can find some pic's of BEL's under black light and see if there is any visible difference.

Thanks
    I think NERD had a video of using black light to tell some BELs apart but that may be limited if the underlying genes are similar
    2.0 Red Tail Boa (BCC) - Neil, Hermes (Suriname)
    0.1 Normal Ball - Moonlight (RIP)
    1.0 BEL (lesser x mojave)
    0.1 Pinstripe - Starlight
    1.1 Dogs - Champ, Megan

Thanks

I found that video, but the comparison was done with a Spider BEL. Thanks.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    With the mystic having virtually the same patterns as a mojave, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to tell a difference between the Lesser Mystics and Lesser Mojos. Even with a black light, you'll probably still have no way of having a difference. It would still be an awesome pairing.
    Lots of BPs, and still not enough!

https://www.facebook.com/selectmorphs

This is addictive...what did I get myself into?...

Thanks

I would love to do it just b/c of the number of cool combinations I could get (Super Mystics, Potions, BEL's).

Anyone have any other recommendations for breeding a Mystic Potion?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fleapower View Post
    I would love to do it just b/c of the number of cool combinations I could get (Super Mystics, Potions, BEL's).

Anyone have any other recommendations for breeding a Mystic Potion?
    super mystic to super mojave would obviously be ideal ^^

apart from that, (given that you manage to tell apart mystic potion and super mystic)..... mystic potion to mystic potion, mystic potion to super mystic, mystic potion to super mojave. and variatios of that involving single-gene BPs would also be fine.

EDIT: im the opposite, i like super mojave because of their grey head ^^ lesser makes nice high-white BELs, but when you also work with potions it has the drawback of introducing that uncertainty. super mojave to lesser mystic would also work nicely, you get potions and high-white BELs that will be lesser mojave. and it wont produce more super mojaves.
    Last edited by Pythonfriend; 11-25-2013 at 03:40 PM.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

Thanks
    It seems the root of the problem is that the Mystic and Mojave are so hard to tell apart to begin with. What about a pure gene BEL like Super Special vice a Mystic x Lesser? Can a Mystic x Russo be distinguished from a Mojave x Russo?

Maybe I'll just go with a Super Mystic and produce more of the same and some Potions.

What if I went completely outside of the BEL complex? What else goes well with Mystic or Mojave genes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast