Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,595

0 members and 1,595 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Feeding Questions

I tried to feed Monty a f/t hopper last night, but he didn't take it. He seemed semi interested in it....he slithered around it and held his head over it & "yawned" right above it (thought he was gonna take it), but then retreated to his hide. I offered it on tongs, danced it around in front of him & then just left it in front of his hide overnight, thinking he may just want to be alone when he eats. It was still there this morning.

This was his first feed attempt with me. Should I wait until next week to try again? Or could I try something different today? I also redid his tank last night....could this have been too much for him in one day? I also added a second hide to the cool side & now he has been staying there, instead of the warm side. It's only about 74 degrees on that side. Do you think that could be because this hide is smaller & feels more secure? I don't want him to get cold. Should I change him warm hide to the same kind?

Thank you!

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Feeding Questions

Quote Originally Posted by thejenius77 View Post
    I tried to feed Monty a f/t hopper last night, but he didn't take it. He seemed semi interested in it....he slithered around it and held his head over it & "yawned" right above it (thought he was gonna take it), but then retreated to his hide. I offered it on tongs, danced it around in front of him & then just left it in front of his hide overnight, thinking he may just want to be alone when he eats. It was still there this morning.

This was his first feed attempt with me. Should I wait until next week to try again? Or could I try something different today? I also redid his tank last night....could this have been too much for him in one day? I also added a second hide to the cool side & now he has been staying there, instead of the warm side. It's only about 74 degrees on that side. Do you think that could be because this hide is smaller & feels more secure? I don't want him to get cold. Should I change him warm hide to the same kind?

Thank you!
    What are the warm side temps? Wait a week or two.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Physician&Snakes View Post
    What are the warm side temps? Wait a week or two.
    Warm side temps are ranging from 93-95. I have UTH and thermostat, but I didn't know I needed the thermostat until after the UTH was already in place, so it is taped onto the UTH with silver AC tape. I have about a 1/2-1" of cocunut husk.Hopefully I am getting correct readings. My next purchase is an IR gun, so I know for sure.

With waiting a week or 2....I'm worried she'll starve. She's already on the thin side, I believe. Ugh. And should I try F/T again, since that is my ultimate goal? Or should I go live?
    Last edited by thejenius77; 11-22-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks
    Personally I would lower that warm side to 90F and up the cool side to 80F. 74-95F is a big difference, and I have heard that, due to respiratory risks, your amibent air should not drop below 75F. You can do this by adding a low wat heat bulb or red light. I use a 50W red light and it brings my glass vive to 79F on the cool side, 81F on the warm side when placed in the middle of the tank - although this can dry out the vive somewhat. But, I do have just a glass tank which is a whole other thing.
    Just remember that BPs are from tropical Africa, and like it more moist and warm than we do

I think when those temperatures are changed a bit your snake will show more interest.

There are many threads about different techniques to try for picky eaters, as well! Try a search and see what comes up; there's lots.

Just one quick question, when you said you offered a hopper, did you mean a rat or a mouse hopper?

Good luck!

P.S.
    How much does your snake weigh, and what age?

2 weeks without eating will definitely not starve her/him. They can go quite awhile without eating. As a hatchling mine went without for about a month and lost maybe a couple of grams.
    Last edited by NH93; 11-22-2013 at 12:09 PM.
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NH93 For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (11-22-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Warm side temps are ranging from 93-95. I have UTH and thermostat, but I didn't know I needed the thermostat until after the UTH was already in place, so it is taped onto the UTH with silver AC tape. I have about a 1/2-1" of cocunut husk.Hopefully I am getting correct readings. My next purchase is an IR gun, so I know for sure.

With waiting a week or 2....I'm worried she'll starve. She's already on the thin side, I believe. Ugh. And should I try F/T again, since that is my ultimate goal? Or should I go live?
    She won't starve to death in 2 weeks, but you don't have to wait that long to try again either.

How old is she? How much does she weigh? Was it a rat hopper or mouse hopper?

I personally think you can try again in 3 or 4 days if you want. You can also try FT again if you choose. Keep an eye on her weight, though. If she keeps refusing to eat and starts losing weight, you will need to do some live feedings.
    Last edited by 200xth; 11-22-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
    Personally I would lower that warm side to 90F and up the cool side to 80F. 74-95F is a big difference, and I have heard that, due to respiratory risks, your amibent air should not drop below 75F. You can do this by adding a low wat heat bulb or red light. I use a 50W red light and it brings my glass vive to 79F on the cool side, 81F on the warm side when placed in the middle of the tank - although this can dry out the vive somewhat. But, I do have just a glass tank which is a whole other thing.
    Just remember that BPs are from tropical Africa, and like it more moist and warm than we do

I think when those temperatures are changed a bit your snake will show more interest.

There are many threads about different techniques to try for picky eaters, as well! Try a search and see what comes up; there's lots.

Just one quick question, when you said you offered a hopper, did you mean a rat or a mouse hopper?

Good luck!

P.S.
    How much does your snake weigh, and what age?

2 weeks without eating will definitely not starve her/him. They can go quite awhile without eating. As a hatchling mine went without for about a month and lost maybe a couple of grams.

I am also using glass. I have a 75w red light on the cool side, but it sure doesn't seem to be doing much. My house is pretty chilly in the winter time. I don't know what the ambient air is. I really need the IR gun. Today, I did add a towel to the top of the tank, that covers everything but where the light is. Hopefully that brings the temps up. I will bring the UTH down a few degrees.

I tried a mouse hopper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 200xth View Post
    She won't starve to death in 2 weeks, but you don't have to wait that long to try again either.

How old is she? How much does she weigh? Was it a rat hopper or mouse hopper?

I personally think you can try again in 3 or 4 days if you want. You can also try FT again if you choose. Keep an eye on her weight, though. If she keeps refusing to eat and starts losing weight, you will need to do some live feedings.

I'm not positive on his age. Or sex for that matter. LOL! But I was told that he is 6-9 months. I don't know his weight either. Next on my shopping list....scale.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I'm not positive on his age. Or sex for that matter. LOL! But I was told that he is 6-9 months. I don't know his weight either. Next on my shopping list....scale.
    If the age is correct and she's average size for her age, a mouse hopper is far too small.

Without a scale, you can eyeball the food. The prey item should be about as big around as the snake is wide at her widest part. Don't be fooled by the small head and thin neck relative to the wide part of her body...she'll get the food down if it's about as wide as her widest part. I would guess at least rat pups, maybe weaned rats, but mouse hopper is almost definitely too small.

Wait a few days, make sure all the temps are correct and the environment is all sorted out, get a bigger food item and try again.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 200xth For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (11-22-2013)

Thanks
    Try a RAT! That seems to be what they prefer!

Rats are much larger than mice, and a mouse hopper seems awefully small... even for a hatchling BP. Go with the size of rat that equates to the thickest part of the snake.

You really should invest in a scale, as this is a very useful tool when feeding and keeping on eye on the health of your snake. You can get a digital scale from a big-box store for around $10. For hatchlings, the rule is 10-15% of their body weight for feedings.

I would think that with a 75W bulb your ambient air temp should be ok. How are you measuring - as in, where did the 74F come from? You will want a digital thermometer for measuring probably, as dials are not accurate. You can get a temp gun if you like I have both a digital thermometer stuck to the side and a temp gun (they are a bit expensive though, mine was $36 from a reptile shop).
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

12. The Following User Says Thank You to NH93 For This Useful Post:

thejenius77 (11-22-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NH93 View Post
    Try a RAT! That seems to be what they prefer!

Rats are much larger than mice, and a mouse hopper seems awefully small... even for a hatchling BP. Go with the size of rat that equates to the thickest part of the snake.

You really should invest in a scale, as this is a very useful tool when feeding and keeping on eye on the health of your snake. You can get a digital scale from a big-box store for around $10. For hatchlings, the rule is 10-15% of their body weight for feedings.

I would think that with a 75W bulb your ambient air temp should be ok. How are you measuring - as in, where did the 74F come from? You will want a digital thermometer for measuring probably, as dials are not accurate. You can get a temp gun if you like I have both a digital thermometer stuck to the side and a temp gun (they are a bit expensive though, mine was $36 from a reptile shop).
    I have the Acu-Rite thermometer with the warm side probe and the unit on the cool side, that also measures humidity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast