Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,773

2 members and 2,771 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

My Snakes Wont Eat F/T :(

Hey so I have a BP and a boa and they wont snatch up frozen/thawed rats...I hate feeding live cause its a pain and sad and dangerous. Any tips on switching?!
    WVU

1.1 Red Tail Boas (Dennis & Penny)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    What have you tried so far?
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks

Re: My Snakes Wont Eat F/T :(

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    What have you tried so far?
    Well my boa started to feed but my BP won't. I thaw overnight and do the zombie dance and she won't snatch it up or eat when I leave it. Husbandry is all fine by the way. I might just have to feed her live I just don't like to
    WVU

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    I have two BPs that won't take f/t, but here's some tips to try that's worked to convert my other snakes who were on live from the breeder/seller to f/t for me:

Heat up the feeder with a hairdryer and blow that hot air towards/around the tank/tub. Once I get that rat smell going they know it's eating time and come right out in the front of their tubs or cages.

Leave the f/t at the entrance of a hide overnight (in front of whatever hide they're in so they need to pass it to leave the hide): most of the time it would be gone in the morning but sometimes you'll need to toss the uneaten one in the morning.

If feeding rats thaw out a mouse and rub that f/t mouse over the f/t rat to scent it: some of my guys have a better response to mice but I prefer to keep them on rats so I've done this sometimes to maybe make them smell a little different.

Try offering at a different time of day than what you have been.

I've read of some dipping the feeder in tuna or chicken juice (never worked for me) or braining the f/t feeder (never worked for me either) but those may be something to try too.

Edit: I wouldn't try offering a feeder more often than every 5 days for the ball (I still did every 7 for the slow starters)/every 7 for the boa since offering too frequently can stress the snake out and make them not want to eat.
    Last edited by Daybreaker; 11-21-2013 at 01:53 AM.
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daybreaker For This Useful Post:

SamuelWilsonV (11-21-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreaker View Post
    I have two BPs that won't take f/t, but here's some tips to try that's worked to convert my other snakes who were on live from the breeder/seller to f/t for me:

Heat up the feeder with a hairdryer and blow that hot air towards/around the tank/tub. Once I get that rat smell going they know it's eating time and come right out in the front of their tubs or cages.

Leave the f/t at the entrance of a hide overnight (in front of whatever hide they're in so they need to pass it to leave the hide): most of the time it would be gone in the morning but sometimes you'll need to toss the uneaten one in the morning.

If feeding rats thaw out a mouse and rub that f/t mouse over the f/t rat to scent it: some of my guys have a better response to mice but I prefer to keep them on rats so I've done this sometimes to maybe make them smell a little different.

Try offering at a different time of day than what you have been.

I've read of some dipping the feeder in tuna or chicken juice (never worked for me) or braining the f/t feeder (never worked for me either) but those may be something to try too.

Edit: I wouldn't try offering a feeder more often than every 5 days for the ball (I still did every 7 for the slow starters)/every 7 for the boa since offering too frequently can stress the snake out and make them not want to eat.
    She hasn't eaten in 3 weeks now, so I will wait till this weekend an offer a live rat, if she doesnt take that....well then i dont know
    WVU

Thanks
    I was told to try to get the rat to 38 degrees, by this I took it as 'hotter than I'm probably making it' as I had no way of testing the temp of a rat. Apparently a live rat runs at around that temperature.

My BP will eat F/T when she feels like it but not consistently by any means. My next step is to change her prey item to a mulitmammate (not sure if they do these in the US) I was told to try her on one of these and it should ​kick start her feeding. Only one though as they can become a little dependent on these. This is my next step to take in trying to get her eating consistently

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naom9Anne View Post
    I was told to try to get the rat to 38 degrees, by this I took it as 'hotter than I'm probably making it' as I had no way of testing the temp of a rat. Apparently a live rat runs at around that temperature.

My BP will eat F/T when she feels like it but not consistently by any means. My next step is to change her prey item to a mulitmammate (not sure if they do these in the US) I was told to try her on one of these and it should ​kick start her feeding. Only one though as they can become a little dependent on these. This is my next step to take in trying to get her eating consistently
    Hmmm I have heard that as well. I'm not sure where I would get one around me but I guess I'll have to look around tomorrow, thanks!
    WVU

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thaw rodent.

Shortly before you usually end the night, offer it to her wtih tongs.

If she doesn't take it, just put it in the enclosure near her hide. Close up for the night.

I have one who won't eat any other way. No dances, no hot heads, no nothing.

Dead rodent on ground middle of night. Done deal.
    It is okay to use pine bedding for snakes.
    It is okay to feed live food to snakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Naom9Anne View Post

Ironically my picky girl refuses the asfs (multimammate), as well, only a mouse for her lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    Ironically my picky girl refuses the asfs (multimammate), as well, only a mouse for her lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I'm hoping the multi will work to kick start my girls consistent feeding, she's just a royal pain at the moment for feeding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast