Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,459

4 members and 3,455 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Thanks
    I notice that Eco earth is very dusty and the small little particles of it get everywhere. I currently use Eco earth in my leopard geckos humid hides.

Sent from my HTCONE

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: new to the forum

Quote Originally Posted by kingkung View Post
    I notice that Eco earth is very dusty and the small little particles of it get everywhere. I currently use Eco earth in my leopard geckos humid hides.

Sent from my HTCONE
    Eco earth, like all substrates, is what you make it. I use coconut coir (sold under many names like Eco-earth) in my GTP, retic, and ball cages...the stuff works great when you combine it with right stuff. Hope that helps.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks
    I use paper towels... I'm dead high tech

Thanks

If you mist it you don't get all the dust. Just like if you were planting something. You wet the soil a bit and you don't get all the dust. I've never had a problem with dust because I mist the loose kind and when you use the brick you have to wet it to get it loosened. Like I said you need to let the brick sit in warm water then make sure its all loose then let it dry out some so it's not wet when you put it in the cage. Thats a ggreat way of getting mold and getting your snake sick.

Thanks
    I recommend the bag, the brick is a pain...
    It's only dusty if it's completely dry

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Registered User Physician&Snakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomtip View Post
    If you mist it you don't get all the dust. Just like if you were planting something. You wet the soil a bit and you don't get all the dust. I've never had a problem with dust because I mist the loose kind and when you use the brick you have to wet it to get it loosened. Like I said you need to let the brick sit in warm water then make sure its all loose then let it dry out some so it's not wet when you put it in the cage. Thats a ggreat way of getting mold and getting your snake sick.
    I expand bricks as I need them, and it goes straight in the tub as soon as I can break it apart. I have had zero mold issues so long as I provide a top layer of cypress mulch. I always buy the bricks, why? Do the math bud, you come out getting twice the substrate for almost half the price of the bag.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars".- Edwin H. Chapin

"When a man is pushed, tormented, defeated, he has a chance to learn something; he has been put on his wits ... he has gained facts, learned his ignorance, is cured of the insanity of conceit, has got moderation and real skill".
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misha View Post
    I use coco husk and it works out perfectly since it keeps humidity pretty well. It also looks nice to the eye. Good luck at repticon. I take it you're going to the one in Los Angeles?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    Yes. But I think its at the orange county fairgrounds

Sent from my HTCONE

Thanks

I'm lazy and with just 1 bp I get the bag. I don't have to wait for it to expand. If I had more than 1 bp then I would get the bricks. I've never had a problem with dusty coco husk. I also mist it with a hand spray bottle though. If its old then yes you will have a problem with dust because it will be dry. I've never had a problem with mold either because I don't let it get too wet. Good luck on what ever you choose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kingkung View Post
    Yes. But I think its at the orange county fairgrounds

Sent from my HTCONE
    You're absolutely right. I was looking forward to going but I won't be able to make it this year. Have fun and definitely post so.e photos up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
    0.1 Reg. BP Het. Albino (Faye),
    1.0 Albino BP (Henry),
    0.1 Pastave BP Het. Pied (Kira)
    1.0 Pied BP (Sam)
    1.0 Bumble Bee BP (Izzy)

Thanks

I have a ball python and my son has a rosy boa. I think the rosy boa requires a lot less management in terms of his habitat, because we live in the desert - humidity is not an issue for rosy, nor for us. The rosy boa is very docile, slow moving (more active than my BP though), and is a snake my son can care for completely on his own under my watchful eye. My heart belongs to my BP, Tiki, but the rosy boa is easier to care for, in my opinion.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678