Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,913

1 members and 1,912 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD

Thread: Fresh Fruit...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

At what age/size....

If feeding fresh fruit, do I have to puree it or just mash, dice or slice?
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Unless you're feeding something particularly pulpy, I'd mash it pretty well. Even Sandiego, who is over 35 grams, prefers his food smooth over lumpy and will spit out lumps. He leapt out onto Jessica yesterday as she was delivering his papaya and cgd dinner and went straight for the food, but spit out the lumps he came to.
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans
    xnview for resizing and coverting pics

Support Ball-Pythons.net by shopping our store!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    LOL. That's so funny. I figured I'd go the fresh fruit route as often as possible. She's so tiny that she can't eat a whole jar of baby food before I have to toss it (2-3 days). At least with the fresh fruit I can eat it and so can my blue-tongue skink (he/she will be arriving Saturday!). Thanks!
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks

Having Humidity Problems? Help is here!

You're welcome! You might think about preparing it ahead of time and freezing a teaspoon or so in each compartment of ice cube trays, then storing them in freezer bags and labeling them with what variety of fruit it is, whether it has cgd, ggd, vitamins, or nothing mixed in, and when it was frozen. That way you can safely buy and use organic baby food or fresh fruit and not worry about wasting it. You can put a half teaspoon or teaspoon worth in her dish in the morning before you leave for work and have it ready to feed her when you get home. I would bet that any plain baby food or fresh fruit that you freeze would be usable for your skink the same way. (By the way, going off topic, it seems that my dog is a herper at heart, too, as he was trying to catch a juvenile five-lined skink in my carport a few days ago. :lol: )
    3.1.1 BP (Snyder, Hanover, Bo Peep, Sir NAITF, Eve), 1.2.3 Rhacodactylus ciliatus (Sandiego, Carmen, Scooby, Camo, BABIES ), 1.0 Chow (Buddha), 0.2 cats (Jezebel, PCBH "Nanners"), 0.3 humans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    LOL! That's so sweet - your dog was trying to add another reptile to your collection. I thought about freezing her baby food, but she eats so little in a day that the cubes would be almost invisible! But since I'm going to give some to the skink I might freeze the fresh fruit in larger cubes and just divide it up.
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Buddha is helpful that way. The freezing really does simplify the fruit and avoid waste as far as possible, regardless of whether it starts out fresh or in a jar. I don't know if you can find them, but I often see ice trays with little shapes like stars that make smaller "cubes" (not really cubes if they're stars, are they?) that would be easy to use to make smaller servings. I like to give mine more than I know they'll eat, anyway, because it doesn't dry out as quickly that way.