Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,033

0 members and 3,033 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Good Live Plant for Terrarium?

Anyone who can recommend a bushy or viney plant that bps aren't allergic to, not messy, not thorny, and requires a comparative atmosphere? Thanks!

Banned
    Thanks
    All I think is, live plants,humidity,heat = bugs. am I afraid of bugs no,lol,do I want them flying around crawling around my apt hell no .

Banned
    Thanks
    Hope this helps

"When it finally comes to plants to put in the vivarium I try to select plants that are well suited for indoor use. This is due to the fact that they will in fact be indoors and have minimal if any exposure to “real” sunlight. Most plants are much too sensitive to survive very long within a vivarium which houses such stocky snake as the Royal Python P. regius. I have seen Liriope Lily Turf used with some success in the vivarium but understand these will be become compressed over time as the snake cruises. I have also seen Epipremnum aureum Pothos used as well to decorate the branches and the vivarium itself. The Aspidistra elatior or Cast Iron plant is also another plant that I have occasionally used; this plant is really hard to kill even with a cruising snake."

Thanks
    umm, not exactly bushy or viney, but there are a few hard-leaved rainforest plants that work well.

you want something sturdy and slow-growing with thick leaves that doesnt need much light.

one little warning: plants sold for use at home are often full of pesticides. so i would quarantine them for a while and spray them down a lot before putting them in.

i searched and found some good-looking stuff here:

http://www.blackjungleterrariumsuppl...ants_c_16.html

of course you wont really know in advance which plants your BP will leave alone and which plants it will destroy. Its a bit like with cats, some plants get ignored and others get shredded.
    The Big Bang almost certainly (beyond reasonable doubt) happened 13.7 billion years ago. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Evolution is a fact, evolutionary theory explains why it happens and provides four different lines of evidence that coalesce to show that evolution is a fact. If you disagree, send me a PM.
    One third of the global economy relies on technology that is based on quantum mechanics, especially quantum electrodynamics (electron-photon or electron-electron interactions). If you disagree, send me a PM.
    Time Dilation is real, it is so real that all clocks if they are precise enough can measure it, and GPS could not possibly work without it.
    If you disagree, send me a PM.

The 4 philosophically most important aspects of modern science are: Evolutionary theory, Cosmology, Quantum mechanics, and Einsteins theory of general relativity. Understand these to get a grip of reality.

my favorite music video is online again, its really nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABEGc8Dus0

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pythonfriend For This Useful Post:

YoshiBP (11-02-2013)

Thanks

Re: Good Live Plant for Terrarium?

I've found live plants to be more trouble than they're worth. ExoTerra and ZooMed both make some very realistic plants, or you can just do what I did. Go to Michael's or some other craft place and take a look at some of their silk plants. I drilled a hole through some flat stacking stones, hot glued the plants in, then ran a pretty thick bead of silicone around the base.

BAM! Instant lifelike plants. As an added bonus, many silk plants are made with UV inks. So if you're using a "black light" type of heat bulb at night, they'll produce a cool glow effect.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Thanks
    I'm also of no help in the plant department, but I do think you should expect some squashed plants, if they are in with ball pythons, regardless of the species of plant maybe they would hold up better with other reptiles/amphibians, or leaner snakes...
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger