Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,391

2 members and 3,389 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    I'm currently looking for a good starter Boa, I myself have a ball python.
    I don't know if I should jump straight into Red Tail Boas, or is there any other type of Boas a bit smaller? A bit like the Hog Island Boa ... but a bit easier to find.

Thanks
    rosy boas and kenyan sand boas stay small, but i personaly dont like the looks

um....their are localalities (sp?) of the red tail boa, like a cay caulkers, but they might be a lil more expensive, but you could still find a good breeder online that isnt TOO expensive
    0.1.0 Corn Snakes (jesse)

1.0.0 Ball Pythons (james)

1.0.0 Red Tail Boa (jeff)

Python John's Reptiles

Banned
    Thanks
    If everything goes well I'm planning to go to Daytona for the big Reptile Show in August, just wanted to get some boa names so I can do research in advance.

Edit: What do you guys think about Viper Boas?

Also, I'm a bit confused is a Boa c. imperator a red tail boa?
    I read that Boa c. imperator are a good beginner snake.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Judy

RioBravo will be there and he has some Hog's:
    http://www.riobravoreptiles.com/

Good way to save on shipping!

These may help explain the differences:

http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/com.html
    http://www.redtailboas.com/morphs/morphs.html
    http://www.nafcon.dircon.co.uk/boaconstrictor.htm

Sand boas and rosy boas are awesome as well!
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink
    What do you guys think about Viper Boas?
    Viper boas (Candoia) are really cool boas, but everyone that I have talked to that has kept them has said they are difficult. They are or can be very picky about eating and sometime refuse anything but lizards. They also can be very flighty and nippy.
    Is a Boa c. imperator a red tail boa?
    Boa C Imperator is referred to as a red tail boa in the pet trade, but it really is not. The true red tails are the Boa Constrictor Constrictor. If you were to ever see a BCC you will understand why the tails hold the red color a lot better than the BCIs. Most BCIs tails darken into a brown or a brownish red color as they age.
    BCIs can be a good beginner snake, but they can get big. That means that some long term caging commitments need to be planned out early on. A 6x2 cage for a female or 4x2 cage for a male can take up a lot of floor space. If you do decide on going with a BCI please look at a rescue facility as an option for a snake instead of hitting a breeder or store. There are a lot of BCIs in rescue facilities and most times you can get one of them for even less than buying one.
    Look, sometimes bad things happen, and there is nothing you can do about it, so why worry?
    Simba, The Lion King

Banned
    Thanks

thermostat or rheostat?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormyva
    What do you guys think about Viper Boas?
    Viper boas (Candoia) are really cool boas, but everyone that I have talked to that has kept them has said they are difficult. They are or can be very picky about eating and sometime refuse anything but lizards. They also can be very flighty and nippy.
    Is a Boa c. imperator a red tail boa?
    Boa C Imperator is referred to as a red tail boa in the pet trade, but it really is not. The true red tails are the Boa Constrictor Constrictor. If you were to ever see a BCC you will understand why the tails hold the red color a lot better than the BCIs. Most BCIs tails darken into a brown or a brownish red color as they age.
    BCIs can be a good beginner snake, but they can get big. That means that some long term caging commitments need to be planned out early on. A 6x2 cage for a female or 4x2 cage for a male can take up a lot of floor space. If you do decide on going with a BCI please look at a rescue facility as an option for a snake instead of hitting a breeder or store. There are a lot of BCIs in rescue facilities and most times you can get one of them for even less than buying one.
    I actually found a male BCI for adoption, I'm planning to go see him soon.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That's great!
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    im planning on calling the reptile rescue facilty in las cruces to see if they have any up for adoption, (thanks tigergenesis for that link you gave me) maybe a red tail,corn,or another ball. My mom is loosining up on the strict "one snake rule".
    0.1 Albino Redtail Boa
    0.1 Colombian Redtail Boa
    0.2 Salmon Pastel Redtail Boa's
    0.1 normal Ball Python
    0.1 Ball Python.
    0.1 Albino Ball Python
    0.1 Amelanistic Corn Snake
    1.0 Sonoran Gopher
    1.0 Mexican black Kingsnake
    0.1 Luecistic Texas rat snake

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    That's great! Wish I could have adopted some repitles. A lot of the rescues I find are out of my area and won't ship. Those in my area always have burms and other larger snakes.
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Tigergenesis... what you are finding is pretty much the same across the country. It's real easy to place a corn or a king snake that is only 3' long. BPs are pretty easy to get rid of too. When it comes to BCI, retics, and burms it's a different story though. It's a LOT harder to place a snake with that kind of size potential. that is exactly the reason why I cringe when I go into a pet store and see racks full of baby burms and colombian boas. This is also the reason why I am hesitant to breed my Colombians..... on one hand I want to do it for the experience but on the other hand I dont want to throw another batch of snakes out that could very well end up a burden on the rescues, Sorry to get this thread off topic... but I had to vent a little x
    Look, sometimes bad things happen, and there is nothing you can do about it, so why worry?
    Simba, The Lion King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast