Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,353

0 members and 3,353 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Registered User Morphing Unicorn's Avatar
    Thanks

building new rack...looking for same height tubs

I did a couple google searches and found some info on the topic but not exactly what I was looking for. I just converted an old shelf thing that my folks gave me into a rack and looking to build a second one. With this rack I am going to use melamine (or xpvc) and would like to have 12/15qt and 28/32qt tubs. I would like to do something like a combination of these two racks:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ce-w-rack-tubs (scroll down to see pythondave's rack)

http://ssscales.com/archives/290 (3rd pic down)

I would ideally like for the 32qt tubs to be side by side length ways; however, would be ok if I couldn't go that route. As of now, I am thinking that the top two shelves would be for the juvi tubs and the bottom 3 would house 5 32qt tubs each. I was wondering if anyone knows of any tubs in these two categories that are the same height? I did find some 28qt and 12qt tubs that are pretty close (6.25" vs. 6") which probably would work if I leave a bit more of a .25" gap on the 28qt tubs. Ideally they would be interchangeable; however, with the bottom tubs going straight in vs. horizontal it would mean that the top of the rack won't have as much depth as the bottom (i.e. the top tubs will be set back from front of the bottom part since they aren't as long).

If no one has any advice on tubs, feel free to chime in on advice for building racks in general. I am pretty decent with household construction projects. I will also try to get some pics of the rack that I put together a couple weeks ago.

edit: I also forgot to mention that I went with Iris tubs that are pretty close in size with the first one - Iris boot box and Iris sweater box. These tubs are nice, but I hate how I have to melt the feet off of the bottom. I also didn't leave enough space for a gap between shelf and tub, which I will fix in the future and eventually turn the first rack into a QT rack (since it has hatchling, juvi and adult tubs).
    Last edited by Morphing Unicorn; 10-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.