Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,224

1 members and 3,223 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

RUB not reaching correct temperature: Advice!

So, I got my new guy on Monday night and he came with a RUB and heat mat. I bought a habistat mat stat to attach the heat mat to and placed the probe on top of the heat mat as I have read to do in numerous forums and webpages. My problem is that the hot end of the RUB is still a good 10 degrees off what it should be which is worryingly too low!

I popped my digital thermometer probe in the rub and I am getting high humidity and low temperature. I have popped the mat stat probe inside the RUB on the substrate to see if this will help build the temperature but I honestly have no idea what I am doing. I have my girl in a viv and I plan to put my new guy in one when I can afford the ceramic fitting for it.

I need to heighten my temperature and lower my humidity for this guy. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    How thick is your substrate layer? With heat mats the substrate layer needs to be really thin, no more than ½" thick.

What is the temperature of the room the tub is in? Heat mats don't do much for the air temperature inside the tub, they mainly heat things they are in direct contact with. If the room the tub is in is below 24 C a heat mat alone probably isn't going to be enough.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    I'd say I have a loose layer of aspen less than an inch thick I tried to only use so much as to not see through the substrate onto the floor of the RUB, my flat is about 20 degrees (give or take) I have put the heating on to see if that helps the situation at all. My other girl uses ceramic which has no issues with the higher temperature!

Do you think heating the room itself will help to raise the temperatures? I want to get him into a viv asap but I'm in the middle of saving for the proper heating for that and not quite there...

Thanks
    Where exactly are you taking your temperature measurements? Where is your thermostat's probe placed?
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    It was on top of the heat mat (between the heat mat and the RUB) I've moved the mat stat probe inside, on top of the substrate and I have a digital hygrometer/thermometer whose probe I have placed inside also on the substrate above the heat source (not sure if this is right, definately more of a viv person!)

Thanks
    This may seem strange (but heck, I think I am a little strange)...I have a 2ft vivarium which came with him for when I could afford a ceramic bulb. Would it be worth placing the RUB/mat etc in there to try to obtain some of the temperatures or would this be a useless endeavour?

Thanks

Re: RUB not reaching correct temperature: Advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Naom9Anne View Post
    It was on top of the heat mat (between the heat mat and the RUB) I've moved the mat stat probe inside, on top of the substrate and I have a digital hygrometer/thermometer whose probe I have placed inside also on the substrate above the heat source (not sure if this is right, definately more of a viv person!)
    What do you have your thermostat set to? I'm not familiar with the habitat, do you have a way to see how much power is going to your heat mat?

Try placing your thermometer probe on the floor of the tub directly above the heat mat.

- - - Updated - - -

This may seem strange (but heck, I think I am a little strange)...I have a 2ft vivarium which came with him for when I could afford a ceramic bulb. Would it be worth placing the RUB/mat etc in there to try to obtain some of the temperatures or would this be a useless endeavour?
    That could work.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    I'll try moving the probe under the substrate to see if that changes anything! Hopefully I am just being a serial worrier!

You might know if this is usual, got my first meal into my pastel yesterday and she is lounging on (not in) her water bowl, normal?

Thanks

Re: RUB not reaching correct temperature: Advice!

I'll try moving the probe under the substrate to see if that changes anything! Hopefully I am just being a serial worrier!

You might know if this is usual, got my first meal into my pastel yesterday and she is lounging on (not in) her water bowl, normal?
    That can mean a few things:

1. Your snake doesn't feel secure in its hides and is looking for another place to hide.

2. Your snake could have mites

3. Your snake might be feeling dehydrated/getting ready for a shed

4. It could be a sign that your cage temperatures are off.

5. Nothing, it could just be a random occurrence.

Generally speaking most BP's will go into their hides to digest their meal, and not come out for a few days. This isn't a hard rule, but it is common.
    ~Aaron

Thanks
    As soon as she had swallowed the rat weaner she went into her hot hide and stayed there for a full 24 hours, she's just lounging with her tail end on the hot hide and her top half around the rim of the water bowl. (I have two water bowls as humidity was falling far too low)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast