Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

1 members and 2,830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which camera..

Thanks

Re: Which camera..

Quote Originally Posted by sunshinenorcas View Post
    Nikons tend to produce vivid colors in-camera, Canon's are more muted. However, I tend to like editing my pictures in post, and I would rather deal with muted colors which I way I tend to like Canon (plus I grew up on Canon's, so the controls are the same... no learning curve!)

With DSLR's, you will ALWAYS invest more in glass then you will in the body so be prepared for that. The Rebel series are a solid starting out point to find out if you are 'into' DSLR photography, and if you do get into it, you can sell the body and keep the lenses (just be aware that if you upgrade to a full frame that EF-S lenses will not fit it. EF mount lenses fit ALL Canons DSLR's. Pretty sure Nikon has a similar thing, but I don't use Nikons so I honestly have no idea )

I have a 650D/t4i and love that thing to death. But the 600 (t3i) and 550 (t2i) are still very solid cameras and good entry points as well. I personally wanted the higher ISO (12800 vs 6400) so I went with that model. You can change the aperature with lenses, but you are stuck with the bodies capability for ISO... and personally, I've been in situations where with lower lighting a higher ISO would make or break it. The touch screen is also a plus

The t3 is also a good little camera and is 349 on amazon with an 18-55mm lens. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3.../dp/B004J3Y9U6

And also, I'd suggest the canon 40mm pancake. It's 149 (with amazon prime, but about that price at the shops), and it's pretty much replaced my kit 18-55. http://www.amazon.com/Canon-40mm-2-8...n+40mm+pancake It's SO SMALL and light, and it's a great walk around and portrait lens. I've used it with Tali with a lot of success. Higher aperture (2.8)=less depth of field, so it's good for isolating subjects. Right now, I use it and my kit 55-250mm lens (http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm...+-+250+mm+lens) most of the time for my work. Between those three, that's a good and relatively inexpensive-in the grand scheme of photography- entry point to see if its for you or not.

It's hard to say 'THIS IS THE BEST CAMERA EVER GET IT' because honestly, most entry level cameras are on similar tiers and you can get great results... if you can use them. I know people who have older equipment then me and are SO MUCH better because they can use it, and I know people who have better equipment then me and I'm better because of poor composition or settings. You really want to learn how to use manual for these guys, or at least start out using the semi-manual (Aperture priority- you pick aperture, camera picks shutter and ISO and Shutter priority- you pick shutter, camera picks aperture and ISO) to be able to get great results. Plus having good glass always helps Learning manual isn't super hard- there are lots of good tutorials!- but it does take time to get it innately so you know how to compensate for lighting and your subject, and what you are trying to achieve.

+1 I use a Canon Rebel XSi (450D). I love it but I will say that a Nikon will get you better low-lighting shots. However, the biggest thing to remember is that glass is what matters most, hardly the camera. Unless you're shooting for big design firms or ad agency's, 12MP will be more than enough resolution for you. The real money is in the glass. For snakes in particular you'll want a fast lens. Faster lenses typically are fixed focal length lenses, not zooms. Also, typically, the lower the f stop the camera is rated at, the faster the lens is as well.

Thanks

Which camera..

I would go for the canon t3i or possibly a newer model if there is one? I have a canon t1 rebel and I love it but it doesn't take videos which came out right after I got it haha. I did get it at eBay for a good price tho, they were going for 500 retail and I got it for 400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by alykoz; 12-21-2013 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 993 Posts

Re: Which camera..

Quote Originally Posted by alykoz View Post
    I would go for the canon t3i or possibly a newer model if there is one? I have a canon t1 and I love it but it doesn't take videos which came out right after I got it haha. I did get it at eBay for a good price tho, they were going for 500 retail and I got it for 400.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    t5i is the current, which is currently on replacement by the Rebel SL1 which amazon had on special yesterday for 369 with free overnight shipping :-)
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Retics are my passion. Just ask.

www.wildimaging.net www.facebook.com/wildimaging

"...That which we do not understand, we fear. That which we fear, we destroy. Thus eliminating the fear" ~Explains every killed snake"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to reptileexperts For This Useful Post:

alykoz (12-21-2013)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12