Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,367

1 members and 3,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Switching off live feedings

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post
    I understood it fne and I think someone with a reading disability could have as well..... I don't see what u care for
    You have 304 posts of useless information. I didn't ask if you or anyone else could read it. Proper spelling is always a nice trait to have

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MJT_23 For This Useful Post:

DooLittle (10-20-2013)

Thanks
    From my experience, most adult ball pythons will switch to frozen / thawed, but it has a lot to do with feeding technique. Newer keepers often tend to think they should remove the ball python from its enclosure and place it in a separate feeding container. Or they want to just lay the dead prey down and expect the ball python to take it. These techniques may work fine for some types of snakes, but they do not usually work well for ball pythons. Everyone does things differently, but I have switched multiple adult ball pythons from live to frozen / thawed by doing the following:

1. Feed at night when it is dark. Make the switch when the snake has been feeding regularly on live and is due to be fed.
    2. Leave the snake in its enclosure and don't remove it from it's hide if it is inside.
    3. Choose a frozen / thawed prey item that is a similar type and size as the snake is used to eating.
    4. Warm the prey (hot water works well, or some people use hair dryers).
    5. Use feeding tongs to dangle the warmed prey item about three inches away from the snake's face if it out or at the entrance of its hide if it is hiding inside.
    6. Be ready for the snake to strike and grab the prey very quickly. Once that happens, leave them alone, and they will almost always eat the prey.
    7. If that didn't work, consider trying this again at a later time using a fresh killed rodent that is still warm instead of a frozen / thawed one. Some will transition better if fresh killed is used temporarily.

Good luck!
    ~Wendy~

RepStylin®

Reptile Collection: Amazon Tree Boas, Ball Pythons, Boa Constrictors, Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Carpet Pythons, Chondro, Corn Snakes, King Snakes, Milk Snakes and a Retic. Too many morphs to list anymore!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post
    Then I advise don't take the snake,cause if it don't make a switch,then what are you going to do?? Give it to the wrong person or jussive it away or not feed it.. Apparently you are not ready to own a snake or prepared. I say you pass all together. I'm just being honest here. Feeding live is sometimes an only option.
    I've got a few Corn Snakes myself, I got all from local breeders when they were hatchlings so I never had to deal with this. Thank you for your concern. My first priority was is this something I can do easily, if not, then you are correct, I am not the best owner for the snake.

I've got a friend back in Kansas City who is more than willing to take the snake. His Rainbow Boa passed away earlier this yesr, and he's been wanting another snake. It's looking like he's going to be the one who will end up with her, she'll be heading down this weekend once we figure out transport.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slims88 View Post
    I've got a few Corn Snakes myself, I got all from local breeders when they were hatchlings so I never had to deal with this. Thank you for your concern. My first priority was is this something I can do easily, if not, then you are correct, I am not the best owner for the snake.

I've got a friend back in Kansas City who is more than willing to take the snake. His Rainbow Boa passed away earlier this yesr, and he's been wanting another snake. It's looking like he's going to be the one who will end up with her, she'll be heading down this weekend once we figure out transport.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.
    Sounds good man,best of luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12