Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,877

1 members and 2,876 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Velox; Curious about RI.

So, as some might know (I posted in the new people area), I recently acquired a Ball Python, named Velox (Latin for 'swift' or 'rapid'). I'm wildly overcautious about everything it seems (I'll wash a pan before I put it away, and wash it again when I take it out 'just in case'), so I fully admit that I'm a bit silly sometimes.

So far, according to my ReptiJournal (and my own memory!), Velox had the unfortunate occurrence of spending a night in a 67 degree room, with no belly heat, the first night he came home (the heating pad I had purchased was defective, the pet store replaced it, and gave me a half refund to boot!). He seemed alert, friendly, and curious when I inspected him at the expo. He did not eat for about 4 days after I got him, though I'm under the impression they sometimes won't for up to a week or more after first moving, so I feel like that's pretty in order.

Currently, he hasn't been handled much at my house, giving him time to calm down and acquaint to his situation. Really only to feed him, clean his bedding a bit, and add a new hide.

However, I worry that he might have a RI. He seems to breath quite heavily sometimes, which might be my approach, I'm not sure. He doesn't seem to stargaze, or 'wheeze/click' outside the one time he huffed when I went to move him into the feeding tank.

I will say he was relatively 'baggy' when I got him, with a 'line' of excess skin on him, but with the travel, and what I thought was an impending shed, I didn't think much of it.

Now I'm wondering if the excess skin and heavy breathing are really bad signs? We have a vet appointment for Wednesday, which is the earliest I can afford (I get paid biweekly, unfortunately), and the vet doesn't offer a "Pay Later" system. I'm just looking for any idea what may or may not be happening, or if maybe I'm just being overly attentive to a creature that stresses easier than I'm used to.

Thanks
    They breathe heavy when stressed and with the move he can get stress very easily. Is there bubbles or mucous coming from the mouth/nose? Is he clicking? Or wheezing?
    If it's only heavy breathing I think he's fine.

Can you post a pic of him?
    Skin is kinda baggy when in shed, keep the humidity about 70 for now in case it is about to shed, other than that he could be a tad underweight.

I'm not sure a vet visit is in order, it would only cause undo stress if nothing is wrong.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by Crazymonkee; 10-12-2013 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks

Re: Velox; Curious about RI.

If there are no bubbles or mucus coming from his mouth I doubt its a RI. Is he looking up or yawning excessively? Im guessing your just being a little over cautions which is't a bad thing.
    Its most likely breathing heavy because of stress or vibrations that he is feeling when you mess with his enclosure.
    Good luck
    Last edited by MontyPython22; 10-12-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    They breathe heavy when stressed and with the move he can get stress very easily. Is there bubbles or mucous coming from the mouth/nose? Is he clicking? Or wheezing?
    If it's only heavy breathing I think he's fine.

Can you post a pic of him?
    Skin is kinda baggy when in shed, keep the humidity about 70 for now in case it is about to shed, other than that he could be a tad underweight.
    My profile is of him, but let me... Hrm.

and...

When he lays out, he's a bit more baggy, it's hard to see in this picture (and I don't want to try to stress him by laying him out)
    Last edited by Velox; 10-12-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Thanks
    Can you post a pic of his enclosure

Do you know how old he is... its hard to tell in the pic but does like he could use to put on a lil weight
    Last edited by Crazymonkee; 10-12-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Thanks
    At this point it's been 'lights out' for a bit in his room, so I don't want to bother him, but I can describe it fairly accurately. It's a 20 Gal tank, heat pad on the right side underneath. There's also a heat lamp above the right side (40 watt), thermometer indicates roughly 85 ambient air temp, and IR Gun indicates the substrate temp is around 88. The cool side is roughly 74-76 Air, 75 - 78 substrate. There's a small (toilet paper roll) hide on both sides, and the water dish is on the cool side.

Thanks
    Oops! I forgot to mention, he's about 4.5 months old, give or take a week.

Thanks
    He needs a better hide, that's most definitely the reason he's breathing heavy. It's a big tank and his hides are not making him feel secure.
    The hide should fit him snug and only have 1 opening
    Also are you measuring the humidity I didn't see you mention it
    Last edited by Crazymonkee; 10-12-2013 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Velox View Post
    Oops! I forgot to mention, he's about 4.5 months old, give or take a week.
    Just for reference this is my 4 month old....

Doesn't show her colors good but it shows her body condition.
    What are you feeding him and how often?

Last edited by Crazymonkee; 10-12-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkee View Post
    Just for reference this is my 4 month old....

Doesn't show her colors good but it shows her body condition.
    What are you feeding him and how often?

Right now he's eating a fuzzy every 5 days, give or take. If he seems 'hungry' (cruising, tongue flicking, etc) he I'll try a day early, if not, I try on day 5.

By comparison, Velox seems quite small. As a male, I know his adult size should be smaller, but that much? I'm wondering if he was fed well enough before I got him. Could he be stunted because of that? He does seem to be getting 'bigger' pretty quickly on fuzzies. He's almost ready for the smaller hoppers, but I feel like keeping him on fuzzies until he's ready for an average hopper, just to be sure. WHat do you think?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast