Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,291

2 members and 3,289 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

I didnt get a BP, I have a hungry hungry hippo.

I got Tali on July 7th and I'd guess she was under a 100grams- probably in the 90gram range. I weighed her on the 9th- 3 months and 2 days after I brought her home- and she is now 400 grams! my chunky monkey is growing!

When I originally got her I was told she was a hatchling so I had her on a five day feeding schedule which she was very happy to be on (she likes food. Alot). Since then I was told um, no, shes more likely in the 16 month range so shes been switched to seven days. I got free gerbils so shes eating gerbils for a couple more weeks, but I'm unsure what I should be feeding next. Rat pinks and crawlers are too small (no lump) and while shes eaten a small rat (after thoroughly investigating and staring at it) thats a little too big for her right now. I suppose I could go back to mice, I just hate switching it out so often on her haha even though she takes everything like a champ. And I dont want to buy a ton of crawlers or mice because shes been shooting up like a weed. She went from 18inches and 98grams to 26inches and 400grams and 4inches around in three months. I think she'll be ready for small rats soon I just dont know how soon.

and have a tali picture.
    Last edited by sunshinenorcas; 10-11-2013 at 06:36 PM.

0.1 Normal Ball Python 'Tali'
    0.1 Western Hognose 'Argo'
    1.0 Jack Russell Terrier 'Keiko'
    0.1 Mexican Golden Red Rump Tarantula 'Charlotte'
    ----
    "Some Day"
    -Blood Python
    -Hoggs Island Boa
    -Red Tail Boa (Sunglow)
    -Mexican Black Kingsnake
    -Rosy Boa
    -Sand Boa
    -More BP's (Bumblebee, Pied, Pastel)

Thanks
    My white diamond male, who's right at 360 grams, has been eating small rats for about a month now. They are on the small side of small.
    He too is always hungry. I accidentally threw a mouse in with him after the last feeding, he got slid into the wrong slot,
    and wham, he took that one too. I'm not one for over or power feeding so that wont happen again.
    She's a cutie, good luck.
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power,
    then we will know peace. Jimi Hendrix

Thanks

Re: I didnt get a BP, I have a hungry hungry hippo.

I would think she'd do fine with small rats. I assume you're feeding f/t? Don't feel bad about switching her meals, as long as she takes them. I have a girl a little bit bigger her that started out on mice for her first few months, now she flips flops between rats and ASF, depending on what I have more of. If she's a hearty eater for the time being, take advantage of it!

Thanks
    I know the feeling, Magnus is pushing 500g and one small rat didn't look big enough for him today. So out of curiosity I offered the other and that was snapped up as quickly as the other one was. Seems like 400-600 is the "eat anything that is offered" range.

Still gonna wait 3 days before handling and probably 2 weeks before his next feeding, but he'll be getting a medium at that point, depending on what the weight of that medium is.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Banned
    Thanks
    My baby boy BP is a couple months old..I've had him for 4 weeks and he has ate 7 times so far.. Just about 30 mins ago he ate his first live medium mouse, and like a pro, I went from FT fuzzies to FT small mice. But I couldn't be more proud of him. He is always hungry and never refuses a meal,so far so good.

ill be feeding him FT med mice for now every 5-6 days..with a treat every few weeks of a live mouse.

come Sat I am buying a scale .
    Last edited by NYHC4LIFE8899; 10-11-2013 at 07:17 PM.

Thanks

Re: I didnt get a BP, I have a hungry hungry hippo.

Quote Originally Posted by qegalpal View Post
    My white diamond male, who's right at 360 grams, has been eating small rats for about a month now. They are on the small side of small.
    He too is always hungry. I accidentally threw a mouse in with him after the last feeding, he got slid into the wrong slot,
    and wham, he took that one too. I'm not one for over or power feeding so that wont happen again.
    She's a cutie, good luck.
    Thanks! She is a pretty little girl

Quote Originally Posted by MootWorm View Post
    I would think she'd do fine with small rats. I assume you're feeding f/t? Don't feel bad about switching her meals, as long as she takes them. I have a girl a little bit bigger her that started out on mice for her first few months, now she flips flops between rats and ASF, depending on what I have more of. If she's a hearty eater for the time being, take advantage of it!
    Yup, she's on f/t. I heard switching can be stressful, but now that I remember better, the conversation was talking about hatchlings who didn't want to start eating not well established yearlings xD So um, jk haha. I have three more gerbils I think (so three weeks), so I will probably just get a few large mice until I feel secure about small rats then start her on rats. As fast as she's growing and chunking up, she shouldn't have to switch up to medium rats for a longggg time.

----
    "Some Day"
    -Blood Python
    -Hoggs Island Boa
    -Red Tail Boa (Sunglow)
    -Mexican Black Kingsnake
    -Rosy Boa
    -Sand Boa
    -More BP's (Bumblebee, Pied, Pastel)

Thanks
    Haha sounds good! As long as she's eating well for ya, keep it up When my other dude was at a weird stage where he wasn't quite big enough for the rats I had, but too big for a mouse, I'd give him a large mouse and an ASF. He seemed pretty content with those! I've been feeding mine a 'mixed diet' from hatchling up to 1kg, so I don't think it hurts. That's just my experience though, could be totally different for others'. Good luck with your little chunker!

♫ I live on an island way out in the sea ♫
    Thanks
    I dunno if anyone has mentioned this yet, but every time I hear someone who put their BP on gerbils or hamsters got stuck on said rodents. Their snakes developed a taste for them, and refused all other food. So that might be something to watch out for.
    1.0 Normal {S.W.A.N.}
    0.1 Lesser Platinum {Genesis}
    1.0 Lemon Blast {Fabio}
    0.1 Borneo STP {Coho}
    0.1 Green Iguana {Goober}
    0.0.0 A. brocklehursti {Vengence}
    0.1 G. rosea {Kiwi}
    0.0.2 B. albopilosum {Sideshow Bob}
    0.0.1 G. pulchripes
    1.0 P. regalis
    0.0.2 Reef Tank: 20g, 9g

Thanks
    I've heard that too, but it seemed like a lot of the time I heard/read about it were when snakes who were difficult feeders to begin with and were given hamsters/gerbils/ASF's to get them started and then they didn't want to switch back over. Tali's such a happy eater, I don't think I'll have an issue getting her to switch back to mice or rats, especially because she's only had two or three, and I only had five total.

----
    "Some Day"
    -Blood Python
    -Hoggs Island Boa
    -Red Tail Boa (Sunglow)
    -Mexican Black Kingsnake
    -Rosy Boa
    -Sand Boa