Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,916

1 members and 2,915 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I feed my pup Fromm. It was what her previous owner had started her on (their bulldog would only eat Fromm). I've stuck with it because it's a good food that she enjoys. Her coat is fantastic and her bowel movements are fine. Vet says she's 100% healthy.

Only downfall is if I grab the salmon one by accident she gets some horrible horrible horrible gas.

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Fellow dog owners - what food do you feed?

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    This is really a crazy thread. We're talking dog food and I, among others, are telling people about the difference between feeding high quality food versus Pedigree and Science Diet...

For all we know, we're talking to people who feed Fruit Loops to their kids everyday for breakfast and chicken nuggets for lunch (very common thing in the USA).

If you're the fruit loops/chicken nuggets to your kids kinda person, the Pedigree is just going to fly over your head. Lots of children grow up and die of old age eating Fruit Loops for breakfast.

So, we Prey-Model Raw feeders would be like your human Paleo Dieters. The BARF/Blue Buffalo/Fromm/etc crowd are those who would go buy their groceries from Whole Foods and maybe the edges of Publix where the fresh stuff is or the middle part under the Health Food sign. The Science Dieters would be those who buy the main bulk of their groceries from the middle of Publix, and the Pedigree folks would be those who feed mainly on Ramen Noodles.

Here's the first 3 Pedigree ingredients:
    Ground whole corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal

Corn - high protein, low biological value. Poultry by-product... beaks, feet, dregs. Maybe feathers. Maybe unidentifiable bird-like roadkill. High protein, low biological value.

In other words... Ramen Noodles. Crap Food.

What's very interesting about this is that there are lots of people who feed Prey-Model Raw, or BARF, or Fromm, or Blue Buffalo to their dogs who feed Fruit Loops everyday for breakfast and chicken nuggets everyday for lunch to their kids.
    Wow...this is one of the reasons I don't post a lot on this forum because someone always wants to argue about and opinionated/from experience comment. Or argue about a question that doesn't have a 100% correct answer. I didn't comment to argue. There is no perfect dog food to feed your dog. You feed your dog whatever You think is best and whatever food your dog will eat. My dog Would Not eat high priced dog food. If feeding my dog the only food he would eat makes me a bad person than I guess I'm an awful person that would feed my future children fruit loops and chicken nuggets. I don't really appreciate being labeled like that and anyone else who fed their dog the things you listed as bad probably would feel the same way. But that's all I have to say about this subject...To the OP once again whatever you decide to feed your new corgi puppy I hope it carries your dog through a long happy life with you keep us updated on him! Corgis are so cute!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thanks

Re: Fellow dog owners - what food do you feed?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisFitzy View Post
    Wow...this is one of the reasons I don't post a lot on this forum because someone always wants to argue about and opinionated/from experience comment. Or argue about a question that doesn't have a 100% correct answer. I didn't comment to argue. There is no perfect dog food to feed your dog. You feed your dog whatever You think is best and whatever food your dog will eat. My dog Would Not eat high priced dog food. If feeding my dog the only food he would eat makes me a bad person than I guess I'm an awful person that would feed my future children fruit loops and chicken nuggets. I don't really appreciate being labeled like that and anyone else who fed their dog the things you listed as bad probably would feel the same way. But that's all I have to say about this subject...To the OP once again whatever you decide to feed your new corgi puppy I hope it carries your dog through a long happy life with you keep us updated on him! Corgis are so cute!

I think the main point people are trying to make is that the main ingredients in a lot of brand name dog foods are actually things that dogs were never meant to eat and that can actually hurt their health. Dogs are not biologically designed to be able to digest corn or wheat or the artificial colorings and flavorings in most of these foods.
    1.0 LB Hypo het. Trans Bearded Dragon-Dega
    0.1 Normal Ball Python-Semira
    1.0 Pied Ball Python-Sabien
    En route: 0.1 Spotnose 100% het. Pied

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kat_black181 For This Useful Post:

Buttons (10-09-2013),Kinra (10-08-2013),satomi325 (10-08-2013),TerrieL (10-18-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,979 Times in 5,583 Posts

Theres a difference between price and quality, you're confusing the two. Raw diets, as others have said in the thread, can actually be cheaper than feeding kibble. You just have to plan a little and buy stuff in bulk. Your dog relies on you for food, just like your kids will. If you wanna feed your dog crappy food then go for it. It can't say no. It won't know its bad to eat. If you wanna feed your kids crappy mcdonalds everyday then go for it, they wont know its bad for them. There are cheaper, wayyyy healthier alternatives though. Rice and beans beats a big mac in price and nutrition. You see what i mean?
    1.0 normal bp
    mad roaches yo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kat_black181 View Post
    I think the main point people are trying to make is that the main ingredients in a lot of brand name dog foods are actually things that dogs were never meant to eat and that can actually hurt their health. Dogs are not biologically designed to be able to digest corn or wheat or the artificial colorings and flavorings in most of these foods.
    I totally understand that 100% but saying that this one dog food is crap and this other dog food is great doesn't really help. Every dog is different and has different taste. Every dog on earth isn't going to eat this wonderful high priced awesome food that's supposed to be perfect. My dog wouldn't touch the highest quality of food. He was just picky. But if your dog will eat the high priced "quality" stuff then go ahead and feed it to them but if not, you have to feed it what it will eat. That's just my opinion.

Thanks

I totally understand that 100% but saying that this one dog food is crap and this other dog food is great doesn't really help. Every dog is different and has different taste. Every dog on earth isn't going to eat this wonderful high priced awesome food that's supposed to be perfect. My dog wouldn't touch the highest quality of food. He was just picky. But if your dog will eat the high priced "quality" stuff then go ahead and feed it to them but if not, you have to feed it what it will eat. That's just my opinion.

There are many many quality brands of dog food, so I think there's probably one that will suit your dog. It just takes a bit of trial and error.
    1.0 LB Hypo het. Trans Bearded Dragon-Dega
    0.1 Normal Ball Python-Semira
    1.0 Pied Ball Python-Sabien
    En route: 0.1 Spotnose 100% het. Pied

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    This is really a crazy thread. We're talking dog food and I, among others, are telling people about the difference between feeding high quality food versus Pedigree and Science Diet...

For all we know, we're talking to people who feed Fruit Loops to their kids everyday for breakfast and chicken nuggets for lunch (very common thing in the USA).

If you're the fruit loops/chicken nuggets to your kids kinda person, the Pedigree is just going to fly over your head. Lots of children grow up and die of old age eating Fruit Loops for breakfast.

So, we Prey-Model Raw feeders would be like your human Paleo Dieters. The BARF/Blue Buffalo/Fromm/etc crowd are those who would go buy their groceries from Whole Foods and maybe the edges of Publix where the fresh stuff is or the middle part under the Health Food sign. The Science Dieters would be those who buy the main bulk of their groceries from the middle of Publix, and the Pedigree folks would be those who feed mainly on Ramen Noodles.

Here's the first 3 Pedigree ingredients:
    Ground whole corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal

Corn - high protein, low biological value. Poultry by-product... beaks, feet, dregs. Maybe feathers. Maybe unidentifiable bird-like roadkill. High protein, low biological value.

In other words... Ramen Noodles. Crap Food.

What's very interesting about this is that there are lots of people who feed Prey-Model Raw, or BARF, or Fromm, or Blue Buffalo to their dogs who feed Fruit Loops everyday for breakfast and chicken nuggets everyday for lunch to their kids.
    Have to agree with everything that was mentioned here. Just because your dog/child (basically the same thing, especially if you don't have children) only likes Pedigree/Fruit Loops and lives to an old age doesn't mean they lived healthily. There is a HUGE difference between living to an old age and THRIVING to an old age. When you look at a dogs coat/teeth/breath/poop....you can tell if they are a low-quality food eater or a high-quality food eater.

What if your child only wanted to eat McDonalds??? Hasn't everyone seen Supersize Me? Would you give in? I am not a picky eater at all, and that is because growing up my parents exposed me to a variety of different (and healthy) foods. I remember there always being a slab of protein (fish, chicken, beef, pork, etc) a couple different veggies, and sometimes a whole grain carb (rice, bread). Home-cooked suppers 7 nights a week....not frozen chicken nuggets and microwave hungry man dinners.

To the OP: Do some research before purchasing a brand of food. Read the ingredients list, and use common sense. How in the world could "Ground whole corn, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal" sound/be healthier than "Chicken (ground with bone), turkey (ground with bone), whole herring". CORN IS CRAP! It is just a filler!! Why pay $50 for a bag of corn when you can pay $60 for a bag of chicken?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spider_ball For This Useful Post:

satomi325 (10-08-2013),TerrieL (10-18-2013)

Thanks

Whelp I'm done talking. But I hope you can find some great dog food for your puppy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeGuy View Post
    It's not false. Nor is it objective research. It's me sitting in my Animal Nutrition course, which is aimed entirely at the nutritional requirements of canine/feline diets what good methods are for providing them with solid maintenance nutrition throughout all life stages.
    Where are you taking this course and who is paying for it, because 99% of the animal nutrition courses are payed for byyyyy dog food companies!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeGuy View Post
    I attend the Vet Tech Institute of Houston. Nationally accredited program, and one of many existing schools. My nutrition class isn't geared or biased toward anything other than knowing what it takes to make up a healthy animal diet. They wouldn't be teaching us anything that we weren't meant to pass on to pet parents to ensure their animals' health. There is no emphasis towards any specific food brand or type.
    Yep, figures.. No wonder you are learning skewed and false information of animal nutrition, particularly dogs and cats, you are being taught by people who are paid by Hills

As far as kibbles go I preferred TOTW and Diamond Extreme Athlete, we have our pups on Wellness Core Puppy atm and they are doing decent, will be switching them to TOTW once this tiny bag is done
    Last edited by pookie!; 10-08-2013 at 03:53 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pookie! For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (10-09-2013),Mike41793 (10-08-2013),sorraia (10-08-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

I have a suggestion for those picky eaters. There are a few methods to help transition a dog to a different food.

1) Gradually

or

2) Cold Turkey

Gradually: Slowly mix the new food into the old food. Feed 10% new food and 90% old food for a week. Slowly add more new food the next week to a 20% new food and 80% old food. Then the next week: 30% new food, 70% old food. The week after that: 40% new food, 60% old food, etc etc until there is only 100% new food.

Cold Turkey: Just offer the new food. If the dog doesn't eat, then it doesn't eat. Save the food for the next meal and don't offer anything until then. Offer the food for the next meal. If the dog still doesn't eat, then take away the food and don't offer anything until then. By the second or third day, the dog will most likely eat the food.
    We turned my boyfriend's GSD from the pickiest eater ever to a strong feeder this way. She hated the new kibble she was given. She never ate when offered food. But she learned quickly that if she doesn't eat when offered, she doesn't get any food at all. She went 2 and a half days before she finally ate. Now she doesn't really care what kind of kibble she is fed and just eats it normally without hesitation.

You can even squirt some fish oil or sprinkle a tiny bit of freeze dried raw into the food to make it more appetizing for the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by spider_ball View Post
    Hasn't everyone seen Supersize Me

Oh god. *gag gag gag*
    Last edited by satomi325; 10-08-2013 at 04:03 PM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Coleslaw007 (10-09-2013),GoingPostal (10-08-2013),kat_black181 (10-08-2013),Mike41793 (10-08-2013)

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast