Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,030

1 members and 3,029 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Just drank from my bare hands for the 3rd time ever today! I gotta get this on camera at some point!

Thanks
    I love watching my BP drink. Their heads just kinda pulsate... lol I'll have to try this once my guy is a bit bigger!

Thanks

Re: My BP drank from my bare hands again!

I've never heard of such a thing...that is just too cool for words! I'd love to see my kiddos drink at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My normal seems alike. He also drinks his water in my presence and also is eating on dining table from hands There was this one feeding occasion he just didn't want to eat. He was in his enclosure as always when feeding, but this time he just hasn't had interest in food.

I gave up on feeding him on that day and he just seemed he wanted to stroll around our apartment, so ofcourse I took him out and let him roam. When he was on our dining table I offered him a food again. He came close to the rat had a smell and just started eating from my hand. Not striking not even constricting just eating like we do Only after he had rats head in his mouse he coiled a bit around to hold it in it's place for eating

At the same moment my girlfriend was eating her pizza leftovers

Can't wait to see if I can get mine to drink from my hands

There are some crazy snakes running around
    Last edited by jxl; 12-26-2013 at 08:36 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jxl For This Useful Post:

lX V1P3R Xl (02-03-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jxl View Post
    My normal seems alike. He also drinks his water in my presence and also is eating on dining table from hands There was this one feeding occasion he just didn't want to eat. He was in his enclosure as always when feeding, but this time he just hasn't had interest in food.

I gave up on feeding him on that day and he just seemed he wanted to stroll around our apartment, so ofcourse I took him out and let him roam. When he was on our dining table I offered him a food again. He came close to the rat had a smell and just started eating from my hand. Not striking not even constricting just eating like we do Only after he had rats head in his mouse he coiled a bit around to hold it in it's place for eating

At the same moment my girlfriend was eating her pizza leftovers

Can't wait to see if I can get mine to drink from my hands

There are some crazy snakes running around
    See? And they say the days when the whole family gathered around the table for a meal are gone! How's that for a return to good old family values?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Always cool to see the rarer side of ball python behavior - I can never pull myself away whenever I catch one of my BPs drinking

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While some BPs can eat from your hand, it's not good to do it. With the smell of rodent and the heat signatures your snake could miss. Then when it lands on you and you freak out or accidentally go to yank your hand away you can cause an injury to your snake. So while I know this can be done, I honestly consider it a bad judgement call to do it. I in no way mean to offend you, but certain stuff you just don't want people to try because then when they get bit or if their parents see them get bit if they're under 18 it just creates another bad mark on our hobby.
    Last edited by Neal; 12-26-2013 at 05:19 PM.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    While some BPs can eat from your hand, it's not good to do it. With the smell of rodent and the heat signatures your snake could miss. Then when it lands on you and you freak out or accidentally go to yank your hand away you can cause an injury to your snake. So while I know this can be done, I honestly consider it a bad judgement call to do it. I in no way mean to offend you, but certain stuff you just don't want people to try because then when they get bit or if their parents see them get bit if they're under 18 it just creates another bad mark on our hobby.
    If you back up and read it again, there was nothing said about a snake striking a hand held prey item. I don't know the behavior of the other poster's animal, but I DO know the behavior of my own.

While it may seem like a bad judgment call to you, the fact is that the behavior of an individual animal can be learned. From there, accurately predicting what that animal will do in a given situation becomes fairly simple. If you can use that knowledge to demonstrate things like this, like pythons showing recognition of people and taking food from their hands, you allow people to see that they're not dumb, dangerous animals. Far from being reckless, it shows what can be accomplished when you take the time to get to know an animal, respect its intelligence and develop some trust.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by patientz3ro View Post
    If you back up and read it again, there was nothing said about a snake striking a hand held prey item. I don't know the behavior of the other poster's animal, but I DO know the behavior of my own.

While it may seem like a bad judgment call to you, the fact is that the behavior of an individual animal can be learned. From there, accurately predicting what that animal will do in a given situation becomes fairly simple. If you can use that knowledge to demonstrate things like this, like pythons showing recognition of people and taking food from their hands, you allow people to see that they're not dumb, dangerous animals. Far from being reckless, it shows what can be accomplished when you take the time to get to know an animal, respect its intelligence and develop some trust.

Animals are animals and while you think you "learn" they're behavior, the fact is they're unpredictable. This is the reason you see people get killed or injured by large constrictors they thought they knew for the previous 10 years of owning it.

Now, if you would of realized that I wasn't talking to you in the first place, as I was referring to jxl's post where his BP is sitting on the table and he stated that it crawled up to his hand and took the rat out of his bare hands, you would of known that my original post wasn't even directed to you.

It's why I said, if the snake would of struck and missed.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Feeding and offering drink from the hands is so cool and sweet! I love when im holding my snakes and i i just put a rat in the tub and let then strike out of my hands. And if we get bit, oh well, certainly not ganna put a bad mark on the hobby unless your the biggest wino in the world and call up channel 6 news cause you got pricked with the least painful little pin prick youve ever felt. Hell getting bit by a bp is even cute.... And ive been bit hard by a 4850 gram hungry bp. I even knew it was coming, but i needed to weigh her and took her to my friends to feed her after. It left a bruise and looked brutal with blood coming down my arm but guess what, it didnt hurt. The fear is the only thing that hurts us, and i not a chicken when it comes to bp's........ lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast