Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,009

0 members and 3,009 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation Worried about Heat/Humidity For winter months

Hey, first time Poster. I'm Aware of the bashing ill probly get but I need all the info I can get.

So I just moved into a Basement recently and am starting to get worried about heat/ Humidity for the upcoming winter months. Unfortanatly on average my tank heat is around 73-75 and humidity 40-60, with using a spray bottle. I'm Using a Flukers 75 watt lamp with a Zoo Med Nightlight 60 watt Heat Bulb and a Zoo Med 8 watt heating pad underneath the tank under his hide. When Night comes his temperature drops to about 68 without the Lamp going. Its just going to get colder and colder as winter approaches and would like to know every possible methods or set ups I can use to fix this. This is only my 2nd snake I have ever owned and just want to make sure everything goes smooth. Thanks.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Firstly, up the wattage of the lamp and don't drop it at night. If you must use a lamp, use a ceramic lamp.

Secondly, get a room heater if your temps are that low.

Third, visit this link, it will help to keep some heat and humidity inside the tank: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...light=solution

The temps you currently have for your snake WILL give your snake a RI and likely lead to its death. Sorry to be so blunt - but it's true.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rickys_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Raven01 (09-19-2013),snakesRkewl (09-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thats Exactly what I need is Blunt and to the point Info, Thanks

Thanks
    If it is 73-75F in the tank during the day (and also 68 in the tank at night), it makes me wonder what the room temperature is... aren't YOU freezing?? I use a UTH and 50W red bulb for my BP (day AND night!), and it's a steady 80F in his tank (warm side at 90F), while it's 74F for me in the apartment. For the winter, can you not turn your heat up? Or like Ricky said, a space heater would probably work wonders. You can find those cheap on Craig's List or Kijiji (if you're in Canada). Or even at a big-box store.

I'd also suggest instead of having two different wattage bulbs, get a higher wattage night bulb - as well as keeping the UTH on. You might have to mess around a bit to find your "perfect" temperatures.
    Perhaps take a gander at the care sheets on this forum as well, if you haven't already very helpful!

Good luck!
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    You didn't say what kind of thermometers you are using. It is entirely possible that the temps are far colder or far warmer than what you think they are simply because your thermometer is inaccurate.

While the mid 70's isn't terrible for the ambient temperature, it is far too cold if you don't have a hot spot in the low 90's. My advice would be to get some good digital thermometers with probes.

If your humidity is fine with the lamps, you might as well stay with the lamps. You don't need a ceramic bulb, but I think a higher wattage bulb might be on the menu.
    ~Steffe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (09-19-2013)

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, Greatly Appreciated!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nate444 For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (09-19-2013)

Thanks
    I'm using a digital Exo Terra which monitors both temp/ humidity. any recommendations on a different one? I moved the probe (I believe thats what it is) right beside his hide above the UTH to double check the temperature there.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using a digital Exo Terra which monitors both temp/ humidity. any recommendations on a different one? I moved the probe (I believe thats what it is) right beside his hide above the UTH to double check the temperature there.

Thanks
    Is the probe directly on the inside of the glass, in the middle of the UTH where the hottest part would be? Also, is your UTH stuck to the OUTSIDE of your tank?
    I like the digital thermometers too apparently they are the most accurate.
    But you do need more than one. You definitely need a probe for the UTH (and a thermostat, of course to control the heat output), which it looks like you have.
    You'll need another one to measure the air temperature as well, and I'm not sure if you have that already?
    Don't let anyone, ever, make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. - Heath Ledger

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts
    I have a few of those thermometers. They aren't too bad, but sometimes the readings can be off. I have a ton of thermometers to double check them against to see how accurate they are. If your air temps are only in the mid 70's with the heat lamp, it leads me to believe your thermometer isn't reading correctly. Do you have any other thermometers you can double check it with?

Try putting the probe under the substrate right where the UTH is. You want to measure the hottest point the snake can reach.
    ~Steffe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (09-19-2013)

Thanks
    It gets to about 80, Im going to invest in a space heater and another Lamp for a basking side. and go from there. Thanks For All the Advice, Really dont want to put him through any harm...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast