Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

1 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: How often?

Thanks
    How often does a snake shed? How often should I clean the cage? How often should I soak my Corn? HOW OFTEN?!?! LOL. Sorry, my mom is here and those are the questions she asked that I didn't find online. I have a good idea of cleaning the cage but everything else is blurry to me.
    Soon-to-be Corn snake mummy! I'll keep ya updated...any name suggestions welcomed!

How often?

well,,,

a snake will shed more times when they are babies and still growing, so maybe every month, and as they get older, maybe ever 4- 5 months they will shed

spot clean the cage every day, and clean water every day, full cleaning, i do every 2 week,- a month

i dont soak my corn unless she had a bad shed, which she just shed and it was perrrfect

Thanks
    Thank you!
    Soon-to-be Corn snake mummy! I'll keep ya updated...any name suggestions welcomed!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Royal-y_Great
    i dont soak my corn unless she had a bad shed, which she just shed and it was perrrfect
    What is the classification of a bad shed?

more than one piece, and when the skin didnt come off, you can tell becsue it looks like it is just glued there, a good soak will take it off, dont peel it off, soak and use a wash cloth to massage it

BTW, in the last week, both of my snakes shed, my corn snake is now 4.5 feet and my ball python is 3 feet 2 inches, after they shed, i always measure them, means they are growing

Thanks
    Wow! That's awesome... not the shedding thing but the growing thing. Thanks again!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Royal pretty much handled it all, but I'd like to add to the cleaning issue. I spot clean daily, disinfect the water bowl and change water. A full/total cleaning and disinfecting should be done on some kind of regular basis. For me it depends on the species and their substrate as to how often I do this. But what is important is to realize that you must clean and you must disinfect for maximum benefits. There is a difference between cleaning and disinfecting. This page is a great resource on the topic:

http://www.anapsid.org/cleaning.html

Hot soapy water is what you use to clean
    To disinfect you can either use a bleach/water combo, or Nolvasan (aka Virosan) which is diluted with water. I prefer the later because it is totally safe for reptiles - no need to worry about possible residuals as with bleach.

So is your mom excited about getting a snake?
    Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko

Thanks
    Thank you! And yes, she is now that she knows that I've got quite a bit of information in my mind!