Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 856

2 members and 854 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

troubles! lifting scales, a piece of stuck shed and crinkled eye oh no :(

Ok so up until the last week my Dante has been in perfect condition but I just moved to another city and he got a little neglected in the process, I'm ashamed to admit. He shed while I was away getting settled. I left him in my boyfriends care for the week when he told me he had shed again but it was all in pieces all over the tank and he still had some stuck. So when I got home I soaked him in warm water and let him work it off in a towel. It all came off but one small piece on his neck. Then I moved him up here with me, he ate, he seemed fine. He had some scales that felt a little lifted but I checked them out and it doesn't look like rot or mites so I figured I was being paranoid. I took him out last night to check him out again and noticed his belly is pink and he appears faded (I think it's too soon to be shedding no? every 3 weeks seems often but he's in a growth spurt) and his patch of lifted scales is worse and then I noticed he has a crinkle on his eye! I freaked out and upped the humidity after a google search. I'm going to run out and replace my hydrogemeter. I had a digital that crapped out and replaced it with an analog that says it's been at 50% or higher this whole time.
    He's also seeming more withdrawn than normal.

Thanks

Re: troubles! lifting scales, a piece of stuck shed and crinkled eye oh no :(

3 weeks for shedding is pretty normal. Don't get bent out of shape if you dont get a perfect shed. Trust me as long as most of its coming off, its ok.

Just put him in a small tub to soak in warm water for 10-15 while supervising. After that take him out and you should be able to gently peel off his old shed.

For the eye cap shed being stuck what you need to do here is take a warm wash cloth and press it against the eye and hold it there, repeat this a couple times and you should be able to slide it off.
    Last edited by Diamond Serpents; 09-17-2013 at 07:13 PM.
    -Brian-

Thanks
    I have a small set of wash cloths that I moisten up if there is any shed stuck by the head area and leave that in for a few days. I touch it up with a little water if need be, and remove it when I get that stuck shed off. They know what to do with it once they rub up against it.
    Last edited by ARamos8; 09-17-2013 at 07:26 PM.
    Tony.....

3.1 Crumb Snatchers
    0.1 Domestic Engineer