Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,871

0 members and 2,871 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Having Trouble With Temperature Gradient

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    One option would be to get a dimmer switch so you can lower the power going to it which would lower the temps all over. The way it should work out and this isn't guaranteed but it's a guess is if you lower the highest from 92 to 90, then it'll lower the cooler side to about 81-82.

x2
    -~-~-~-~- GELER -~-~-~-~-
    "I thought this was Amurica!?"

Reptiles:
    0.1.0 Pinstripe (Pandora)
    0.0.? More to come!

Mammals:
    1.0 Purebred Black German Shepherd (Conrad)
    Wife (Samantha)

Thanks

Personally I would add a couple small holes low on the cool side and high on the warm side.
    My reason for doing this is tho encourage the warm aid to rise and leave pulling in cooler air on the cool side.
    If you get overzealous some holes can be plugged but I would just add a couple at a time until you get the gradient you want to have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Havalian View Post
    It's 3/8" PVC and was made by Jim who operates pvccages.com.
    EDIT: it has an 80 watt RHP (maybe I should have gone with 40?) and a fluorescent light fixture mounted
    along the front edge just above the doors.

I could do that. Should I put the holes near the top or near the bottom? Or just all over the side I want to be cooler at varying heights?
    Also, does anyone have knowledge of the best way to put holes in PVC? I'm about to ask Google but thought it would be worthwhile to pose the question to people who may have done the same thing for the same reason also.
    40W should do a ball enclosure. I am curious though as to what type of thermostat you are running this RHP on. A proportional control like Herpstat or Vivarium Electronics should in theory dial down the output power even on an 80W to maintain the set temp without dramatic overheating and cooling as a slow on/off thermostat would and I am not entirely sure a pulse control couldn't cause the same issue.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    One option would be to get a dimmer switch so you can lower the power going to it which would lower the temps all over. The way it should work out and this isn't guaranteed but it's a guess is if you lower the highest from 92 to 90, then it'll lower the cooler side to about 81-82.
    The RHP is already controlled by a VE 200 from Reptile Basics. The reason the temps are so high is because I was trying to achieve the correct basking temperature in one spot, but in order to do that the RHP heats the entire cage more than I need.
    Should I just sort of shoot for the middle and have the hot spot be 87-89 so I can keep the other side at 81-82?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raven01 View Post
    40W should do a ball enclosure. I am curious though as to what type of thermostat you are running this RHP on. A proportional control like Herpstat or Vivarium Electronics should in theory dial down the output power even on an 80W to maintain the set temp without dramatic overheating and cooling as a slow on/off thermostat would and I am not entirely sure a pulse control couldn't cause the same issue.
    It is controlled by a Vivarium Electronics VE200. What I have done is hang the probe so it is just under one edge of the RHP. This means in order to achieve the correct temperature on the cage floor I have to put the set temp several degrees higher than what I actually want. When my probe is reading 98-99 the temperature on the floor of the cage is right around 90 on the warm side.

My problem is that to get a hot side temperature of 90 the entire cage is heated to the point that even inside the cool side hide the temperature on the cage floor is a little over 83 degrees.

Is it OK to introduce my snake to its new home the way it is? My main concern is that my snake has always had the option of moving to a spot that is cooler than 83 degrees.
    I'm also wondering which is more important: a hot spot of around 90 degrees or a cool spot around 80?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12