Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

1 members and 2,973 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Rubbermaids.

What kind of tegu do you guys have? Hows the temperment? Where'd you get him? I've been wanting one of the Argentine Black and White Tegu's for a while. I am finally in the postition where i have the $, space, and caging ( at least for a while ) for one and was just wondering what your's was and how it is. Other people i know that own them say they are wonderful animals.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Ours is a B&W as well however I am pretty sure it's Columbian. My son bought him at the all-Ohio how a month or so ago.

This lil guy's a hell of a sport - very personable, active and easily handleable. He loves nothing more than burrowing down into the substrate and hangin out. AWESOME tongues - you won't find any other lizards with tongues this snake-like. THey also have an unmistakable agitated stance so they're pretty easy to read but only time he's displayed that with me was when i accidently woke him up from a nap when the water container clanked against the tank. Very cool lizards - both these and the plateds seem to be nonplussed and not skittish.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    Hmm, I rescued an Argentine Red from the same guy I recued my BP from. Beefy (Tegu), has a lot of attitude on him! Supposedly the reds are very docile but Beefy is anything but docile :shock: He hates my hand in the tank, and lunges trying to assert his dominance every time I am doing maitenence. He is a hell of a character though and I love him We'll see just how his temperment unfolds. I hope to be able to take him for walks in the summer on a leash (no- i'm not joking )

I do have a question though. I have him in a 75g with full spectrum UVA/UVB lighting, water bowl etc., I understand the baisic requirements. However there isn't much info on their diet except that they eat alot of fruits and can eat chicken and turkey. So far i've fed Beefy kiwi, bananna, grapes, starfruit, etc. and cooked chicken with vitamin/calcium supplements and ground turkey with the same supplements. What else can I feed him? What do you feed yours?

I think i'm getting hooked on these guys and my mom is too! She is already talking about getting another Tegu next year, except this one from a breeder. It would be an Albino Blue Tegu.
    Danielle

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    King mealworms, Crickets, and Mice are what people usually feed their tegus I think. They are pretty much kept like monitors, except with fruit added to their diet. A burrowable substrate (like plain old dirt) of sufficient depth would probably also be a good idea.
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

Thanks
    Well i've fed him mealworms and he loves them except for the fact that he can never get them out of the bowl! He throws the bowl around to get them out instead I have him on Cypress Mulch and he loves it! He can dig as well as the mulch takes off any extra shed on his toes that I can't get. I swear this thing is a garbage disposal! Anything I have put infront of him he eats with delight
    Danielle

Thanks
    Thanks for the info guys! I think i'll be picking that little guy up this week. I'll post pics when i can.
    - Carson
    Compadres, it is imperative that we crush the freedom fighters before the start of the rainy season. And remember, a shiny new donkey for whomever brings me the head of Colonel Montoya.

Thanks
    Awesome Carson! You will love he/she to death! I know I love Beefy even with his 'tude He is a hell of a character too. You will not regret getting he/she!
    Danielle

Thanks
    WRONG! We have a gold - color brightened up considerably with some decent lights.

"I don't FEEL tardy . . ."

Thanks
    Wow what a beauty :shock: That is a stunner of a Tegu! I want another :mrgreen:
    Danielle