Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,509

1 members and 2,508 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    My new Ball Python loves to climb around his cage as well. At first I thought there was something upsetting him, but now that I can accurately monitor everything in his cage, nothing temperature or humidity wise should be bothering him. It's always at night too, so I think he just likes to explore at night due to being nocturnal! It's funny hearing him rustling around in his leaves and one time I walked in to see him curled around his whole branch. Still can't tell if he just likes moving around at night when he's awake and feels safer or if he's still just exploring his new cage.

I think the previous owner handled him a lot so he's too used to being taken out of his cage, but he had just eaten the day before so I was like "Sorry baby, I can't take you out!"

Thanks

Re: My ball python has an green tree boa complex

Quote Originally Posted by SDA View Post
    I would not go so far as to call a ball python arboreal or even call them tree dwellers. I think ball pythons will climb on things as they are cruising through the savannah. It is not like they will come across a shrub or tree and think "I need to find another way around or I may fall if I climb up that thing". The fact is they can live long and healthy lives on the ground in tubs and cages. Adding enrichment items like branches and vines and other things to climb just helps to give them options to scoot around but going so far as adding or inferring the word "need" into the equation might be a bit of a stretch. Finding something somewhere does not mean it lives in that location.
    Let's take my rosy boa for example. They are ground and crevice dwelling snakes as shown from years of scientific research and the desert like conditions (chaparral actually) they live in. When I pick mine up, aside from trying to bite me because he is crazy food driven, he climbs. Should I now assume he must be a tree climbing snake? Nope, do I provide him things in his cage to climb and did I observe him climbing to the lip of the top of the cage when I got him? Yes.
    There are more than just trees in these snakes habitats and they will climb over. in, around, and through them. Termite mounds for example are pretty tall and they need often to climb up to find an opening. Let's not call these snakes semi arboreal as they simply are not physically designed for it. They are terrestrial snakes but even terrestrial snake can climb. You want to see an arboreal snake, check out a green tree python, carpet python, or certain rat snakes.
    Let's admit enrichment items are a beneficial bonus but not something that withholding is going to lead to anxiety or depression as seen in other animals like dogs.
    "Definition of semi-arboreal: often inhabiting and frequenting trees but not completely arboreal."
    "Definition of terrestrial: Zoology. living on or in the ground; not aquatic, arboreal, or aerial."
    Defintion of arboreal: "living in or among trees."
    Which best describes an animal that likes to live on the ground, but also likes to be in trees? Hmm. Somehow I don't think "terrestrial" describes it.
    I'm not trying to be rude, and I am well aware that unfortunately I don't have years upon years of experience with reptiles like others do. However, my comment was based off of researching bioactive vivariums, which the majority of breeders wouldn't 't do, because again, most of them have to use rack systems. Most of them can't afford to have spacious vivariums for all their herps. I understand that, but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. Anyway, most bioactive vivariums include small trees. The ball pythons climb these and sit in them, like they might a hide. There's usually cover provided by the leaves, so of course they would love that. Since again, ball pythons don't usually like being out in the open.
    Now, I didn't say ball pythons were "arboreal," or "tree dwellers." I said, "semi-arboreal." Please refer to above defintions.
    I know most Australian species as you mentioned are arboreal, meaning, they mostly inhabit trees. Not saying they won't come down every now and then, but those species are tree dwelling. Branches and such are thus essential in these species' enclosures.
    I didn't say that with ball pythons. I said, "they like to be on ground, but they also love being above-ground." Which is true.
    I know they have numerous other things in their natural environment, and they will explore the majority of them. Both on ground and above-ground.
    No, it doesn't mean they "live" there. Again, refer to above definitions. I'm often found at the library, but that doesn't mean I live there. However, I am book-obsessed. And the majority of those books are found at the library.
    My comment was also based on my own confusion that a lot of ball python owners say that ball pythons do not climb as a rule, with no exceptions. I don't know how many don't believe that, but at least the majority of the ones I came across in my research did. However, ball pythons do climb frequently, and they seem to enjoy being on a branch.
    That still doesn't mean they live in trees, which isn't what I said in the previous comment.
    Adding in miniature trees or branches gives them more cover options, and more things to do beside just moving from their hide, to the water bowl, to another hide, and back again.
    Terrestrial species can climb, of course, but they aren't frequently found in trees. They'll climb a tree if they want or need to, but they don't frequent them, like a ball python might.
    Avian and Exotic Clinic said in a ball python care article, "Ball pythons are semi-arboreal." There was a science paper published saying the same thing.
    Yes, they are physically built for climbing, as long as the branches are sturdy, since they are rather stocky. Their tails are great for hanging on to a branch, and their muscles are strong for the actual climbing part.
    No, they don't "require" enrichment items like branches. They'll survive wihout them. Again, semi-arboreal animals don't necessarily need to climb, but they like to. However, they thrive in a bioactive vivarium. The BioDude says, " Ball pythons in naturalistic cages have been observed to become more active and toned. Picky eaters often become reliable. Raised in varied, enriched environments, snakes become less susceptible to stress, which makes them better captives. BioActive habitats make ball pythons healthy, happy snakes!"
    So no, they're not "arboreal," as in, "they live in trees." But they do love to be in a tree, or on a branch, as pretty much everyone on this thread has said.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

I actually think it's funny when I read people calling them 'pet rocks' as they do nothing ... then they post a photo of the set up which is a small tub , one hide and a bowl of water on a piece of newspaper - "what the hell are they expecting them to do !"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I actually think it's funny when I read people calling them 'pet rocks' as they do nothing ... then they post a photo of the set up which is a small tub , one hide and a bowl of water on a piece of newspaper - "what the hell are they expecting them to do !"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Exactly!!! They have no room to do anything!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JeanTownsend For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (12-28-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,185 Times in 2,610 Posts
    I find it rather sad how some "rack only" or "cage only" sides have to continue to put the other one down.

I have been keeping Ball Pythons for 18 years now, I used to rescue a lot of them, too. Many imports, many were usually kept in sub standard conditions. Sick, infested, starved or just neglected. This is what introduced me to "tubs" because of quarantine and "sick snake" tub enclosures. It was amazing how those snakes would just improve and thrive. Even the ones that were not sick.

Also, I have kept my own personal animals in both cages as well as racks/tubs. Way back in the day, even in glass tanks. I'm a STICKLER for research and observation and taking good care of my animals. I have also kept other species of reptiles and snakes.

I can say without a doubt that in my experience Ball Pythons do far better in correctly set up racks/tubs then in most cages. It is quite offensive to say that people keeping them in racks/tubs simply don't have space for cages, don't have the money for cages or simply don't care. I beg to differ. I only have 6 snakes at this time. Very precious to me, not to mention valuable. One is in a "Display" cage, but I keep him in there mostly for "MY" enjoyment, not because he is "happier" in there.

I absolutely have the space for 5 stack-able nice cages and I have the money for it. I certainly care for my animals. I find they do better in tubs. That doesn't mean that the tubs are to small, or have no hides. That doesn't mean that they never get to come out. I chose to keep them in there for THEIR sake, not mine.

In the wild you will find them mostly in "open" and arid land. Grass lands or sparsely forested woodlands. Fields. Usually hiding in rodent burrows or termite mounds. Anywhere small, dark and hidden. They are mostly terrestrial, but will seek out trees. When found in trees, it is usually in tree hollows. They are looking for hides, even up there. Sometimes there are no termite mounds to be found, nor unoccupied rodent burrows. In the wild, Ball Pythons do not live in thick or lush forests. Young snakes will climb more readily and are also better at it. In captivity they often climb to get closer to a heat source such as the heat lamp. Or they are trying to find a different habitat, trying to "move elsewhere". True, sometimes they just explore. Maybe hunting, looking for a mate, checking out each part of the enclosure.

I used to have thick sturdy branches in my 4 foot cages (as well as hides, cover, correct heat and humidity) As the Ball Pythons got bigger, they used those branches rarely. Sometimes I would hear a loud WHAM in the middle of the night, I would get up and one of the adults had fallen of the branch, still "righting" themselves. Those branches were only about 6 inches off the ground at the highest, and they WERE sturdy, but adult and heavy bodied Ball Python make very poor climbers.

I don't buy into that "enrichment, climbing for fun and exercise" kind of thing. Not with Ball Pythons. Not after observing them for years in different scenarios. If Ball Pythons are out and about its usually for a good reason (not leisure time). Either they are getting ready to seek out food, they seek a cooler or warmer spot, or something bothers them. Sometimes they look for a mate. Something got moved about or they were handled and look for a "safer" spot.

To say a finicky Ball Python turned into a better eater after being moved to a large cage, I do not believe that at all. Its usually quite the contrary. Move them to a smaller and more private space, and you might get a finicky snake to eat. Given that husbandry is correct and there are no underlying issues, of course.

Can cages be made to work for Ball Pythons ? ABSOLUTELY !!! Glass tanks are difficult, but do-able. Actual cages are much better. And its awesome to see them move about in a beautiful setting. However, how often does one see an ADULT Ball Python in a beautiful decorated, lush, big cage ? You would have to have a very big cage to keep it looking like it did when they were small, because they bulldoze everything to the ground once they have size. I have a 3000 gr adult in a display cage. There is "deco". There is a wooden shelf for him to get up on. But its kept simple and sturdy. He spends a lot of time in his hide. To me, that is a good sign and he eats well and seems content. When he "wanders" is when I try to figure out what he "wants" or what is bugging him. To make a nice, naturalistic cage for a BIG Ball Python, with deco, wood, branches and greenery I would need at least a 6 foot cage. Everything would need to be very sturdy. The plants would have to be fake, or they will be destroyed. Even the fake ones need to be fastened and will likely need to be re-arranged quite often. Such a cage would be beautiful, no doubt. But honestly, if I want to go through that trouble I will pick a snake species that is active, and makes frequent use of all the space (not just out of stress). One that ENJOYS all that space, rather then prefers to be snug in a dark, hidden space.

There are SO many "papers" and articles on Ball Pythons. One can choose and pick parts of them, but you should always read the entire thing. To much was written by people that got their information from a myriad of sources, and not all of it right. I read an article that sounded really interesting. Until I got to the part of how Ball Pythons are "easy" to sex by length of spurs and size of head...There is a lot of mis-information out there, a lot of it from people that tend to anthropomorphize all kinds of animals.

To me, proof is in the pudding. If a Ball Python eats well, sheds well, is healthy, beautiful and breeds readily, then you have a content and healthy specimen.

It can be done in cages, it can be done in tubs. To say that Ball Pythons only hide and hang out in tight dark spaces for the majority of their time because they are kept in "prison tubs" is ridiculous. Enrichment is different things for different species. For some it means entertainment and fun. For others it means safety and privacy. Look at it from the species point of view, not from what you feel is right.

I'm still very tempted to add a couple amazing display cages to my house, for my enjoyment and the beauty of it. I will pick a snake species that enjoys such a space. One that likes to move around a lot, doesn't mind to hang out "in the open". I will continue to leave the majority of my beloved Ball Pythons in the rack and tubs.

To the people that prefer to keep them in cages I say, good for you. If it works for you and your snake, why not ? If you provide proper husbandry and your snake thrives, awesome. My male in his big cage is doing well. But until you've tried both methods, and both of them on a few animals and for a few years, don't assume one is superior over the other, or that one may be more neglectful or stressful to the animal then the other. That is simply not the case.
    Last edited by zina10; 12-29-2017 at 01:51 AM.
    Zina

0.1 Super Emperor Pinstripe Ball Python "Sunny"
    0.1 Pastel Orange Dream Desert Ghost Ball Python "Luna"
    0.1 Pastel Desert Ghost Ball Python "Arjanam"
    0.1 Lemonblast Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Aurora"
    0.1 Pastel Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Venus"
    1.0 Pastel Butter Enchi Desert Ghost Ball Python "Sirius"
    1.0 Crested Gecko ( Rhacodactylus ciliatus) "Smeagol"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    - Antoine de Saint-ExupÈry

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zina10 For This Useful Post:

EDR (12-29-2017),greco (12-29-2017)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123