Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,762

1 members and 2,761 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: lighting?

Thanks
    I was wondering what types of lights everyone was using. Right now I am using a incadescent light keeping it on 24/7 with the warm side 85-90 and the cool side around 70-77? So is that too hot, too cold or what? I am very open to suggestions and as amtter of fact they would help me out a lot! Also what is the wattage on the lights, mine is a 60w... Thanks

Thanks
    I hope you didn't mean an ordinary white incandescent that you would use in a lamp to light your home. Keeping white light on 24/7 will stress out the snake. I suggest switching to an infrared if you need to keep the light on all the time. One of my sons keeps a kingsnake in his room with no additional light or heat in the summertime. His room stays pretty warm since we don't have AC. When the weather is cooler, he uses an infrared bulb to keep the tank warm. It's a small tank, so he only needs a 40 watt bulb. Larger enclosures will require higher wattage.

As for the temperatures, kingsnakes are more tolerate of temperature changes and of low temperatures than pythons are, so your temps are probably ok.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    it's 83 degrees in my cali king's tank. and he's zippin' around right now. i'm using only half of a heating pad on the lowest setting.
    -Will

Photo Album: http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules....ndex&cat=10072
    Currently Keeping - 4 ball pythons, a redtail boa, and a cali king. Now look, admit it. You know you want to give me an albino ball python.