Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,382

2 members and 3,380 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Live Planted: Opinions Welcome

So I am going to have to upgrade my enclosure for my ball python soon and am seriously considering live planted. I own and have read 'The Art of Keeping Snakes' so I have the basics I think.

My thought process so far has been this: do a 3x2x2 PVC cage with heat tape covering the majority of the floor space (warm the soil and help evaporate water from the drainage layer into the soil). Also, have a RHP for ambient/hot spot. I don't really want a discussion on whether RHP's work or not as I know this is a hot topic. I know some people can seem to make them work. As well as going with a 2' tall enclosure I will need the extra heating. Then I could use a full spectrum lighting fixture for the plants so they get their requirements. I don't have plans to cover the entire floor with plants, just throw a few in like a bromeliad or two, a fern, a golden pothos near the back for some cover and maybe a sansevieria. Obviously I would need a thermostat with more outputs (I have a Herpstat II) to run both heat sources and the lighting.

I would get the tank set up and give it at least 3 months to get established before introducing my ball python as well as to work out any kinks I may run into.

Thoughts/opinions? I would also look into doing a glass enclosure, but I would probably have to go the route of custom made which just is not in my budget.

Thanks

Live Planted: Opinions Welcome

I think it's an awesome plan! I'd love to do something like this, but I know I'm just too lazy to maintain it lol. I've just made the jump to planted aquariums, so we'll see how that goes. Best of luck! And keep us posted with tons of pics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD