Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,038

0 members and 3,038 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

UTH or Tape for Melamine Plywood?

Hey Guys.

I recently acquired a ball python a week ago and built a 36x24x16 enclosure out of melamine plywood and I am having trouble keeping the humidity using an overhead heat light. I know a UTH or tape is best and so I'm going to switch it.
    BUT, my major concern is fire risk. Anyone have any experience on using a UTH or heat tape on plywood? And if so which is preferable?
    And of course I'm getting a thermostat.

Thanks

Re: UTH or Tape for Melamine Plywood?

Quote Originally Posted by Wearentfree View Post
    Hey Guys.

I recently acquired a ball python a week ago and built a 36x24x16 enclosure out of melamine plywood and I am having trouble keeping the humidity using an overhead heat light. I know a UTH or tape is best and so I'm going to switch it.
    BUT, my major concern is fire risk. Anyone have any experience on using a UTH or heat tape on plywood? And if so which is preferable?
    And of course I'm getting a thermostat.
    Neither a UTH or tape will transmit much heat through plywood or melamine. They work too well as insulators.
    Since you are using a lamp I am assuming you have a screened top. Cover most of that to retain humidity.

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

What we did for our wooden enclosure was cut out a square in the bottom of the enclosure as large as our heat pad. We then drilled a piece of plexiglass against the hole, and attached the heat pad to the glass. That way it only has to heat through the plexiglass instead of the wood.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

Thanks
    I agree with Raven. I have been using heat tape for a while and have never had a problem with it being on wood. I would be care full about setting the heat on wood that has a finish on it. The heat may mess up the finish but it wont get hot enough to start a fire. I can hold my hand on my tape with out a problem. I would use some metal/aluminum tape to secure the heat tape to the bottom. This will give you a little heat barrier.

I also started with a tank and covering the screen around your heat light will help retain heat and humidity jet be careful not to get things to close to the bulb. That could start a fire depending on what you use. I used a ceramic heat element in a metal hood and it worked good for me. I'm using a tub now because my girl out grew the tank.

Wait, is the bottom of the cage plywood? the heat tape probably wont work well threw plywood and you don't want it on the inside where the snake will lay on it directly.

Thanks
    Yes the cage is solid melamine plywood, including the bottom. I don't have access to tools or a seperate enclosure to keep my python in while I did it, so cutting a hole for plexi isn't viable.
    Any ideas? I'm using a small 5.5 dome for the heat light and there's not much room left on the screen of the hole but ill try to cover what I can. I put some moss in there hoping it would hold humidity but it just drys out. I can spray the hell out of the cypress and get the humidity up but it only lasts for a little while and just goes back down to 35%. 😠

Thanks

If you have no access to tools, in a bind you can go to your local hardware store and buy a tube of 100% silicone(with no algicides) and a sheet of thin plexiglass that is larger than the heat tape by about 1"-2".

Then you place your heat tape in the enclosure and secure it with foil tape around the perimeter leaving about 1/2" of the tape sticking over the heat tape. If you are using clips instead of soldered connections(don't know if you bought factory installed or not) you need to make sure you use soldered connections for this method.

After that is taken care of you lay a thick bead of silicone around the heat tape and both over and under the power cord. Once you have a thick bead laid, you place the plexiglass on top of the silicone and heat tape and press evenly around the perimeter. Give it a solid 24 hrs or until no smell persists and you are good to go.

It won't be as pretty as some other methods but it will work.

Also make sure you take the appropriate steps to regulate the heat via a thermostat or at very least a rheostat/dimmer and a watchful eye.

Hope that helps

0.1.0 Normal Ball Python
    0.1.0 Colombian B.C.I. 2013
    1.0.0 EBV Red Group Pastel Hypo Jungle B.C.I. 2013
    1.0.0 Hypo Colombian B.C.I 2011
    0.1.0 Anery Colombian B.C.I 2010
    Ball pythons:
    -0.1 Normal (Lilith)
    -1.0 Dark Normal
    -0.1 Light Normal
    -0.1 Pastel
    -1.0 Lesser

Retics:
    -0.1 Platinum
    -1.1 Fire Tiger Het Albino
    -1.0 Purple Sunfire
    -1.0 Tiger
    -0.1 Lavender Tiger
    -1.0 Motley Het Purple

Boas:
    -0.1 Hypo BCI
    -1.0 Hypo BCI (Hades)
    -1.0 EBV Red Group Hypo Pastel BCI (Ares)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Isis)
    -0.1 Anery BCI (Medusa)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Hera)
    -0.1 Normal BCI (Athena)

Blood Pythons:
    -1.1 VPI Super Stripe Mead Line Borneo Ultra Breit

Epicrates Striatus Striatus
    -1.1 Dominican Red Mountain Boa

Burmese Pythons:
    -1.1 Albino Burmese

Anacondas:
    -0.2 Yellow Anaconda