Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,831

0 members and 2,831 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: How to Setup a Glass Tank (20 long) With Pictures!

Ok from the what i can tell of the picture, it seems that your water bowl is on the opposite side of the heat lamp. You need to move it to the middle and you need a bigger water bowl. Once in the middle, let you humidity settle then adjust the water bowl towards to raise humidity And away from the heat lamp to lower. Also what watt size heat bulb do you have in the heat lamp? You would probably would not want to go any higher that a 50 watt ans really,may need a 25 watt.
    Here is a pic of my old 46 gal bow front aquarium that my pb was in. I work a 48 hour shift and so i had to figure out how to keep the humidity up without having to mist. To do so i got the big corner water bowl and it worked. I did however lose space as the bigger water bowl took up about a 3rd of the tank. I have a hide on the cold side and the hot side.

Also if you have a lowes or home depot near by, they have ir temp guns that you can use to check your temps. Last if you can see it in the pic, i have a acurite thermomter from walmart. It has a probe. Probe goes on hot side and the unit goes on cold side. It will give you the temp on each side and it also does humidity. $12 @ walmart.
    Racer 0.0.1 Normal BP
    Pyro 1.0 Flame Brooks Kingsnake
    Evelyn 0.1 Bredli (Centralian) Carpet Python
    0.1 chocolate Lab Frayja
    1.1 Cats
    0.1 Better Half
    1.2 Kids

Thanks

I have two water bowls, the little rock looking one and a much larger one in the middle. The one in the middle is just a little bit to the left of the lamp. Would getting a red bulb help at all or does that not make a difference.

This is a better picture of what's on the bottom.
    http://thishaileysays.tumblr.com/post/96155843509
    Last edited by Hailey_A; 08-30-2014 at 04:04 AM.

Thanks

I would say get rid of the 2 bowls and get one bigger one. Also a hide for the cold side. As for the bulb, what are you using now? You need a red infrared bulb for the heat lamp. A light bulb on 24 hours will stress your snake. They need a dark period of time. Regular lighting is for us to see them but they can be stressed out with it left on for long periods of time i believe.
    What gallon size is your tank? You probably only need a 25 watt red bulb.
    Oh if you can tell in my pic, i took black construction paper and double sided tape and taped 3 sides on the outside of the tank. This helps the snake feel more secure especially if the tank is in a high traffic area of the house.

Do you have/use a under tank heater (uht)?
    Racer 0.0.1 Normal BP
    0.1 chocolate Lab Frayja
    1.1 Cats
    0.1 Better Half
    1.2 Kids

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firemaniv View Post
    I would say get rid of the 2 bowls and get one bigger one. Also a hide for the cold side. As for the bulb, what are you using now? You need a red infrared bulb for the heat lamp. A light bulb on 24 hours will stress your snake. They need a dark period of time. Regular lighting is for us to see them but they can be stressed out with it left on for long periods of time i believe.
    What gallon size is your tank? You probably only need a 25 watt red bulb.
    Oh if you can tell in my pic, i took black construction paper and double sided tape and taped 3 sides on the outside of the tank. This helps the snake feel more secure especially if the tank is in a high traffic area of the house.

Do you have/use a under tank heater (uht)?
    Hm, ok. And I have a hide on the cool side. The bulb I have now is a 50 watt but it's white. I'll get a red one.
    The construction paper sounds like a good idea.
    And yes, I have an under the tank heater.

Thanks

Let me know on how the red bulb works when you get it.

Do you have any kind of thermostat controlling your uth?
    Racer 0.0.1 Normal BP
    0.1 chocolate Lab Frayja
    1.1 Cats
    0.1 Better Half
    1.2 Kids

Thanks

Will do.

Yeah it's a hydrofoam something thermostat. It's sitting at about 91.

Thanks

Smile

Great info thanks for the price scale especially.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Thanks.

It's not really required for most snakes.

That said I light all of my cages with 18" ZooMed Nature Sun 2.0 full spectrum linear fluorescent bulbs. I decided not to include it in this thread as it is meant to just cover the basics.

I run my lights 12 hours a day during the summer, and as short as 8 hours a day during the winter
    I have the info-red heat lamp and run it 24/7. SHould I be Turing it off for periods of time? Maybe on a timer? Any info would be so appreciated! 1st time owner here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie View Post
    I have the info-red heat lamp and run it 24/7. SHould I be Turing it off for periods of time? Maybe on a timer? Any info would be so appreciated! 1st time owner here
    Depends on how you keep your home heated/cooled. More than likely you will need to keep it on 24/7. The enclosure needs a hot and cold side. Check out the care sheet thread for the temp ranges.
    Racer 0.0.1 Normal BP
    0.1 chocolate Lab Frayja
    1.1 Cats
    0.1 Better Half
    1.2 Kids

Thanks
    First time owner trying to setup tank properly before I pickup my new girl in 2 weeks, I have uth under one side hide over it fairly big size water bowl under light on opposite side getting a thermostat this week to really control temps but so far everything is good except humidity it's fluxuates from 55% at night with just uth going and during day with light on it's dropping to 15% I put foil across 95% of lid and it's helping but still drops to like 25-30% would a red infrared or a ceramic heat emitter be better to heat up water for humidity? Right now it's just a white daylight bulb because that's what pet store said I needed ( before I really started doing my homework) and it's a 10gallon tank as I'm getting a baby just hatched few weeks ago and breeder said that was good size for couple months then I need to go bigger. Am gone for like 10-12 hours a day during week so need humidity to hold steady as I can't mist often etc. any ideas or tips would be appreciated thx everyone

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast