Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,837

1 members and 2,836 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

How to Setup a Glass Tank (20 long) With Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by MixtSpice View Post
    So I got everything and my tank is set up this exact same way, the only problem I seem to be having is the fact that I couldn't get my UTH as flat against the glass as I would've liked. Can I just tape over the whole thing with the aluminum foil tape in hopes that it holds the UTH flat against the glass? or should I just take the tape off and try again?
    Hi

Before we start , I'm presuming that the heat mat is going OUTSIDE the tank / Viv- this info will assist others in helping you .

So ... is the heat mat a standard one or is it one of those self -adhesive ones ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Zincubus; 09-02-2016 at 02:42 AM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: How to Setup a Glass Tank (20 long) With Pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by MixtSpice View Post
    So I got everything and my tank is set up this exact same way, the only problem I seem to be having is the fact that I couldn't get my UTH as flat against the glass as I would've liked. Can I just tape over the whole thing with the aluminum foil tape in hopes that it holds the UTH flat against the glass? or should I just take the tape off and try again?
    I stuck the heat pad flat against the tank bottom, and then taped the probe on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Hi

Before we start , I'm presuming that the heat mat is going OUTSIDE the tank / Viv- this info will assist others in helping you .

So ... is the heat mat a standard one or is it one of those self -adhesive ones ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Yes, it's outside of the tank and a standard heat mat

Thanks
    I just finished setting up my glass tank with partially covered screen top using a 0.5-0.8" layer Eco Earth (coconut fiber) as substrate. Heat is provided via UTH (connected to thermostat) and heat lamp. My temperature gun measures on the hot side 88F for the substrate surface and 93F for the tank bottom surface below substrate. The cold side measures 78F (substrate surface). When I use a temperature gauge to measure the ambient temperature however, I'm getting only 75F on the cold side and 85F on the warm side. When trying to establish the recommended gradient do I go by air temperature as measured by the temperature probe or by surface temperature as measured with my temperature gun?

Thanks
    Quick, yet noob question, does the heat lamp's bulb colour have to be Red?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RavenRace View Post
    Quick, yet noob question, does the heat lamp's bulb colour have to be Red?
    No but you can leave a red lamp on 24/7 without stressing out your snake. Also starting your own thread will probably get you more responses. This thread hadn't been touched in over two months until now. Welcome to the forum though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    One thing I'll add is if you're using your heat lamp for ambient go CHE or red to keep night time temps up.

Thanks
    RavenRace thanks for reviving this thread I am just now reading it. The OP's 3yr old pictorial is awesome and deserves to be brought up again from time to time.

3 quick notes:

1) the shape of the bulb you see in the pictorial runs hotter than normal shaped bulbs of the same wattage
    2) your question re the red colour (are you in UK? you Brits always spell the word "color" wrong LOL): black bulbs and ceramic bulbs can also be used. The black and red colors don't disturb the snakes. A note re the ceramics - they don't put out any light whatsoever and don't burn as hot as equivalent wattage light bulbs of any shape or color.
    3) the pictorial depicts the lamp in the center of the tank, doing so doesn't create a proper cool spot, only 2 spots on either end of the tank wherein both are only slightly cooler vs the hot spot; placing the lamp on 1 side creates more of a gradient

Thanks

How long can you keep a ball python in this setup?

I paged through and didn't see this answered. I know ball pythons like things cozy, so how long do you suppose you can keep a ball happy in this setup?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,948 Posts

Re: How long can you keep a ball python in this setup?

Quote Originally Posted by JonahAndAaron View Post
    I paged through and didn't see this answered. I know ball pythons like things cozy, so how long do you suppose you can keep a ball happy in this setup?

Thanks in advance.
    Keep them happy? They can live their entire lives in a T8 if that's what you're wodering.
    Find me on Facebook: E.B. Ball Pythons and Instagram: @EBBallPythons

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast