Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

0 members and 2,970 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

RHP probe placement

I'm sure this question gets asked A LOT, I promise I tried to find the answer...but ended up with more questions. I've finally got my BP (Sterling, adult male) a T8 from animal plastics. Haven't set it up yet due to work, but will probably do it Sunday. There is a radiant heat panel on one end and I'm not sure where to place the probe for the thermostat.

I'm thinking on the warm end maybe an inch or two up from the substrate and set to...what? 88?...90?

Of course when you try to look up advice you find all sorts of answers and opinions

I'm so super nervous about putting him in a new cage...I know in the long run it will be better, but he's been eating so well and I just know its going to throw him...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: RHP probe placement

Truly it’s whatever works best for you. If possible, I’d suggest trying a few different probe placements for a day or so each and fiddle with the thermostat setting until you find what suits your house + enclosure dynamics best.

In my T8s I have the probe fed through the routered channel for the RHP power cord (I had AP install my panels). I have it hanging about 1/3-1/2 down from the ceiling and set to ~87°. Gives me about 90° on the ground under the panel and 78-82° ambient depending on my room temp. It’s generally pretty steady with the room no lower than 72-73°. If the room goes much lower than 72° the cool side of the enclosure starts to dip below 78°.

Again this is how it works in my room with my conditions. Take a couple days to play around with things and once you find the sweet spot it’s pretty much set it and forget it. Have fun and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-17-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Truly it’s whatever works best for you. If possible, I’d suggest trying a few different probe placements for a day or so each and fiddle with the thermostat setting until you find what suits your house + enclosure dynamics best.

In my T8s I have the probe fed through the routered channel for the RHP power cord (I had AP install my panels). I have it hanging about 1/3-1/2 down from the ceiling and set to ~87°. Gives me about 90° on the ground under the panel and 78-82° ambient depending on my room temp. It’s generally pretty steady with the room no lower than 72-73°. If the room goes much lower than 72° the cool side of the enclosure starts to dip below 78°.

Again this is how it works in my room with my conditions. Take a couple days to play around with things and once you find the sweet spot it’s pretty much set it and forget it. Have fun and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! yeah my plan is to move his current cage to the floor in a corner until I get a feel for the new cage. I'll try this and see how it goes.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    In my T8s I have the probe fed through the routered channel for the RHP power cord (I had AP install my panels). I have it hanging about 1/3-1/2 down from the ceiling and set to ~87°.
    I use a similar method with the t-stat probes for all of my RHP's. By letting it hang between the RHP and the enclosure floor the snake doesn't mess with it, move it, pee or dump water on it, lay on it, etc.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Erikamc (10-18-2020),jmcrook (10-17-2020)