Quote Originally Posted by lurch9 View Post
First time owner trying to setup tank properly before I pickup my new girl in 2 weeks, I have uth under one side hide over it fairly big size water bowl under light on opposite side getting a thermostat this week to really control temps but so far everything is good except humidity it's fluxuates from 55% at night with just uth going and during day with light on it's dropping to 15% I put foil across 95% of lid and it's helping but still drops to like 25-30% would a red infrared or a ceramic heat emitter be better to heat up water for humidity? Right now it's just a white daylight bulb because that's what pet store said I needed ( before I really started doing my homework) and it's a 10gallon tank as I'm getting a baby just hatched few weeks ago and breeder said that was good size for couple months then I need to go bigger. Am gone for like 10-12 hours a day during week so need humidity to hold steady as I can't mist often etc. any ideas or tips would be appreciated thx everyone
Look at my pic on post #61 of this thread. You need a big water bowl. The corner style in the pic holds half a gallon. Volume of water only matters if you are gone for long periods of time. You want a water bowl that makes the water have a large surface area for evaporation. You do need to get the infrared heat bulb. They tend to dry out a glass style enclosure but having the large water bowl off sets that. Also the python does need a day/ night cycle so if you leave a regular light on 24/7, it will stress you snake. Since you have a small tank right now, you may need to have the heat lamp on a lamp stand and not directly on the top becuase unless you can find lowe watt bulbs, the pet store will only likely have 50 watt as the smallest. 50 watts may be too much. That will have to be something you experiment with. So go to lowes as well and get their heat ir temp gun so you can check your temps. Also go to walmart and get the acurite thermometer/hydrometer dor around $12. Put the probe under you substrate over the uth and the unit on the cold side.