Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

1 members and 3,090 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

So I want to buy a camera

Sole purpose of this camera will be pictures of snakes in a lightbox. I honestly have no intention of making this a hobby, I just want close as possible to true color pictures of my animals. Also another thing that would be nice is a camera that charges like a phone. Right now this camera takes 4x AA's and runs out in no time. Wish I could just plug it in and everything would be good. Another thing that annoys me about the one I have now, is the lcd screen color on the camera is different than what shows up on the computer sometimes. So I take a picture, go yup that looks right, then load it up on the computer and it looks off color. I started hooking up the camera to my TV when I shoot, just so I could see the color. but then the camera can't send a hi-res signal, so the picture looks like crap on the tv lol.

So I know absolutely nothing about cameras and photography in general. I think my needs are pretty specific where I hope I don't have to spend a lot, I just want the picture to look like how it does in real life. Any suggestions or any research I should start doing? If there is a point and click that will do the job I'm all for it lol.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just get you a nice point and shoot camera, and you can spend under $200. This will just be a nice camera to have in general, even for when you're outside and you see something nice.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

OhhWatALoser (08-31-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 615 Posts

So I want to buy a camera

what kind of computer/monitor do you have? i've noticed that some of my pictures will look COMPLETELY different on my mac than my older desktop up at work. you sure it's not just your computer monitor that is a little off color?

as far as cameras go, were you wanting a dslr or just a point and shoot? when i first got my canon t3i, i was blown away by how vibrant and clean the colors were (still am, really). and the display of the camera reflects the actual pictures pretty accurately. definitely captures the true colors of my snakes pretty nicely.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheSnakeGeek For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: So I want to buy a camera

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Di...1/N/4288586282
    Everything you could ever need for anywhere between $10 to a couple thousand.
    While a high megapixel count is nice it isn't the be all and end all, a larger sensor improves the image significantly.
    The next big thing is lens quality. Ignore digital zoom and only count optical zoom in your consideration.

My personal preference leans to either a Canon or Nikon 3/4 body either new or re-furbished a spare battery and a nice lens or two that fill your needs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Raven01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Just get you a nice point and shoot camera, and you can spend under $200. This will just be a nice camera to have in general, even for when you're outside and you see something nice.
    Previous point and shoots I have had, had horrible color accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnakeGeek View Post
    what kind of computer/monitor do you have? i've noticed that some of my pictures will look COMPLETELY different on my mac than my older desktop up at work. you sure it's not just your computer monitor that is a little off color?

as far as cameras go, were you wanting a dslr or just a point and shoot? when i first got my canon t3i, i was blown away by how vibrant and clean the colors were (still am, really). and the display of the camera reflects the actual pictures pretty accurately. definitely captures the true colors of my snakes pretty nicely.
    Colors looks pretty much the same on the TV, phone, desktop. So i'm pretty sure it's the camera. I really don't care what kind of camera as long as I can learn to make it do what I want. I want to make photo time quick and hassle free.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven01 View Post
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Di...1/N/4288586282
    Everything you could ever need for anywhere between $10 to a couple thousand.
    While a high megapixel count is nice it isn't the be all and end all, a larger sensor improves the image significantly.
    The next big thing is lens quality. Ignore digital zoom and only count optical zoom in your consideration.

My personal preference leans to either a Canon or Nikon 3/4 body either new or re-furbished a spare battery and a nice lens or two that fill your needs.
    Thanks for the link and the tips. Looks like I'll need to do a little research. I have to imagine this is what it feels like when normal people look at phone and computer specs lol. "wth is half this stuff?"

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

I have a Canon Rebel t3i, and LOVE it. Colors are amazing, it captures my enchi's colors. Which can be hard to get right on camera.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DooLittle For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DooLittle View Post
    I have a Canon Rebel t3i, and LOVE it. Colors are amazing, it captures my enchi's colors. Which can be hard to get right on camera.
    I looked back on some of your post history and no doubt those are some nice pictures. I have a few snakes I can never get right, it is quite frustrating. I really wanted to post side by side comparisons of the pos het hypos I produced, some are quite obviously different in color, be willing to bet I can pick out a few het hypos from the clutch. On my camera tho... look the same lol. Thanks for the recommendation.

So I see many of these cameras come with all sort of different lens options. What do I want to take a picture of something 2 feet away or closer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DooLittle View Post
    I have the same camera and so far just the 3 kit lenses that came in my package, a mid-range wireless flash, filter, reflector stuff like that and I love this camera. It becomes easy to adjust the depth of field once you get the hang of it (blurred background in focus subject) and, the duration of the shot to either freeze a tongue with crystal clarity or to blur it to show motion.

Edit: I did cheat however and have some camera related apps on my phone like the Depth of Field Calculator.
    Last edited by Raven01; 08-31-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OhhWatALoser View Post
    I looked back on some of your post history and no doubt those are some nice pictures. I have a few snakes I can never get right, it is quite frustrating. I really wanted to post side by side comparisons of the pos het hypos I produced, some are quite obviously different in color, be willing to bet I can pick out a few het hypos from the clutch. On my camera tho... look the same lol. Thanks for the recommendation.

So I see many of these cameras come with all sort of different lens options. What do I want to take a picture of something 2 feet away or closer?
    2 feet or closer would be a great candidate for a macro lens. There are also some telephoto zooms that do a double duty with fairly decent results.

As to snakes that look different to you but don`t show the difference in a photo, have you tried using full spectrum lighting? It doesn't need to be anything fancy. Personally I used a 2 tube 4 foot shop florescent light for an aquarium here(only cost about $40) with full daylight spectrum bulbs and the fishes colours just "pop" in a way that is hard to believe. Not entirely positive but, I think that might highlight the differences you are seeing to a degree that the camera can better capture it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Raven01 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well i am here i just want to say you that Photography is the best business to do i am a professional photographer and doing this business from 6 to 7 years actually there are many photographers who are doing this business and making their own ways photography like Wedding Fashion and Portrait etc i am also dealing in this and getting a good profit in this photography business & i highly suggest the Canon Rebel XT it is a pretty old camera and it is perfect for a beginner it is what i use it is simple, durable, and is awesome i am pretty sure it is about $200 or cheaper and i suggest buying a used one i promise you will fall in love with it good luck...
    Last edited by Alexis111; 09-11-2013 at 02:30 AM.