Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,911

1 members and 2,910 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Just wondering what watt light bulb (50,75,100, ect...) to use for a small new BP and california kingsnake? Or does it even matter as long as the temps are right? Also what kind of bulb, black bulb, red bulb, does it need UVB light???

Thanks
    First of all, if you can get your temps right without an overhead light, then you don't need to use one. If you need a boost in your temps even with an undertank heater or human heat pad under your enclosure, the wattage of the bulb would depend on the size of your tank and how much of a boost you need. Basically, it's a matter of trial and error. If you have a big tank and need a big boost in temps, then you'll need a higher wattage. If you have a small tank and need a small temp boost, then use a lower wattage. If it's somewhere in between . . . well you get the idea.

Thanks
    And no, they do not need UV lights. Red bulbs do just fine.

Thanks
    I use a 75 watt which keeps the tank about 3 degrees warmer than the house temperature in the middle of the tank, and about 5 or 6 degrees warmer on the warm side. It works fine unless you live in places that get really cold.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Set your tank up with a UTH, see what the temps are and if you need extra help add a red bulb (also provides great nighttime viewin). I believe your main source of heat should be belly heat and you should only supplement with overhead heat if needed. I have a UTH on the warm side, but my cool side temps get too low so I have a red bulb on the cool side. And be sure to set the UTH on a thermostat .

Ball Python, Bredl's Carpet Python, Kenyan Sand Boa, Saharan Sand Boa
    Mexican Black King, California King, Snow Corn, Okeetee Corn, Everglades Ratsnake
    Blue Tongued Skinks: Irian Jaya (2), Indonesian, Northern, Tanimbar, Eastern, Kei, Merauke
    Crested Gecko