Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,832

0 members and 2,832 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Raising a kid with snakes.

I am pregnant and my best friend has told me that I am "reckless and irresponsible" for raising a baby while owning ball pythons.
    Do you run into this problem often and how do you handle it?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Raising a kid with snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkore1015 View Post
    I am pregnant and my best friend has told me that I am "reckless and irresponsible" for raising a baby while owning ball pythons.
    Do you run into this problem often and how do you handle it?
    I'm sure people have run into this, and if I recall correctly somebody recently had something similar to this.

Honestly what I would do if it were my best friend I would try to educate them and talk some sense into them. If this failed then I'd simply do sign language(if you know what I mean) and tell them to get some common sense.

It's just people are scared of what they're unsure of, or what they don't know. Then to top it off the media doesn't help with this situation.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

JMinILM (08-30-2013),Melody (08-30-2013),Mephibosheth1 (08-30-2013)

Thanks
    We get these comments a lot. I enjoy making them feel silly by telling them what their prey size ACTUALLY is. Then I usually get the retort: well, I saw a video of a snake eating a whole wildebeest.
    Or something like that. To which I respond, was it a ball python? They never know. Never.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kameo37 View Post
    We get these comments a lot. I enjoy making them feel silly by telling them what their prey size ACTUALLY is. Then I usually get the retort: well, I saw a video of a snake eating a whole wildebeest.
    Or something like that. To which I respond, was it a ball python? They never know. Never.
    Not to be rude or anything but that's how things get spread and puts more people off. While people can be ignorant and biased, it's because rumors like this get spread then taught to their kids and so on. It's a repeating cycle. Yes make them feel silly by all means, but the wildebeast thing shouldn't be said. They already have tons of fake pictures of gigantic snakes and snakes eating humans, don't contribute to the cause anymore than the media does.
    Last edited by Neal; 08-30-2013 at 05:18 AM.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

OP I have the saaamee convo with my gf quite often, especially when I tell her how old BPs can live. When my gf and I discuss the future she tells me "no snakes when we have kids" and cites the recent incident in Canada as a basis for her concern. I've finally informed her well enough to understand that under no circumstance would the snake be near the infant(s) for the snake's safety, and go on to explain how unrealistic it is for a snake that feeds on rodents to want anything to do with a human baby who prob weighs more than it.

Quote Originally Posted by kameo37 View Post
    Neal I see what your saying but I don't think that was what the intention of this post was... I think by addressing the issue in this way the idea is to make the person feel silly for being so misinformed to begin with I'm sure that's what the "was it a BP" question is all about
    Last edited by galequin; 08-30-2013 at 05:31 AM.
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Shih Tzu
    0.2 Russian Blue

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by galequin View Post
    OP I have the saaamee convo with my gf quite often, especially when I tell her how old BPs can live. When my gf and I discuss the future she tells me "no snakes when we have kids" and cites the recent incident in Canada as a basis for her concern. I've finally informed her well enough to understand that under no circumstance would the snake be near the infant(s) for the snake's safety, and go on to explain how unrealistic it is for a snake that feeds on rodents to want anything to do with a human baby who prob weighs more than it.

Neal I see what your saying but I don't think that was what the intention of this post was... I think by addressing the issue in this way the idea is to make the person feel silly for being so misinformed to begin with I'm sure that's what the "was it a BP" question is all about
    Yes, you know that, I know that and the other person knows that. The fact is the person you're telling that to doesn't know that and what if it isn't realized as a joke. Why even play around and joke like that? Some things you honestly don't joke about, i.e. you don't walk in a bank and joke around that you have a gun.

I just don't want to see another rumor started and spread. One awesome point is that because of one person came up with the idea that had pitbulls had locking jaws, it spread like wildfire. Now go ask random people about pitbulls jaws and they will tell you that they lock them. This is actually incorrect. The truth is that pitbull has one of the most powerful bites. That's the reason people think they "lock" their jaw.
    -Venomous-

Thanks
    No property is dangerous if kept safely and with proper protocols.

When we decide to have a kid, you can guarantee that my Retic cage will get a more extensive security revamp as soon as the Retic gets over 5ft.

Even all my BPs have locks on their tubs.

You can try to bring reason to your best friend but know that bringing reason to the unreasonable is, unreasonable. You can point out the statistics that have been outlined on this forum many a time.

Here is a link to show how rediculous it is to be paranoid about your snakes. http://usherp.org/tag/reptile-deaths/

Deaths:
    Motor vehicle incidents 1 in 98

Captive reptile incident (all kinds, including salmonella) 1 in 4,040,294
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OctagonGecko729 For This Useful Post:

Mephibosheth1 (08-30-2013),pkore1015 (08-30-2013)

Thanks
    Neal, I think you misunderstood. I was saying that the OTHER person brings up the snake eating a wildebeest. I'm definitely not spreading that misinformation around. I ask them if they think a ball python was the one eating a wildebeest to prove a point. It obviously wasn't. Therefore, my family is safe because the crazy video that person saw on you tube has nothing to do with the snakes I'm keeping in my home.
    Even if it did, it's much more about responsible keepers, than anything. Which we also discuss.

The making them feel silly part is all in my head. I just *hope* they feel silly about saying stuff like that after we chat about it. There's no joking or sarcasm actually going on.

Believe me, I had never even heard of that kind of stuff until 2 different people brought it up while I'm showing them my super sweet bp. I would never perpetuate any negative stereotypes about reptiles! I certainly would never joke about it with people who, so clearly, didn't know any better.

Sorry if my original response came across that way...I did write it during my insomnia at 4 am.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kameo37 For This Useful Post:

JMinILM (08-30-2013),Mephibosheth1 (08-30-2013)

Thanks

Whenever someone tries to tell me about "that person they heard about one time who was killed by a captive snake" I ask them about the other news headline that wasn't printed. It said, "THE OTHER 99.99999999% OF SNAKE OWNERS SURVIVED THE NIGHT," but you didn't hear about them did you? You only know what you're told. Go and learn something for yourself.

BTW: I love the link about all the more deadly stuff than snakes. If I could I would keep laminated copies of that in my pockets to hand out daily to the ignorant masses.
    TheSnakeGuy

- Python Regius -
    1.0 Spider Mojave - "Tweak"
    0.1 Mystic Pastel - "Oracle"

Wish List . . . .someday
    Lavender Albino Pied(Dreamsicle) Ball Python
    2. Albino Burmese Python
    3. Mystic Potion Ball Python(Breeders)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

If anything the biggest threat to your baby would be from diseases carried on the feeders or in the snake's feces, not from the snakes themselves. As long as you clean up and use hand sanitizer after feeding or cleaning tanks, it's not an issue.

As for the friend, I would simply let her know politely that we'll have to agree to disagree and if she can't... there's the door.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast