Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,822

4 members and 3,818 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Ball Python eye problem?

A few weeks ago I rescued a ball python from a family who weren't treating her properly, she's probably around 10 years old and when I checked her over I noticed that in her left eye she had a discolored patch. Since then it has formed into what looks like a little cyst right in the middle of her eye (I've attempted to attach pictures but this is my first post so have no idea if it worked). I don't know if it happened because of a shedding problem, or cataracts, or something else? I'm only 16 and have only bred corn snakes so I'm pretty inexperienced but couldn't leave her in the state she was being kept and I hate to think she's in any pain from this! any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
    I doubt she feels any pain from it but it could be an irritant. Has she shed with you yet?

Thanks

Re: Ball Python eye problem?

Doesn't look like a cyst, I'm pretty sure a cyst has to form on skin tissue. Looks like a stuck cap from shed, soak her in a warm tub. After soaking in the tub for 10 minutes or so take her out and take a warm wet towel and hold it against her eye to try and loosen it up.

If you do this it should come right off if it doesn't for some reason proceed doing this for the next cpl days and it will. Eventually it will be lose enough that it will fall off or you can slide it off when pressing it with the towel.
    Last edited by Diamond Serpents; 08-30-2013 at 02:20 AM.
    -Brian-

Thanks

Ball Python eye problem?

My big girl has this also. I think she is permanently blind in both eyes though :/ not sure if its stuck shed, she has shed twice for me and her eyes never change.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmm... It could be from lots of built up stuck sheds. Typically it's nothing to be concerned about, just make sure it doesn't get swollen or anything. If their eye is damaged badly enough it will never go away.