Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,057

2 members and 3,055 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unexpexted

Thanks

Unexpexted

My fiance had 2 Ball Pythons that he has been raising for 11 years, one male and one female. The male since the day he found him tossed out in a dumpster he didn't think was going to live but he did, now after 11 years he started to have bad sheds and regurgitated his meals both times, finally his skin split. The tank always had fresh water was at the right temp and clean (thank to me) but he still got sicker and sicker until about 2 weeks ago when the skin split happened my fiance ran into the bedroom and rushed him to the bath we changed the tank again and removed the female. But he sadly didn't make it through the night. We looked it up and it appeared that we had done everything right. We don't know what happened someone told us it was worms that killed him another person said that it might have been something different. I cried my eyes out because he was always such a loving snake, unlike his mate who was always nasty towards us. My fiance cried and again after we cleaned the tank and changed the water and redid it all, she is now hiding in one of the hide aways and she bit my fiance really good. We are at such a loss on what happened... Kha has been missed daily and the tank just looks so empty without him.

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts
    Welcome to the site. I'm sorry it's on such bad terms though.

Keep a very close eye on your other BP, hopefully she didn't get what he had. This is one of the reasons why it isn't recommended to house 2 BP in the same cage.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 08-25-2013 at 03:22 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for your loss.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks
    It sounds like he was in a loving home and had a better life than a lot of reptiles. I'm sorry for your loss

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks
    I'm sorry for your loss, I hope your other snake is alright....
    this sounds goofy, but, if your two snakes were togther and they bonded, dont be shocked if your girl stops eating... it's just mourning, like a human would..... people dont think snakes (or reptiles) can form bonds with people or other reptiles, even other animals.... but they can, and do... I'm probably just preaching to the choir here, but, thought i'd throw in my 2 cents.
    I hope your girl is healthy, but keep a real close eye on her for any strange behavior.
    ~,*-_` HOLLY `_-*,~

0 Leucistic Texas Ratsnake (Zeejay/ZJ)
    0.1 Triple hybird [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine snakes] (Butter)
    1.0 Albino Bubblegum Ratsnake (Peaches)
    0.1 Quintuple hybrid [Texas Rat, Western Gopher, Louisiana Pine, Bubblegum Rat, Everglades Rat snakes](Peanut)
    0.1 Normal Ball Python (Monty)
    0.0.1 HUGE adult normal Ball Python (McMangles)
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python (Benny)
    1.0 Tokay Gecko (Musachi)
    1.0 Knight/ Giant Cuban Anole (Buggy)
    0.0.1 Indonesian Garter Snake (Pascal)
    0.0.2 Golden Geckos (un-named)
    4.2 Turtles (
    Willie,Crash, Sparky, Rio, Chuckie, Tickle)

1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Mopar)
    1.0 Triple hybrid (Bread)
    Rest in Peace little buddies

6. The Following User Says Thank You to valhalha30 For This Useful Post:

alykoz (08-25-2013)

Thanks

Re: Unexpexted

Quote Originally Posted by valhalha30 View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss, I hope your other snake is alright....
    this sounds goofy, but, if your two snakes were togther and they bonded, dont be shocked if your girl stops eating... it's just mourning, like a human would..... people dont think snakes (or reptiles) can form bonds with people or other reptiles, even other animals.... but they can, and do... I'm probably just preaching to the choir here, but, thought i'd throw in my 2 cents.
    I hope your girl is healthy, but keep a real close eye on her for any strange behavior.
    She has been acting weird, she bit my fiance and was attacking the tank anytime someone would walk by. A lot of people are saying that snakes don't form bonds but from what I can tell seeing as they have been together since day 1... Set and Kah were both from horrible backgrounds. He was tossed out because the person who had him didn't think he was going to live and my fiance proved them wrong. And her, well he found her in the hands of some crack heads who had her in a fish bowl and were trying to burn her, he nursed her back to health and those two have been together since she has acted so strange since the tank was changed around and we removed him. Its sad to see and she has started to come around, looks like she is about to shed though. She was out last night drinking water and then went right on back to her hide.

Thanks
    Just keep an eye on your female for any signs of the parasite/illness taking her too... As far as the two of them bonding, well, snakes normally haven't been shown to do that, but there are exceptions to every rule. In fact, now that she's not housed with the male, you may see her begin to calm down; she may have been acting territorially while he was still around because there was another creature already in her space.

My condolences on your male.
    1.1 Ball Pythons
    a) Calliope 0.1, Banana Ball, 2018/19 season, 600g
    b) Geralt 1.0 Chocolate Sable Mojave pos. Trick ball, May 27th 2020

3.2 Cats (Fury, Leviathan, Walter, Chell, Amelie); 2.0 Dogs (Bjorn, Anubis); 2.1 Ferrets (Bran, Tormund, Arya); 0.1 Beardie (Nefertiti); 0.1 Slider Turtle (Species uncertain) (Papaya); 2.0 Hermit Crabs (Tamatoa, Sushi); 0.1 Conure (Mauii); Two Axolotyls (Quetzl and Unnamed); Two Tree Frogs (Pluto and Colossus); One Anole (Zeus); One Crestie (Noferatu); 3.0 Guinea Pigs (Paco, Poncho and Piccolo); 0.1 Pink Toe T (Azula)

Fish:
    1.1 Oscar Cichlids (Rocky 1.0, hx2020, Red Fire, and Bubble 0.1, hx2019, Tiger), 1.1 Convict Cichlids (Hurley and Sloane), 0.1 Strawberry Peacock Cichlid (Comet), Two Plecos, Rubby the Rubbernose Pleco and Trinidad the common Pleco, 2.0 Upside Down Catfish (Poseidon, Neptune), One Red Parrot Cichlid (Firefly), 1.0 Betta Fish (Jenkins),
    2.2 Cherry Barbs ("The Worst"), 1.0 Electric Blue Acara (Goldeneye)

Thanks

Re: Unexpexted

Quote Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
    Just keep an eye on your female for any signs of the parasite/illness taking her too... As far as the two of them bonding, well, snakes normally haven't been shown to do that, but there are exceptions to every rule. In fact, now that she's not housed with the male, you may see her begin to calm down; she may have been acting territorially while he was still around because there was another creature already in her space.

My condolences on your male.
    Set won't even go onto the side of the tank where Kah was at last. She went over to get water and then went back into hiding. She hasn't calmed she has actually gotten a lot worse with her temper. My fiance doesn't know what to do with her. She seems worse without Kah... They have been together since they were little I mean they were/are 11 years old. I don't want to put Kah's hide away into the tank because 1 she is too big for it and 2, it just seems wrong to use hid hide away with her... I might get my fiance to go out and bury it where he buried Kah. I still can't talk about this without crying... Kah was so mellow...

Thanks

Unexpexted

time for another friend
    no but hopefully she calms down for you soon and you can form a better bond with her.
    Last edited by alykoz; 08-25-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast