Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,945

4 members and 2,941 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Eye caps still a problem

I posted a while ago about "Spike" not eating for months, but soon after that post he was back to eating like a champ. However, I'm still dealing with his eye caps not shedding. I saw one solution suggested gently rubbing mineral oil on his eyes, waiting, then gently rolling the sticky side of a piece of tape along the eyes to pull the caps off. I tried that twice, but it did not work. I've also soaked him in a warm bath, but that didn't help either as his eyes continue to look wrinkly after each shed. It doesn't seem to bother him as he continues to be an unusually well behaved snake (you can handle him any time you want, even when he's in the middle of eating - and no, I don't usually do that but I had to one time and he didn't mind at all).

Any other solutions, or time to call a vet? And if so, can anyone recommend a good herp vet in the Dayton, Ohio area?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

Re: Eye caps still a problem

Leave them alone until the next shed. Boost up your humidity then and they will come off when he sheds again.

Don't mess with them. You can accidentally pull off the live membrane cap and cause permanent eye damage, which is highly painful (equivalent of pulling off your eyelids). And *never* ever use tape on or near a snake.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 08-24-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Thanks

Re: Eye caps still a problem

I would agree with that. The last thing you want to do is forcefully remove them. I don't use baby oil. I use all natural vegetable oil. It's natural, safe, and extremely moisturizing. I soak a Qtip and gently and generously coat the eye. It usually works pretty quickly. Also works well for the tip of the tail and any other rogue skin.