Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,597

0 members and 2,597 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Have any of you built your own lids for aquariums? I have been having trouble with my corn snake (Houdini) escaping. This is the third time he has gotten out (still searching for him).
    If you have, would you mind posting a pic?
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    LOL a little bit ironic
    houdini escaping lol
    what type screen are you using. Is it the metal mesh one?, if it is i can't see him getting out of that. unless its too small for the tank.
    if you are using the metal wire screen that could be a problem. I use that screen for my ball, becuase he is far to big to get out between the wire, but i can see a corn geting out, seeing its such a small snake, do you have a pic?

Thanks
    Hehe, we even named him before his first escape. Shouldnt have picked such a preemptive name huh?

It is the fine screen mesh, but it doesnt fit all that well. He squeezes out where the screen meets the tank, im sure.
    I either need to find a better fitting lid or make one. Sorry dont have any pics.
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    yeah, thats whats happening for sure. I have a 33 gal tank with top messurments of 36X12 ( not 100% sure on that ) any way, i first bought a 36x12 metal mesh screen. and it fit like a glove, the smallest snake in the world wouldnt escape through it. But then when my ball got a bit bigger i noticed him trying to pop throguh the top putting holes in the mesh lol so i boguht a metal wire one. And that would keep him in, but would easily let any smaller snake out. I would suggest bringing the smaller screen to the pet store and see if they will replace it for a larger one (*TIP* get the measurments of the top of your tank) thats what they did for me, but i had to pay the difference of like 5$. But if that doesnt work try taping the edges with black eletrical tape. But as far as making a plexy glass top, i cnat help ya

Hope that Helps

CHONG

Thanks
    One of the women on here have made their own tops for their tanks. I can't remember who it is right now (sorry). What are you using to secure the screen top right now?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    if he keeps getting out, id recommend using black eletrical tape to go over the edges, this whill ensure he stays put until you figure out what you are gonna do

Thanks
    The top clips on in four places at the moment. I have set a couple of books on it for the time being.
    1.0 Green tree python

Thanks
    Wow, you really do have an escape artist on your hands! We've kept BP's in tanks with screen tops secured with clips and have not had an escapee yet. I have two five pound weights on the screen top on the tank I keep my male water python in just because he's so slender he'd slither right out of a space no BP could get through.

Thanks
    hey I didnt know you had a tegu (looking at your sig). That is too cool! Do you have any pictures of him?
    One of these days when I have more space and experience with the lizard folk, I would love to get a black and white tegu.
    1.0 Green tree python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    books?, if its what I think it is, books wouldnt do too much to stop him. if hes getting out at the edges where the screen is too small, books wont keep him in lol, he will still be able to get out somewhere. If the screen is to small for the tank theres bound to be at least one place. Books might not do the job, but again im going by what i THINK it looks like. So its up to you, if I was in your situation id go find a bigger screen and tape all around the edges until then, he wont be getting out with that. Just a little saftey percaution. You dont wanna wake up and him be missing on ya. where he is a small snake you would have a job finding him.

lol also i lovvvvve the name, fits him to the T

CHONG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast