Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,015

1 members and 3,014 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: My feathered babies!

Quote Originally Posted by Wapadi View Post
    I love parrots!! We use to handle a lot of rescued birds. SO much work but sooo worth it. But we lost our umbrella cockatoo, Stormy after 15yrs and kinda lost our passion for them. We loved him sooo much.
    Oops. I missed this.

Im so sorry you lost Stormy

I know about the rescues, all of my guys are rescues/rehomes. It takes a lot more work but its so worth it.
    Brandy

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Amazons are neat. Lol, all those big birds are a commitment and a half! Birds are so needy.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks
    Needy is an understatement, LOL

They're 2 year olds trapped in a feathered body, LOL who are spoiled rotten and have meltdowns when they don't get their own way.

I used to spend a lot of money on my kids toys and get mad when they broke them. I spend even more money on bird toys and I get mad when they DONT destroy them,
    Brandy

Thanks
    Just a few funny stories about a few of them.

Cosmo my Amazon is SO smart. She knows bedtime is at 8, well a friend and I were going shopping and I was leaving at 7 and she went to the absolute highest part of her play area which is touching the ceiling so I couldn't reach her. I grabbed a kitchen chair and tried and tried to get her to step up and she would literally grab my finger with her beak and push it away. This went on for several minutes and finally I said screw it, and she could stay up until I got home (hubby and my boys were home but they cant handle her). So anyways Dakin my oldest son told me when I left the house Cosmo burst out laughing and she laughed for like 2 mins straight....what a brat haha.

They get sprouted toast every morning with a bit of coconut or palm oil and some hemp or chia seeds (plus their veggies) anyways one piece of toast is divded up for all 4 birds and then the crust usually gets thrown in the dogs dish. One morning I missed the dogs bowl and the piece of toast landed on the floor. Cosmo kept staring at it until finally she came down, walked across the floor, she picked up the toast, put it in the dogs dish then walked over to me and said "up up up" LOL

Nyka, when upset will throw her whole bowl of food at me. This usually happens when she figures I should be punished for having a little bit of a life (they had to stay in their cages one day when we spent the day on the river, LOL).

I have to stay on schedule or its guaranteed that I will get bit and bit HARD by Elliot if I mess with his routine, haha.

Life with birds is awesome. Elliot in the morning will also yell "HELP" when he wants out of his cage haha.

Never a dull moment that's for sure.
    Last edited by Momto3boys; 08-28-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Brandy

Thanks
    Beautiful birds...how is your Senegals temperment? My dad has one and it is the meanest bird I have ever met, he bites anything and everything except for my dad. He has been like that since he was a baby...
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

My feathered babies!

Senegals and most of the birds from the Poicephalus family bond strongly to one person and one person only.
    Tiko is very bonded with my boyfriend and thinks I'm evil...
    My other 3 birds are bonded with me, I can do anything with them and Craig any handle them at all (with the exception on Nyka).
    Cosmo will actually attack me if Craig gets to close when she's with me, she sees him a a threat so she attacks me to warn me of danger basically.
    Some people say socialize socialize socialize. That's great when they're babies but honestly once hormones kick in, they will choose their person and that is that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Brandy

Thanks
    Thanked 7,357 Times in 4,745 Posts

Our conure chose my husband, much to his displeasure...lol. He always says "I didn't even want the bird..." She will bite the crap out of my daughter and I.
    If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies.

Thanks

My feathered babies!

Yup, alot of times birds will chose the wrong person, lol
    Sorry for all the changed words, my phone is lovely haha.
    Thankfully Craig (boyfriend) wanted the Senegal, he's too small for me, I love the bigger birds. Don't get me wrong I love all birds but for me personally, the Macs and the Amazons have my heart.
    I take care of Tiko. I feed, water, clean and shower him but when it comes to affection he only has eyes for Craig.
    Birds have been known to switch their favourite person after many years though so there's always a chance even my guys will turn on my someday and choose someone else in my family.

All of my birds are older, Cosmo (amazon) for instance has been bonded to 2 men in her previous homes and now she HATES men. She clucks and regurges for me every chance she gets. Some people believe after a bird bonds strongly with males/females and the human breaks that bond then they stop trusting that sex all together.
    They're so smart and so emotional. My Mac is so intune to my feelings it's incredible. He was also bonded to a male in his previous home. I've taken some pretty nasty bites from him when he first came here. Owning birds is an emotional roller coaster that's for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Brandy

Thanks
    I would love to get a Macaw, but I know right now I don't have the time to dedicate to a bird so until things in life calm down a few years down the road I will be putting this one off.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    Ya my kids are all older now so its not too bad....

My boyfriend gets a little jealous sometime though and says I spend more time with them then I do him and they eat better then we do. Sometimes Im so tired after cooking for them all day that I make him cook our supper, bahaha.

And Elliot chewed the wall all behind his cage and hes remodeled the wood frame to our living room window, Nyka has chewed my window box in the kitchen so I took them done, Cosmo has chewed the wood wall behind her play gym. OOOPS haha.

He draws the line with showering with them though. He was in the shower one day and I grabbed Tiko (Senegal) and opened the shower curtain and said "here, your bird wants to shower with you" and set him on his shower perch. Craig didn't find it very amusing

I shower with them all the time. We sing songs and dance, its great fun.

I am known as the crazy bird lady around here. As a matter of fact I have a sign in my kitchen that says "They call me crazy bird lady like it's a bad thing" LOL

And now.....I cant stop drooling over ball pythons. Oh boy.
    Brandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12