Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,278

1 members and 1,277 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    I can honestly understand killing a snake that poses a danger to yourself, and the people around you. I don't understand having the stomach to tape the aftermath. It bothers me to feed my snakes live prey, it still breaks my heart after 4 years of keeping BP's. I couldn't imagine enjoying seeing an animal suffer.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

alykoz (08-21-2013)

Thanks
    I get why he killed it. What ticks me off is that he didn't destroy the brain and that he got amusement and laughter from it's writhing body.
    Alluring Constrictors

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marrissa For This Useful Post:

alykoz (08-21-2013)

Thanks
    Okay, I apoligize if my hysterical southern bell had no charm. She faints at the slightest worry.
    But really i am sorry.

If he cleaned his yard up nice no snake would live there.
    Prevenative maintainence.

yes, mosquitos do kill people....actually way more people than any reptile because they kill over 1 million a year.
    And the flies....they are flies.

Spanking? Not really, ever raise your hand quickly to do something with zero situational intent and see your child flinch?
    Do as i say or i will physically hurt you?
    Just because grandpappy used a stick and you (and me :-/) turned out fine doesnt make it a useful tool for success.
    I used to always spank but after awhile it really has no effect.
    Time, situation and place anymore for me.

No, not all life is sacred but i try, Combat MOS changed my view on the whole life thing.
    I think everything deserves a chance since living day to day you either get eaten or some banana head tries to squish, run over, torch, shoot, blow up or cut you in half.

I forget that living in NY, i can get services if i was to need them.

Sorry if my words had any weight on those who may not be fortunate to have specialized animal removal and if you truley felt i was trying to hurt feelings.
    just a way to make a point and it was a bad choice and i own to it....now lets hug

calling animal control for squirrel is silly.

Oh and i do have endangered guys in the area who also happen to be venomous.

How many people are on car forums, cat forums, bacon forums, 42" plasma tv forum and any object that i own forums?
    Snake people

Balls
    1.0 Bumblebee Het Ghost
    1.0 Power ball
    0.1 Fire Ghost
    0.1 Butter Pin
    Milks
    1.0 Eastern milk snake
    0.1 Extreme Hypo Honduran
    Hognose
    0.1 Western hognose Albino
    Leopard Gecko
    1.0 Sunglow

Beware his song about big butts. He beats you up while he ppppllllaaaaysss iiiit-- Eyugh!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Oni For This Useful Post:

alykoz (08-21-2013)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm quite against wildlife pursecution, and watching an animal suffer or be killed is never pleasurable for me. That said, I'm not against hunting or killing humanely. In my book, pursecution should only be necessary should the animal have already injured or killed a human, be a herbivorous game animal, or be one largely invasive. (e.g. European sparrow and wild hogs)
    Animals, more often than not, are not as threatening as people make them to be. (Even the dogs that kill ~15 people a year) Once you've spotted a venomous snake, and you aren't playing jackass with it, you're relatively safe. The people who get bitten are the ones who either step on them unknowingly or they're the ones who decide they need to kill or tamper with them. However, as with any snake (as we would know) doing something to irritate it would lead up to a bite.
    So when you spot a venomous snake, alert those around you, and either leave it alone, or, if it is in a location that could lead to conflict, such as an urban setting, call a wildlife remover or animal control and have them relocate it.
    Killing an animal because you think it's dangerous isn't right, nor is killing it out of hatred and possibly using the above appropriate situations as excuses. (e.g. people killed Burmese pythons because they're snakes; not because they're invasive. People typically don't give a dam about invasive animals, or else boars and dogs would be gone a long time ago.) The last thing we need is for snakes, or any other inherently "dangerous" animal, to go down the same road Tasmanian devils did.
    Final points: Wildlife should be observed, hunted responsibly, occasionally collected, and ultimately respected, but not abused or murdered for no good reason. Whatever you do with an animal, or even a person, be respectful in your decisions, in your word, and in your action. Help make this planet a less crappy place.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet Herp; 08-17-2013 at 06:40 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

alykoz (08-21-2013),eatgoodfood (08-21-2013),Mr Oni (08-17-2013)

Thanks

Reptile Abuse Video on Huffpost

I can't believe I got a stupid warning over a stupid false comment, that I even said sorry for. Thanks guys..... Maybe earmuffs next time?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 920 Posts
    Calm down, it's a warning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kodieh For This Useful Post:

Mike41793 (08-17-2013)

Thanks
    Combat arms MOS and seeing the enemy in death also changed my view on life, Mr. Oni. I kill numerous flies on a regular basis thanks to my chickens. I have a trap outside that gets over 500 every couple of weeks during the summer. They spread disease and killing them truly is protecting my family (not to mention how darn annoying they are). Do I smack mosquitos? Yup. Do I kill ticks that I find on myself? You betcha! Even if I'm still outside I will kill them so that there is one less possible lyme disease carrier out there. I definitely do not value all life, not even all human life after what I've seen what other human beings are capable of. I actually made someone incredibly upset with me when I compared the value of some humans' lives to that of an endangered species of trout...

Back to the topic at hand - I can accept that most people fully believe that the only good snake is a dead snake, but I also believe that if we start educating at a young age that we can change that mentality. General lack of education on the topic is evidenced by the fact that not one person in the comments stated that a snake was venomous but instead referred to poisonous and non-poisonous snakes. What bothers me about the video isn't that he killed the snake, it is that he felt the need to. That aside, his reaction bothered me. This is only due to the fact that I like snakes. There are likely many people that would be abhorred by the feelings, or lack thereof, that I have felt while standing over dead human beings. It is what it is, but again, we can change peoples' minds about what is actually dangerous with a little bit of education.

Do you truly want to alienate this community? Continue to make threats of violence because people don't see things through your eyes. All that you will do is to reinforce their already strong convictions about snakes and people who keep them as pets. Here's an example - cats are a horribly invasive species but there are certain people that get retarded about cats. I've seen advocates of trapping and HUMANELY euthanizing feral cats have their lives threatened by cat people. Does this help their case? Not a chance and for me it only fuels my anti-cat sentiment. I DO NOT have a problem with pet cats that are properly housed INDOORS at all times and pose no danger to local ecosystems but I am completely for the humane killing of "outdoor" cats and feral cats. Some people will argue that they have to let their cat out for one reason or another. TOO BAD! Many people here have had "problem snakes" but we still work with them and keep them responsibly! Way off topic again but there it is, my $0.02.
    Last edited by gsarchie; 08-20-2013 at 11:56 PM.
    Bruce
    Top Shelf Herps
    1.0 Pastel (Gypsos)
    1.0 VPI Axanthic Pinstripe (B-Dub)
    1.0 Sable het Hypo (Flat Top)
    1.0 Lesser Platinum (Sean2)
    1.1 Lemonback (Einstein.Elsa)
    0.1 Pied (unnamed)
    0.1 Pinstripe het Hypo (Chopper)
    0.1 het VPI Axanthic (Vanilla)
    0.1 Spider 50% het VPI Axanthic (Serine)
    0.1 Hypo (Bella)
    0.1 het Hypo (Hooker)
    0.1 Cinnamon (Nutmeg)
    0.1 Normal (Jane)

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gsarchie For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (08-21-2013),BrandiR (08-21-2013),eatgoodfood (08-21-2013),Mr Oni (08-21-2013)

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Summed all up by 3 things

1) live and let live when it comes to wild animals
    2) if you must interfere, do it humanely and for your safety/security
    3) don't laugh at animal suffering
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mephibosheth1 For This Useful Post:

alykoz (08-21-2013)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Reptile Abuse Video on Huffpost

Quote Originally Posted by pythonminion View Post
    In my book, pursecution should only be necessary should the animal have already injured or killed a human, be a herbivorous game animal, or be one largely invasive. (e.g. European sparrow and wild hogs)
    After about a week, I realized I forgot to put parasites and vermin on this list. Animals that are parasitic to, or cause disease in human society (or the body) are to be executed as well, as that can be described as causing harm to man. That includes animals such as rats, mosqitoes, and tapeworms among others.
    Just add that to my previous message.

Thanks

Re: Reptile Abuse Video on Huffpost

Quote Originally Posted by decensored View Post
    I can honestly understand killing a snake that poses a danger to yourself, and the people around you. I don't understand having the stomach to tape the aftermath. It bothers me to feed my snakes live prey, it still breaks my heart after 4 years of keeping BP's. I couldn't imagine enjoying seeing an animal suffer.
    I think it's entirely possible that the guy in the video might have taped it because the snake was doing something "weird." Cutting the head off and seeing a snake still moving although it may be known to us that they do this, he may have saw that and grabbed the camera...

Quote Originally Posted by Marrissa View Post
    I get why he killed it. What ticks me off is that he didn't destroy the brain and that he got amusement and laughter from it's writhing body.
    Again, not everyone knows the "proper" way to kill an animal. I would bet if you walked down the street and asked people what they think the most humane way would be to kill an animal (other than euthanasia) they would say to cut off the head.

The video is quite sad and it's very uncool to laugh about an animals suffering but I know that when I was a kid growing up on a farm, my brothers would kill poisonous snakes and other wild animals too (if they posed a threat) just to keep us kids safe. Out there, it was just a part of life and nobody was ever called in to deal with an animal. It was never an easy or fun event and we were taught that taking a life should never be fun, be quick and as painless as possible and always have a reason. Respect the animals and if you can, just avoid them but not everyone is brought up that way. "Snakes are scary" although we may not see it that way, is often the norm. In this case, one of my brothers probably would have killed that snake too as it was in a wood pile and we had a lot of bonfires where people would have come into contact with that woodpile quite often.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast