Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

1 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question I have a concern about my ball python...advise please

Hi, this is my first time on this site. The snake is my daughters', our first and he's about 10 mths old. He's really sweet and docile...well was until tonight. I held him for a few minutes, as I often do and then he just went for my finger. Took a while for him to let go...had to run him under water. I believe it was probably because I was handling the ferret just before hand and only rinsed my hands, didn't wash them. So, I attribute this bite to the scent of the ferret on my hands. There was a lot of blood and so he probably enjoyed the taste, meanwhile connecting it to ferret scent. So, my concern is: He's in the same room with the ferret (my daughter's room). Do you think since he has experienced the smell of the ferret and the taste of blood, he will constantly be focused on the ferret in the same room with him? If you don't already know this, ferrets have such a STRONG odor. You can smell her scent downstairs. Do you think the scent will preoccupy him and he may now become more aggressive? I don't know if this is a stupid question but my concern is that he will continue to lash out for as long as he is motivated by ferret scent.

Thanks

I have a concern about my ball python...advise please

I don't see why it should change his behavior. It was most likely just the scent on your hands. I keep rodents in the same room as my snakes, and haven't had any issues. Granted, ferrets do smell much stronger. When was the last time your ball was fed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I have a concern about my ball python...advise please

Quote Originally Posted by alimay View Post
    Hi, this is my first time on this site. The snake is my daughters', our first and he's about 10 mths old. He's really sweet and docile...well was until tonight. I held him for a few minutes, as I often do and then he just went for my finger. Took a while for him to let go...had to run him under water. I believe it was probably because I was handling the ferret just before hand and only rinsed my hands, didn't wash them. So, I attribute this bite to the scent of the ferret on my hands. There was a lot of blood and so he probably enjoyed the taste, meanwhile connecting it to ferret scent. So, my concern is: He's in the same room with the ferret (my daughter's room). Do you think since he has experienced the smell of the ferret and the taste of blood, he will constantly be focused on the ferret in the same room with him? If you don't already know this, ferrets have such a STRONG odor. You can smell her scent downstairs. Do you think the scent will preoccupy him and he may now become more aggressive? I don't know if this is a stupid question but my concern is that he will continue to lash out for as long as he is motivated by ferret scent.
    Ferrets usually have their scent glands removed so the scent should not be that strong. I wouldn't keep them in the same room, but that's me. Snakes have an excellent sense of smell, and it's very possible i went for your finger because of the smell of the ferret, or it could quite possibly be hungry. How often do you feed it?
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

I fed him last on Monday and usually I do give him more quiet time before picking him up. Normally I would give him 5 days or so to digest.

Thanks

I feed him 1/wk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Ferrets usually have their scent glands removed so the scent should not be that strong. I wouldn't keep them in the same room, but that's me. Snakes have an excellent sense of smell, and it's very possible i went for your finger because of the smell of the ferret, or it could quite possibly be hungry. How often do you feed it?
    Not true ferrets are from the weasel family and will smell bad regardless. If you bath them it gets worse. They're suppose to not stink if you have them removed and if you have them spayed or neutered on top of that boy is that a bunch of crap.

I was also led to believe this and spent over 600 dollars for a full setup which was 2 ferrets, cage and accessories ect. Just sold them on Craig's list for 200 and I couldnt be happier.

Told my 2 boys that we are keeping to reptiles and rats and that we will get them another beardie since we lost ours over the winter and the ferrets was the replacement.

To the OP I think the ferret is ok in the same room. I think you're right why you got tagged, just wash hands before handling BP after ferrets. Better yet don't hold ferrets before BP.
    Last edited by Diamond Serpents; 08-09-2013 at 02:00 AM.
    -Brian-

Thanks

Yes, she has been de-glanded and fixed, have even tried some drops in her water to decrease scent.....doesn't do anything. I'm used to it now. Ok, I agree, better yet, don't handle ferret before picking up snake. And let's say I did handle ferret earlier in the day, washed hands well, etc.....but have on a shirt that may hold scent of ferret....that would also be picked up by snake right?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Serpents View Post
    Not true ferrets are from the weasel family and will smell bad regardless. If you bath them it gets worse. They're suppose to not stink if you have them removed and if you have them spayed or neutered on top of that boy is that a bunch of crap.

I was also led to believe this and spent over 600 dollars for a full setup which was 2 ferrets, cage and accessories ect. Just sold them on Craig's list for 200 and I couldnt be happier.

Told my 2 boys that we are keeping to reptiles and rats and that we will get them another beardie since we lost ours over the winter and the ferrets was the replacement.

To the OP I think the ferret is ok in the same room. I think you're right why you got tagged, just wash hands before handling BP after ferrets. Better yet don't hold ferrets before BP.
    I've had ferrets before. From the pet store they come with the scent glands removed, or at least here they do. They don't smell as bad as people make them out to be, now if your ferret has it's scent glands still then I cannot speak for that. Look on your ferrets ear, they usually have a tattoo(2 dots). Marshall Farms uses two blue dots, as a marking that the ferret was descented and neutered. I'm not sure if other breeders do this or not, but I know Marshall Farms probably is the most common ferrets kept at pet stores.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Yes, the smell is really not so terrible...well I don't find it offensive anyway....strong but not a big deal. We did get her from Marshall Farms.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alimay View Post
    Yes, the smell is really not so terrible...well I don't find it offensive anyway....strong but not a big deal. We did get her from Marshall Farms.
    Yea, so your ferret shoul have two blue dots in one of the ears, it's a tattoo or their sign of marking rather. I know they're stronger smelling and for that reason I'd keep them in separate rooms, but I'm going to say ferret smell on hand + heat signature of your body triggered that BP to go into feeding mode.
    -Venomous-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast