Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,511

1 members and 3,510 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Recommend herp treatments/supplies to have on hand?

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    This is turning out to be a decent list, though I am curious about what the dental floss is for.
    For this http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...y-Graphic-Pics
    Deborah Stewart

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Virus (08-13-2013)

Thanks
    I was wondering if it would have to do with something like that. Thank you for the link, I believe I've read it before, though I had forgotten about it.

So Deb, I can't help but to ask. Do your hatchlings prefer mint or cinnamon flavored floss?
    _____________Khulric_____________
    1.0 Common Snapping Turtle
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.2 Ball pythons
    1.4 Western Hognose
    1.0 Dumerils Boa
    0.3 Leopard Geckos

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Virus For This Useful Post:

Stewart_Reptiles (08-13-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RockyGurly View Post
    Hey all!
    I'm getting my first snakes soonish, and I'm also taking in a few more rescue reptiles, and a scoprion, and another frog, and it looks like another cat this month So I think it's about time I started stocking up on some treatments/supplies (I'm not even sure if they'd be called medicines?)
    I keep hearing good things about Prevent-a-mite, but I can't find anywhere that'll ship it to Canada because it's flammable. I've seen various reptile mite treatments at pet stores, but to my knowledge, most of the stuff they sell is bogus. Are there any good brands? I've seen Zillas mite-off, Zoo meds Repti-mite, and a few others. And if they're all bogus, what kind of mite brands do you Canadians use?
    I've also seen different opinions about a shedding aid. Some say it's useless and a reptile sauna is the way to go, some say it really helps. I've only found zoo med's shedding aid so far.
    I've also heard things about products to scent food with to encourage feeding, multi vitamins, and all sorts of odd treatments and concoctions. And I'm sure there's dozens I haven't even heard about. I found a couple things on Exclusive Snakes that look interesting, but I'm not sure if they'd be worth it? http://www.exclusivesnakes.com/HealthCare.html
    And I'm investing in a PE-2 temp gun, a nice scale and a snake hook, and maybe some other odds and ends if I find some cool stuff at the WCRE
    So what kind of treatments/medicines do you always keep handy? Anything sold in a pet store that's actually useful? Or an awesome site (that ships to Canada) you'd recommend? Something general or something species specific? (I haven't had a need for any of these things yet so I'm a bit lost in the sea of information)
    I see myself filling up the reptile room pretty quickly with rescues considering how many I've been contacted about already. So I'm hoping to keep myself well stocked.
    Thanks a ton!
    Provent-a-mite is available at the reptile expos here in Ontario and I think a few people sell it online here. Original Listerine I have heard used for mites as well, never used it myself so cannot comment on safety or effectiveness.
    Chlorhexidine gluconate if you can't locate F10 SC (There is a guy on reptilescanada.com that imports some and sells some off from time to time.) is another great pick-up.

Personal preference again but, nitrile gloves beat latex hands down and you can never have enough of those.

Thanks
    The one essential thing that I do not see listed here is the phone number of a good herp vet in your area. They are not as easy to find as you would think. It is better to do your research and find one before you need one.

Thanks

Oh yea, that's a must for sure (I guess I thought it was obvious )

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123