Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

1 members and 3,322 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Got my first Ball Python! Picture and questions.

I got my first ball python today! She is a 1 year old female (or so he said), and is about 20 inches long. Is she undersized or is that about right? I haven't weighed her yet, but she looks ok and he said she eats weekly (f/t). Anyway I could tell right away I was going to have to put some money into her set up. She has no UTH, her water bowl and hide are massive! Below I have some questions, don't worry about answering them all (or add other advice), any help you guys can give is totally helpful!

I get the feeling she'd be better off with a few snug fitting hides not this giant one, are there any commercial ones that your BPs loved at this size?

Should I get her a smaller water dish too or is this one fine?

As for a UTH, is about 30% of the floor space right? That would be the exo terra extra large which is 11x17", the enclosure floor is 31x19, so if I put it to one side that would take up a 3rd of the tank, does that sound right?

She is on aspen right now, but I might change that, is there a substrate you prefer? Why?

I'm getting a probe thermometer and digital thermometer and hygrometer combo as well as he only had one of those stick on hygrometers which I'm going to remove.

I can tell she needs belly heat, she feels like my rescue leopard gecko did when I first got her and all she had was a light, always a little cold to the touch and super super docile and inactive, probably because she wants to soak up some body heat LOL. I'm placing an order today from Pets and Ponds (I'm in Canada), so she'll have to live the way she's been living for a few days more.

Here she is, it's more of a size comparison with her hide and enclosure than to really get a good look at her. Her water dish is about the same size as the hide is.

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The hide is too big for her, but on the other hand if she's eating a f/t rat every week then I wouldn't change it. She's clearly comfortable in it. Same goes for the water dish. However, to answer your question, yes there are smaller hides. The one you have looks like an exo terra hide, and they come in smaller sizes.

As for the UTH. You can get a medium or large, but don't plug it in until you have a thermostat to regulate it.

I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but the CRBE is just around the corner and you can find thermostats there for pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Rickys_Reptiles; 08-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    You have a thermostat too??
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

Thanks
    I have been using a rheostat (basic dimmer) for my gecko's tank with no issues, would that not work?
    Last edited by Shera; 08-07-2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: misspelling

Thanks
    Oh, and she's on f/t white mice, I have heard rats are better (higher in protein?), but worry about changing to them because I don't want her to not eat. Are mice fine or should I make the switch? I'm in Ottawa ON btw.

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thermostats are better; Hydrofarm is the nice cheap brand. You dial the temp in and it turns the UTH on/off for you. If you end up getting more (they're addicting) you'll end up using a thermostat anyway

And congrats for owning snakes in Canada...keep the faith
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Got my first Ball Python! Picture and questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shera View Post
    Oh, and she's on f/t white mice, I have heard rats are better (higher in protein?), but worry about changing to them because I don't want her to not eat. Are mice fine or should I make the switch? I'm in Ottawa ON btw.
    I would keep her on mice for the next little while, but once she has had a few meals at your place I'd offer her rats instead. If she is a girl then she'll need larger food one day and it's easier to switch her to rats from mice at a young age then it will be when she's older.

Rats are pretty easy to find in Ottawa.

Thanks
    i would keep the hide for later, or maybe just leave it in, but get her a smaller hide in the meantime.

maybe a coconut shell or something. Offering several hides, when they easily fit into the enclosure, is never bad.

Thanks

Re: Got my first Ball Python! Picture and questions.

Ok, thanks, that's what I'm going to do.

Also does anyone know if I can use apple tree branches in the enclosure? I'm not sure if they would be ok, or what I need to do to prepare them (bake in oven and sand them??)

Thanks
    So I found someone online who sells frozen rats, what size do you think she'd need at 20 inches long? She has been eating 3 inch (from nose to base of tail) mice until now, it that a good size for her?

I bought an acurite thermo/hygrometer from Lowes today, it was cheaper than the exo terra one and I don't need a probe on the cooler side anyway. I have a spare thermometer with probe for my warmer (UTH) area, so I'm going to do the rheostat thing for now, I'll be in there often, and if I notice that it's not doing it's job at all, I will buy a thermostat, but I've never had an issue with my geckos, so I'll get the same brand.

Is there a better bedding than aspen? I use paper towel for my leopard gecko, but they can have impaction issues due to ingestion while hunting. I have half a bag of care fresh from a past hamster, can I use that? Will frequent bedding changes upset the snake?

Does anyone know about the apple tree branch question I asked in the above post.

Sorry I have so many questions, I'm new at this. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast