Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,250

2 members and 3,248 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Rickys_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Does your BP have lighting?

Hello,

Hope you're all well

So I've slowly moved away from the conventional and towards a different approach in keeping my Ball Pythons. For roughly the past 6 months or so I have been keeping my BP's without hot spots, or even light. They are in a room, which is dedicated to BP's. The temperature fluctuates between 85 and 87 degrees, and the humidity between 50%-60%. The lights are off 24/7.

The snakes all eat well, pass waste normally and have not exhibited any illnesses.

Your thoughts are welcomed!

Thanks
    im going to assume that you keep them in a room with a window so that there is natural light? You did not make that clear when you say that you keep the lights off 24/7. They are not kept in total darkness correct?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Does your BP have lighting?

Quote Originally Posted by norwegn113 View Post
    im going to assume that you keep them in a room with a window so that there is natural light? You did not make that clear when you say that you keep the lights off 24/7. They are not kept in total darkness correct?
    They are kept in total darkness.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post
    Just curious, why?
    I know they feel most comfortable in dim and dark light, but to me it's a little weird to keep them in complete darkness, all the time. My bp room is kept with the blinds shut but light easily filters in. Each has a hide, and I've noticed that some choose to be out of it sometimes. I like them being able to have the option (though some of my shy guys would probably prefer more dark)
    Females: 0.1 fire; 0.1 sugar; 0.1 GHI; 0.1 pinstripe het desert ghost; 0.1 mojave spider; 0.2 mojave; 0.1 black pewter blast; 0.1 leopard pied; 0.1 champagne; 0.1 pied; 0.1 super pastel lesser; 0.1 pewter; 0.1 spider het pied, 0.1 bumblebee; 0.1 lesser; 0.1 spider; 0.1 normal; 0.3 het pied
    Males: 1.0 het desert ghost; 1.0 pastel pied; 1.0 leopard; 1.0 black pastel; 1.0 enchi; 1.0 mojave; 1.0 cinnamon; 1.0 pied; 1.0 vanilla

Other species: 1.0.3 pacman frogs (sunkissed, super apricot, super blue, super lime green); 0.2 crested gecko; 1.0 hypo hog island boa; 0.1 normal boa; 1.0 rottweiler; 1.0 chihuahua

instagram = lesliep91

Thanks

wow ...ok to each his own I suppose. Im sure that ANYTHING can and will adapt( hence evolution ) however I would not base my snakes health and long term damage on the fact that they eat and poop just fine. the sun provides more than just a light to see by. Eventually with no light those snakes will go blind and lose their colors! ( look at catfish that survive only in caves! ) they are all blind and lack any color pigment! we as humans are pretty smart cookies but nature was developed in such a complex and delicate way that we can not even begin to understand how it is all linked and works in perfect harmony! Although they may choose to hang out in dark places most of the time , remember it is a choice and they can and will seek light when they want to UNLESS that choice is taken away from them! I personally do not approve with your experiment and think it borders on cruelty but thats just my opinion! Have a good day.
    Last edited by norwegn113; 08-06-2013 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SnowShredder View Post
    Just curious, why?
    I know they feel most comfortable in dim and dark light, but to me it's a little weird to keep them in complete darkness, all the time. My bp room is kept with the blinds shut but light easily filters in. Each has a hide, and I've noticed that some choose to be out of it sometimes. I like them being able to have the option (though some of my shy guys would probably prefer more dark)
    When I started to build my BP room I moved all my snakes into my incubator (which is dark 24/7). They were in there for the better part of 3 months. While in there I noticed they all seemed totally fine. They all ate normally, acted normally, didn't get sick in any way. So I just left it that way.

I have considdered putting a lamp in the BP room on a 12 on, 12 off timer. But, until I've decided 100% I'm leaving the lights off.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by norwegn113 View Post
    wow ...ok to each his own I suppose. Im sure that ANYTHING can and will adapt( hence evolution ) however I would not base my snakes health and long term damage on the fact that they eat and poop just fine. the sun provides more than just a light to see by. Eventually with no light those snakes will go blind and lose their colors! ( look at catfish that survive only in caves! ) they are all blind and lack any color pigment! we as humans are pretty smart cookies but nature was developed in such a complex and delicate way that we can not even begin to understand how it is all linked and works in perfect harmony! Although they may choose to hang out in dark places most of the time , remember it is a choice and they can and will seek light when they want to UNLESS that choice is taken away from them! I personally do not approve with your experiment and think it borders on cruelty but thats just my opinion! Have a good day.
    Yeah, I agree with a lot of your views. I havent decided if I'm going to keep them in the dark forever. I have a lamp and a timer ready to go should I choose to go that route. I'm mostly on here seeking opinions and then I'll decide. I appreciate your views

Thanks

Mine are in a room with a window that faces north. I do keep the blinds closed so there isn't any direct light in the room, but they do have a natural daylight cycle, for whatever that's worth.

Whatever works for you, as long as your animals are healthy and seem "happy", is what you should do.
    `*`

Thanks

Yeah, I agree with a lot of your views. I havent decided if I'm going to keep them in the dark forever. I have a lamp and a timer ready to go should I choose to go that route. I'm mostly on here seeking opinions and then I'll decide. I appreciate your views
    please understand that this is not a personal attack on you but more your experiment. alot can be learned through experimentation but we as keepers have to weigh out the advantages to the risks. I see no direct advantage ( other than a very small energy saving, which im positive a person could save more in energy by way of insulation and energy efficient climate control than could ever be saved by a few lights!) to keeping snakes in total darkness. Wires and electrodes and circuit boards can all be scraped when experiments go bad but what do we do with living creatures that depend on us for their very existence? As keepers we have all took an unspoken oath to "Do no harm!" thats why we were given large brains and thumbs!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to norwegn113 For This Useful Post:

Rickys_Reptiles (08-06-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Mine are in tubs/racks with no lighting other than ambient through the windows. Even most of the tanks for the boas and our other snakes don't have lights, unless they're needed during the winter to maintain ambient temperatures.
    Last edited by bcr229; 08-06-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast