Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

2 members and 3,157 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: King Cobras- How?

Quote Originally Posted by zach_24_90 View Post
    Keeping hots is. It for beginners or anything like that. I myself have a few. I choose to keep Bitis because they arent super spastic. They are pretty lazy like fat little pigs and they ride a hook or two very nice. I know that if one gets dropped it's not going to be on the other side of the room in 2 seconds like a cobra or something like that. And your probably saying to yourself yeah but they have the fastest strike in the world and thats why the only thing i ever put in their steike radius is a hook. That being said I am by no means complacent nor do I get into that comfort zone that you can have with normal snakes. I don't free handle and I'm not much for pinning hots and grabbing them by the head either. Just unneeded risk in my situation because I don't need to milk them or anything like that. Keeping hots is something that has to be thought through and you should never just go to a show and buy a hot.
    If you don't think that Bitis are capable of being super spastic then you haven't spent enough time around Bitis. They are ALL capable of mind bending feats of athletic behavior. I have seen many large "fat"' gabbons, puff's, rhinos do things you would never believe them capable of. If you don't believe me I've got a young male puff adder right now that would be happy to show you exactly what these animals are capable of. Don't underestimate these guys. Trust me you will regret it.
    Visit us for all your housing needs http://www.herphouses.com/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jason_ladouceur View Post
    If you don't think that Bitis are capable of being super spastic then you haven't spent enough time around Bitis. They are ALL capable of mind bending feats of athletic behavior. I have seen many large "fat"' gabbons, puff's, rhinos do things you would never believe them capable of. If you don't believe me I've got a young male puff adder right now that would be happy to show you exactly what these animals are capable of. Don't underestimate these guys. Trust me you will regret it.
    True. They can be. But at the same time are are no mamba. I never said I was underestimating them. In fact I said quite the opposite actually. Don't try to come on here and bash everything I said. Your not contributing to the conversation at all that way. I was only stating my opinion. I don't need you telling me I'm wrong about this and that. Obviously they can freak out. What snake can't. But I've met 100 cobras and mambas and who knows what for every 1 bitis that acts crazy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zach_24_90 View Post
    True. They can be. But at the same time are are no mamba. I never said I was underestimating them. In fact I said quite the opposite actually. Don't try to come on here and bash everything I said. Your not contributing to the conversation at all that way. I was only stating my opinion. I don't need you telling me I'm wrong about this and that. Obviously they can freak out. What snake can't. But I've met 100 cobras and mambas and who knows what for every 1 bitis that acts crazy.
    Pissy much?
    I wasn't in any way attempting to bash anything you said. Just attempting to point out that the lazy, laid back attitudes of Bitis are largely over stated. Far to often I hear about how calm this group is. And with the explosive capabilities they posses its critical that people who keep the large members of Bitis remain constantly aware of what they are capable of. That's all.
    Now back on point to the op.
    King cobras can and are safely handled by experienced keepers all the time. There are many techniques utilized. Free handling is not one of them. Hook and tail is typically the most common and "safe" way for when the animal must be physically manipulated for what ever reason. But like all large elapids, using a shifting cage or trap box to limit the exposure to the specimen is IMO the perfered method when ever possible.

Thanks
    All of the snakes will be different i have puff adders, copperheads and cobras, one king cobra. My male puff is crazy too lol.. i have pics of the king cobra on facebook. Joe parker is my name if ya want to see them..
    There is a site called venomousreptiles.org most people free hande large kings good luck trying to hook a 16 foot king cobra lol. Look at ray hunters pics on facebook too he freehandles them but has lots of experience with cobras

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

King Cobras- How?

Quote Originally Posted by jparker1167 View Post
    All of the snakes will be different i have puff adders, copperheads and cobras, one king cobra. My male puff is crazy too lol.. i have pics of the king cobra on facebook. Joe parker is my name if ya want to see them..
    There is a site called venomousreptiles.org most people free hande large kings good luck trying to hook a 16 foot king cobra lol. Look at ray hunters pics on facebook too he freehandles them but has lots of experience with cobras
    Errrrrr, 3 of my best friends have king cobras, none of them free handle. Free handling is reserved for idiots, or people lacking vital grey matter.

How many times has ray been bitten by venomous snakes? More than his fair share.

Hook and tail, is a perfectly useable method when working with kings.
    Last edited by Crotalids; 08-14-2013 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks
    I dont believe ray has been bit by a king cobra, you do what works for you and if that is not using a hook for large kings then that's your decision. I would bet that ray had kept and handled more cobras than you and your friends and me all combined. I will have a hook for mine, but i also wouldnt call someone like ray an idot when hes being doing this for as long as he has. I have seen tons of large kings free handled not what i would do but those are people that have been doing it for as long as i have been alive so it works fof them

Thanks

I'm not sure I would call Ray an Idiot exactly. He is clearly a skilled handler with TONS of experience. But I would have to agree that free handling any hot is a bad idea. I've seen plenty of kings handled using a hook. It's not easy but it certainly is not impossible. So why take the risk of free handling if you don't have to? Trouble is a lot of times when people spend so much time around dangerous animals they become complacent and do things like free handle because its easier than doing it the proper and safe way. But at the end of the day it's not my life and I don't lay there medical insurance so people can do what ever they want.

Thanks
    I agree i would use a hook, but a 3 foot hook on a 15' king really doesnt seem to be much different than without. I dont free handle anything hot, never have and never will. But some people are able to do it and have for many years. I wouldnt call those people stupid.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123