Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 913

0 members and 913 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Weight Loss Challenge

If you can afford to get with a nutritionist, i highly recommend it. Making sure you are eating the right amount of the right calories is very important.

I started a weightloss program almost 6 weeks ago and we (my nutritionist and i) have already tweaked my food intake twice to help me keep losing. I want eating nearly enough calories for the amount i was burning off during workouts!

Good luck in your journey!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    1.0 Spider "Charlie"
    1.1 Normal "Precious" "Chumley"
    0.1 Pastel "Sweet Dee"
    1.1 Mojave "Stewie" "Little Bit"
    0.1 Lesser "Sally"
    1.0 Pied "Jack"
    1.0 Nile Monitor "Superman"
    0.1 Bearded Dragons "Snookie"
    0.0.1 Sulcuta Tortoise "Kenny Powers"
    1.0 Chocolate lab "Dante"
    1.0 Now snake obsessed boyfriend

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jbean7916 For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (07-31-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,311 Times in 1,063 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys.

Thanks for the well wishes.

A couple background comments:

Last summer I was running 10 miles 3x/wk and doing 11-12min miles. Last September I ran a half marathon then proceeded to gain 30 pounds between then and the new year; before I started running 3.5 miles/day this week I was doing 5+ miles 1-2x/wk. I suspect within the next 2 weeks I'll get bored with 3.5 miles and will increase distance to 4-4.5 miles. For me 11min miles is a small goal, getting down to 10min miles is a much larger goal for me to achieve. The numbers wouldn't suggest 11min miles is a small goal but we will see how things progress over the next 2 weeks.

My nutrition is much better than it was 2-3 weeks ago, I've cut out a lot of carbs and increased my protein/fruit/veggie intake.

For me personally, I've found 4-6 small meals works best for me as it keeps something in my stomach and prevents me from getting to a place where I binge eat. Everyone is different, my boss eats 3 meals a day and losses weight. I read an article a few months ago about a teacher from Stanford(I think) did a "Twinkie diet". He lost 16lbs in a month and increased his good cholesterol. Granted he didn't eat just twinkies and mixed in salads here and there, I think it shows not just what you eat but how you eat. Managing your diet is very important.

I've heard hockey players say this: "You have nothing if you don't have your legs." I apply it to my running and need to get my legs back.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Albino Black Rat snake(Wafer)
    0.0.1 California King snake(Oreo)
    0.0.1 African Housesnake(Cupcake)
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk snake(Blackjack)
    0.0.2 Normal BP(Petey; Twix)
    0.0.1 Yellow Rat Snake(Dijon)
    0.0.1 Madagascar Speckled Hognose(Granola)[RIP]
    1.0.0 Albino Nelson's Milk snake(Candy Cane)
    1.0.0 Lesser BP(Creme Brulee)
    1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)
    0.1.0 Black Motley Corn snake(Anisette)
    0.0.1 Pueblan Milk snake[Fostering, Taco Grande]
    0.1.0 West African Mud Turtle(Bulger)
    0.2.0 Red Eared Slider(Squirtle, Turtwig)
    1.0.0 Rat Terrorier(Ranger)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec4mia View Post
    perhaps "metabolism" was a bad choice of wording, 5-6 is more conducive to weight loss. I tried to word it as simplistic as possible and people often associate fat loss with having a faster metabolism, I do not know what the OP experience is with dieting or exercising so I was speaking in general. As far as the "smaller" meals the average persons meals are usually to large to be consumed 5-6 times per day compared to a meal with a good macro ratio.

I assume the OP is getting enough saturated fats, I agree that people often mistake fats as being bad or that the good fats are only omega 3 and 6.

Whole foods are great but there is nothing wrong with a high quality protein shake when your crunched for time. Brown and white rice are both fine, brown rice has more fiber and nutrients in it but is slowly released to the blood stream, white rice is digested faster and easier on the stomach so you don't feel bloated but it also enters the blood stream faster and causes more of an insulin "spike"; insulin is also a fat storing hormone.
    Forgive me if i'm not understanding this, are you saying the advantage of 5-6 smaller meals is that people tend to overeat when eating less frequently and overall caloric intake is higher for those eating less often? if that is the case then yes I will agree with you. That said, if macros are tracked effectively then there will be no advantage.
    and yes, its safe to assume the average American ingests enough fat but one of the first things people eliminate when eating "healthy" is sat fats or even fats in general. and I agree, protein shakes are fine and I actually just consider them food rather than a supplement.

As far as GL, GI, and their effect on insulin are concerned insulin's role as a fat storage hormone is far overblown and can't overcome a caloric deficit.
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...claims-part-1/
    I'm not your friend buddy!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rickys_Reptiles View Post
    Why tomorrow??...
    Quote Originally Posted by van_garret2000 View Post
    ...We instinctively live in te present. Goes bak to cave man days, living day To day to survive. No "I'll do my hunting tomorrow." ...
    Not gonna lie, I had a couple moments of self-doubt and want to be lazy the last couple days and wanting to put it off until tomorrow. So I changed what I was telling myself. Instead of saying "I'll run tomorrow and work a little harder." I said "I want to lose weight today, not tomorrow."

Thanks van_garret2000 and Ricky's_Repitles.

Today's stats:

Miles: 3.5
    Time: 49mins flat(1:30 faster than yesterday)
    Calories: 1230
    Time per mile: 14mins flat

I want to lose weight today. Therefore, I run today.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)

Thanks

Forgive me if i'm not understanding this, are you saying the advantage of 5-6 smaller meals is that people tend to overeat when eating less frequently and overall caloric intake is higher for those eating less often?
    Yes, largely due to the crappy food available these days. By smaller I don't mean portions.

That said, if macros are tracked effectively then there will be no advantage.
    perhaps, but I find it hard to get the right amount of protein from just 2 or 3 meals to build lean body mass since the body cannot store protein.

yes, its safe to assume the average American ingests enough fat but one of the first things people eliminate when eating "healthy" is sat fats or even fats in general
    right, but there is a big difference between an order of deep fried onion rings and a handful of cashews.

As far as GL, GI, and their effect on insulin are concerned insulin's role as a fat storage hormone is far overblown and can't overcome a caloric deficit.
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...claims-part-1/
    I stated that merely as trivial info, agree to disagree. as do most of the people commenting on the article.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrate81 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Thanks for the well wishes.

A couple background comments:

Last summer I was running 10 miles 3x/wk and doing 11-12min miles. Last September I ran a half marathon then proceeded to gain 30 pounds between then and the new year; before I started running 3.5 miles/day this week I was doing 5+ miles 1-2x/wk. I suspect within the next 2 weeks I'll get bored with 3.5 miles and will increase distance to 4-4.5 miles. For me 11min miles is a small goal, getting down to 10min miles is a much larger goal for me to achieve. The numbers wouldn't suggest 11min miles is a small goal but we will see how things progress over the next 2 weeks.

My nutrition is much better than it was 2-3 weeks ago, I've cut out a lot of carbs and increased my protein/fruit/veggie intake.

For me personally, I've found 4-6 small meals works best for me as it keeps something in my stomach and prevents me from getting to a place where I binge eat. Everyone is different, my boss eats 3 meals a day and losses weight. I read an article a few months ago about a teacher from Stanford(I think) did a "Twinkie diet". He lost 16lbs in a month and increased his good cholesterol. Granted he didn't eat just twinkies and mixed in salads here and there, I think it shows not just what you eat but how you eat. Managing your diet is very important.

I've heard hockey players say this: "You have nothing if you don't have your legs." I apply it to my running and need to get my legs back.

Good job man, keep up the good work.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aztec4mia For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (08-01-2013)

Thanks

Feeling cocky about my weigh in tomorrow morning cause I feel a bit lighter after "unloading" for the first time in 2 days. Although that is not abnormal for me as I find when I eat a normal/healthier diet and exercise more, my body seems to produce less waste.

Today's stats:

Time: 48mins 30secs(30secs faster than yesterday)
    Calories: 1050
    Time per mile: <14mins

After weigh in, I'll post up totals for the first week. I expect a 2.5lb loss, anything greater is a bonus.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec4mia View Post
    Yes, largely due to the crappy food available these days. By smaller I don't mean portions.
    okay, I can agree if one gets very hungry the tendency to overeat is more present. more of a satiety issue

perhaps, but I find it hard to get the right amount of protein from just 2 or 3 meals to build lean body mass since the body cannot store protein.
    I guess this varies by the individual, I would have no issue consuming adequate protein in 3 or even 2 meals. Not sure where not storing protein fits but it is entirely possible to maintain a positive nitrogen balance and maintain MPS in 2-3 meals to maintain or even increase LBM.
    right, but there is a big difference between an order of deep fried onion rings and a handful of cashews.
    Macro, nutrition, and calorie wise but if your talking lets say 25g fat from the rings vs 25g fat from cashews not at all in terms of effect on body composition.

I stated that merely as trivial info, agree to disagree. as do most of the people commenting on the article.
    Fair enough, but I do challenge you to look deeper into insulin and GI and its effects on body comp. when you are able to sift through the broscience its actually quite overblown.
    and I am really not trying to come off as a prick but as an exercise science major with a vested interest in nutrition its amazing how much BS floats around and how much harder people make things for themselves. its kinda a hot button for me since I spent years falling for it.
    Feeling cocky about my weigh in tomorrow morning cause I feel a bit lighter after "unloading" for the first time in 2 days. Although that is not abnormal for me as I find when I eat a normal/healthier diet and exercise more, my body seems to produce less waste.

Today's stats:

Time: 48mins 30secs(30secs faster than yesterday)
    Calories: 1050
    Time per mile: <14mins

After weigh in, I'll post up totals for the first week. I expect a 2.5lb loss, anything greater is a bonus.
    great work keeping at it. One thing I would suggest is to mix up your exercise a bit. the beauty of the human body is that as it adapts to the training stress it becomes more efficient and you get less caloric bang for your buck as you progress, so you can go longer and harder with less caloric demands. isn't mother nature kind haha?
    an excellent alternative to walking is riding a bike, its very joint friendly and can actually help increase lower body mass. if you have a bike I highly suggest you go out and ride it soon before the weather gets gross.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djansen View Post
    great work keeping at it. One thing I would suggest is to mix up your exercise a bit. the beauty of the human body is that as it adapts to the training stress it becomes more efficient and you get less caloric bang for your buck as you progress, so you can go longer and harder with less caloric demands. isn't mother nature kind haha?
    an excellent alternative to walking is riding a bike, its very joint friendly and can actually help increase lower body mass. if you have a bike I highly suggest you go out and ride it soon before the weather gets gross.
    Ty.

Right now I'm focusing on getting back into rhythm and getting my times down. Next week I will increase mileage or mix in some days where I do sprints. When it gets colder I'll start hitting up spin and zumba classes. I LOVE spin classes and recommend them or zumba to anyone, even guys. Right now it's one day and one week at a time.
    -Yar

1.0.0 Mojo BP(Brownie)

Thanks

Ty.

Right now I'm focusing on getting back into rhythm and getting my times down. Next week I will increase mileage or mix in some days where I do sprints. When it gets colder I'll start hitting up spin and zumba classes. I LOVE spin classes and recommend them or zumba to anyone, even guys. Right now it's one day and one week at a time.
    good to hear

sounds like you got a good plan to follow. Spin classes are intense, those bikes are one of the best pieces of equipment in the gym and I personally don't even bother with the others. You can take any guy or gal I don't care how in shape or "jacked" they are after an intense spin class the pump in your legs will be insane.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to djansen For This Useful Post:

Pyrate81 (08-02-2013)

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast