Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 529

1 members and 528 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big bull snakes

Thanks

Big bull snakes

Does anyone have a 6 ft plus bull snake pic they wanna share? I hear a lot about bull snakes getting rather large but online pics and videos are few and far between. I haven't seen too many impressive bull pics. I have a male about 4 ft and female who might be approaching 5 1/2. Alot of the bull snake pics of 6 footers I have seen are pretty thin. Anyone have any pics of big and bulky bulls? Or any impressive and bulky pituophis? I have heard of girthy 7 footers but I have yet to see a picture. I think my female might eventually get over 6' but she isn't too girthy.

Thanks

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lucas339 For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (08-07-2013),cecilbturtle (01-22-2014),Daybreaker (08-02-2013)

Thanks

Re: Big bull snakes

Quote Originally Posted by goopyguy View Post
    Does anyone have a 6 ft plus bull snake pic they wanna share? I hear a lot about bull snakes getting rather large but online pics and videos are few and far between. I haven't seen too many impressive bull pics. I have a male about 4 ft and female who might be approaching 5 1/2. Alot of the bull snake pics of 6 footers I have seen are pretty thin. Anyone have any pics of big and bulky bulls? Or any impressive and bulky pituophis? I have heard of girthy 7 footers but I have yet to see a picture. I think my female might eventually get over 6' but she isn't too girthy.
    Thank you. Thats pretty good sized. Havent seen to many of those.

Thanks
    I don't know how tall you are. I would assume he/she is 7ft ish.

Thanks
    She is just over 7 feet.

Thanks
    That thing is huge...I'm a little confused...when I was at the reptile show I saw a bull snake for the first time and asked the breeder about it since I had never seen/heard of them and he said it is what they call gopher snakes on the east coast?! That doesn't look like any gopher snake that I have seen.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    I am not a huge expert on this. I am pretty sure that Bull snakes are classified as a type of gopher snake now. But there are a lot of differences in color patterns and so on. Of all the snakes that I know of Bull/Pine/Gopher snakes seem to have a lot more localities attached to a name. Like "Christmas Mountain Bullsnake" or "San Diego Gopher snake". And the different localities have different patterns and colors. I think some may get larger or smaller etc. Someone else on these forums could probably answer it better than I can.

Thanks
    Technically there are only 3 different species of Pituophis and they don't line up with bull, pine or gopher.

Who ever told you that west coast east coast thing was wrong. They are different sub-species not localities. They are genetically and morphological distinct. The east coast is mostly pines not gophers. The west coast is mostly gophers and the middle of the country is a mix with bulls being there. This is very arbitrary and I am not saying that gophers only occur on the west coast and pines in the east. Bulls go all the way up the center of the country to Canada.

Gophers are different than bulls big time!

They all have a lot of localities but make sure you buy from a reputable breeder for those.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas339 For This Useful Post:

jclaiborne (07-30-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post
    Technically there are only 3 different species of Pituophis and they don't line up with bull, pine or gopher.

Who ever told you that west coast east coast thing was wrong. They are different sub-species not localities. They are genetically and morphological distinct. The east coast is mostly pines not gophers. The west coast is mostly gophers and the middle of the country is a mix with bulls being there. This is very arbitrary and I am not saying that gophers only occur on the west coast and pines in the east. Bulls go all the way up the center of the country to Canada.

They all have a lot of localities but make sure you buy from a reputable breeder for those.
    The west/east coast answer seemed a little off to me, but made the mistake of assuming the breeder knew what he was talking about since he was selling them...kinda sad now that I think about it.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas339 View Post

I am pretty sure bull snakes and gophers are very similar. They are actually classified closer together than to pine snakes. Bull snake= Pituophis catenifer sayi. gopher snake = Pituophis catenifer. pine snake =Pituophis melanoleucus. So technically a Bull Snake is a subspecies of gopher snake.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast