Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,856

0 members and 2,856 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Who has evacuation plans?

For the last 5 days there's been a fire raging in the mountains near where I live. Over 27,000 acres burned, and currently 49% contained. Over 6,000 people evacuated, and hundreds of pets with them, including around or over 200 at a local shelter serving only the evacuated animals. So that got me wondering...

Who here has an evacuation plan for their snakes? If so, do you mind sharing? What do you plan to do about keeping them heated? How long a period do you plan to be able to keep them alive during an evacuation?

I've been evacuated before, but it was before I had snakes. I was out of my house for 5 days. I have a plan in mind to get most of my critters out, but I haven't thought much about how to keep my snakes alive and climate controlled during the time I could be evacuated. Time to re-visit that plan and work out those details!
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    This has been disused before.

The main thing is space. I would put my snakes in pillow cases/snake bags and then in a tub or two. Take my stack of tubs and lids, add some newspaper and stacking plastic hides, grab the space heater and hit the road.

Then once I got where I was going I could separate them out in tubs and plug in the heater.

If you need heat you can use warm water bottles or the disposable warming packs. Be careful with those as they get really hot. Putting them in some thick socks will turn it into a nice snake cuddle buddy.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

sorraia (07-21-2013)

Thanks
    I have a travel tub for each of mine <only have 2>, a portable space heater and a small portable evaporative cooler should I need it. I also have a snake preparedness kit, very easy to grab on the way out. Has back up hides, substrate, spare temp gun and gauges. We are lucky in that we have a toy hauler that is always packed and ready to go with generator, water, towels etc to gather everyone up in including all 8 of our pets and get out. On the bright side, this time of year we don't have a lot to worry about as far as cold temps.

I wish you luck out there, I'm in the AV so am very familiar with your circumstances right now. Had the station fire two years ago and just finished the massive one a few weeks ago. One evacuation, one avoided barely.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMissy For This Useful Post:

sorraia (07-21-2013)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

Re: Who has evacuation plans?

Quote Originally Posted by MsMissy View Post
    I wish you luck out there, I'm in the AV so am very familiar with your circumstances right now. Had the station fire two years ago and just finished the massive one a few weeks ago. One evacuation, one avoided barely.
    Thanks! Last I heard they have the fire 49% contained. There's some rain now, which can be a blessing or a curse. Hoping the rain remains gentle and light, enough to wet things down but not enough to create landslides or flash floods. The mountains are also getting thunderstorms, which is no good at all. Today is going to be a critical day in fighting this fire.
    Why keep a snake? Why keep any animal? Because you enjoy the animal, find something beautiful and fascinating about it, and it fits seamlessly into your lifestyle.

Thanks
    I'm not in a part of the country that evacuations are really a concern, but we have some emergency gear for power outages. The theraputic heat packs you can get at most drug stores are great if you have a lot of snakes since they last so long and don't take up much space. Won't keep a tropical reptile at high enough temps long-term but warm enough to avoid any problems for a few days. We get the ones that you can activate by breaking something inside them in case there's no electricity or microwave to heat things.
    Last edited by DVirginiana; 07-21-2013 at 12:08 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DVirginiana For This Useful Post:

sorraia (07-21-2013)

Thanks

Re: Who has evacuation plans?

Biggest worry would be a power outage so pack everybody, head to a motel where you park at your door unload and blast the heat or a/c.
    No maid service either!
    Stay safe out there and good luck to you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to brock lesser For This Useful Post:

sorraia (07-21-2013)