Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,970

2 members and 2,968 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ASF Questions

Thanks

Re: ASF Questions

What your asking about I think is something that you may have to just take everything you hear and then figure out what actually works best for you, but here are some things I see in my colonies...fyi, I keep about 12-15 colonies, plus one weaned out tub.

First, I was told that grown asf's will fight, and I don't doubt at all that many people do have this problem. I don't, I do not know what is different and why I don't have fighting problems, but I never have trouble with adults fighting. I keep colonies usually at 2.6(or 7) per tub and don't have trouble with adults not getting along. I've had a male die and replaced it with another grown one out of my weaned out tub and still not had trouble.

I mentioned having one tub for weaned out asf's, it's the black concrete mixing tub which at any given time probably has anywhere from 20-50 of them in it. When I clean cages and have anything to wean, I just toss them into this tub, same tub, all the time...no problems.

I do not give mine any kind of hide boxes, my breeder tubs are about 9x12x7 and they do seem to do better in smaller caging than larger more roomy caging. I've tried using the concrete mixing tubs to breed in and for whatever reason, I get much better production out of the smaller dish pan tubs instead.

I do suggest using food hoppers, I think you'll save wasted food because of it just getting dirty in the bedding.

I also believe trying to put in a water dish is just going to be a waste of more time than it's worth, if you have a water bottle or water nozzle for them, if they're thirsty, they'll find a way to get to it. A water dish is just going to get bedding kicked into it and stay dirty as fast as you can change it and keep it clean. I know in my cages the hopper sized rodents (asf's and mice both) have to jump up and hang onto the hardware cloth that is the top to their cages to be able to eat the food on top and also to get to the water nozzles that just stick through the wire a little...this is not a problem for them.

Quote Originally Posted by 11anthony View Post
    turning my rodent lab blocks into dust/small crumbs
    This is a lot of times a sign of nervousness or basically going stir crazy if you want to think of it that way. Giving them a block of wood or stick or something to chew on instead of destroying their food will often solve this problem.

Charlie
    Last edited by rascal_rascal_99; 07-16-2013 at 10:43 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rascal_rascal_99 For This Useful Post:

Schaub (07-17-2013)

Thanks
    Charlie,

Thank you very much for your input!

I have realized that I need to figure out what works best for my colony and not worry so much about what others might do. In my limited experience, I have come to the conclusion that everyone's experience with ASF differs.

I am happy to hear that your colonies don't fight. I hope to be able to keep 2 males together the way you have.

I am still toying around with the whole hopper idea. I don't like the ones that go up to the top of the tub, I find them aesthetically displeasing, but i don't want them sitting on the top of a box attached to the side either. Clearly, I have reading to do on the subject.

I kinda figured the water bowl would be a bad idea, but didn't really think it through completely, so thanks again for the advice.

Over all, I think I worry too much.

BPnet Senior Member I-KandyReptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,479 Posts

ASF Questions

Enjoy your little babies!

If you have space, give them a wheel! it's hilarious seeing 20-30 babies on one trying to make it move.

---------
    0.1 Dog (Truffles)
    0.1 Naked Cat (Mercedes)
    1.0 Hamster (Pumpkin)
    1.1 Bumblebees (Satyana & Weedle)
    0.3 Normals (Shayla, Rita and Althea)
    0.1 100% Het Pied Ringer (Avalon)
    1.0 Pied (Monsieur Piederoff)
    1.0 Lesser 100% Het Albino poss het OG (Tinersons)
    0.1 Spider Albino (Ivy)
    0.1 Mojave Cinnamon (Morticia)
    1.1 Normal BCIs (Damon and Conga)
    0.1 Crested Gecko (Natasha)
    0.0.1 Rosehair Tarantula (Charlotte)
    0.0.1 P.Metallica
    0.0.1 A.Avicularia
    0.0.2 P.Irminia
    0.0.1 L.Parahybona
    0.0.1 N.Coloratovillosus
    ?.?.? ASFs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to I-KandyReptiles For This Useful Post:

Schaub (07-17-2013)

Thanks

ASF Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbafett View Post
    Enjoy your little babies!

If you have space, give them a wheel! it's hilarious seeing 20-30 babies on one trying to make it move.
    Double yes on this!! My favorite is when the little ones hang onto the edges while the big ones are running, then go flinging off when it gets too fast. They seem to enjoy it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MootWorm For This Useful Post:

Schaub (07-17-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schaub View Post
    I have realized that I need to figure out what works best for my colony and not worry so much about what others might do. In my limited experience, I have come to the conclusion that everyone's experience with ASF differs.
    Definitely find what works best for you.

I keep/raise my ASF just like my regular rats, with a male that gets rotated through the females. Yes, you heard right. I rotate soft furs. He's in with a group of three girls for 2 weeks, then is immediately moved to the next group of 3. No fighting. No killing. Been doing it for about a year now. Had I listened to advice on forums, I'd have never found this out. It actually came about in desperation, as 1.3 groups all had babies and then promptly consumed them. I found out that as long as there was no male in with them when they gave birth, they raised babies just fine. Gotta find what works for you.
    `*`

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post:

Schaub (07-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
    I'd have never found this out. It actually came about in desperation, as 1.3 groups all had babies and then promptly consumed them. I found out that as long as there was no male in with them when they gave birth, they raised babies just fine. Gotta find what works for you.

Just to clarify, did you mean that the mothers cannibalised their young or that your snakes quickly ate them all? This is the first time I've heard of ASFs cannibalizing.
    5.5.13 C. Ciliatus - Specialize in Super Dals
    0.0.1 V. Exanthematicus (Skorge)
    4.4 U. Lineatus
    1.2 N. Amyae
    1.2.2 N. levis levis
    1.0 U. Pietschmanni (Pietsch)
    5.2.2 U. Fimbriatus

Lots of BPs focusing on Clown stuff in 2014.

1.0 P. Reticulatus 50% Dwarf Purple Albino het Gen Stripe

Chris from The Lizard Horde
    www.thelizardhorde.com
    Our Iherp Reptile Collection
    https://www.facebook.com/TheLizardHorde

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MootWorm View Post
    I've heard that they'll fight although I don't have any personal experience with that. I keep mine in 1.3 or 1.4 groups. I usually provide a few hides because my girls like to make two giant piles of babies lol. They don't really separate them by who belongs to who, they kind of mix and match the pinks when they're little.

I'd say either do the hopper (you'll save on food, it's cleaner, etc) or just dump the food directly on the floor. That's where it will end up anyway if you have a dish And the dish will just become a toilet/chew toy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I agree with everything thats been said here. I also give my asfs exercise wheels and ping pong balls to play with...preferred, but not necessary

sent from my incubator
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

Schaub (07-20-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OctagonGecko729 View Post
    Just to clarify, did you mean that the mothers cannibalised their young or that your snakes quickly ate them all? This is the first time I've heard of ASFs cannibalizing.
    Mothers, or the males, ate babies. It's the first real issue I've ever had with these guys. Raised them when I lived on the east coast, but my colony out there that I had going for about 5 years ran perfectly.

This group I got are just ... different. Very docile rats, but horrible parents. I'm in the process of culling the negative aspects out of them.
    `*`

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadera For This Useful Post:

OctagonGecko729 (07-21-2013)

Thanks
    Well I kept all of my 10 together until today. I checked on them after work to find one of my males has a bite wound on his head. I'm pretty sure I know who the culprit is because there is only one who has shown any aggression (the little monster bit me too). I tried to feed him off last night, but he made friends with one snake and the other wasn't hungry apparently. So, now the extra boys have a bachelor pad. Hopefully the snakes eat my problem child next week and I won't have to worry about the boys brawling while I'm gone.
    Last edited by Schaub; 07-26-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12