Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,492

2 members and 3,490 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Stressed Out New Guy... Am I Being a Worry Wart?

On Sunday, I got my first ball python, a young enchi male (not a baby, but not very old, either). I've only had Cali Kings before this, who have always been pretty chill about, well, life in general. My new guy, Chaz, is *really* stressed out, though. I have him in a 20L terrarium, and the first evening the humidity was a little low, so on I placed a towel over the screen in addition to misting. Now the warm side is 90, cool side 79, with a regular humidity of 56%. His heat lamp is a red bulb so as not to overly irritate him with too much light. I placed two hides on either side, a very small one (since I'd heard they like hides they can barely fit in) and a medium sized one on each end so he could have his pick of sizes. Today I covered three of the four terrarium sides with foam board, both to better insulate the glass cage and to try and calm his nerves. I'm considering covering the front, too, since I'm sure he's used to living in a rack (I got him at a reptile show). I haven't touched him or tried to get him out during this time. Basically, he will not stop moving around and trying to get out and I know this means he's anxious, which worries me. He climbs up his little tree and across a paper towel roll I have hanging from the top and tries to push his way out (the screen is locked on) and he constantly checks out the glass like he's praying that this time his magical tongue will make it disappear, LOL. I have seen him enter a hide only one time, for about half an hour, then he was out and about again--and that is the ONLY time he's gone into a hide. I know this means he's stressed, but am I just being a worry wart? After all, it's only been two and a half days. Does he just need more time to relax, or is there something else I can do to make him happier in his new home?

Thanks
    He just needs time to relax and explore. It sounds like you're doing an awesome job! Congrats! What a cool first bp. Pix?
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

Thanks
    x2. Let him relax. Before he settles in he's going to be all over the place freaking out. What are your hides/what do they look like? If they're overly open it won't provide him enough security which will also freak him out.
    Black Pewter het Hypo Vestris; Black Pastel Enchi Zamira; Black Pastel Cheryn; Hypo Enchi Sofia; Lesser Pastel Eren; Super Mojave ???; Piebald Mako; Fire Vin; Pastel Estelle; Spider Hanji, Ezri; Normal Angelina, John, Aradia; Mojave Joe; Anerythreustic Kenyan Sand Boa ???; German Shepherd Dog Atticus; Rats Snowman, Colette, Calliope, Eliza, ???, ???

Thanks
    Nice first bp. I also got new additions sunday. I agree with anya. He will calm down eventually. Its just because hes in a new place. He will be perfectly fine

Thanks

Re: Stressed Out New Guy... Am I Being a Worry Wart?

Sounds pretty normal for a ball, just exploring his new home for a while. Eventually he will go into his hide and never to be seen again! lol. And if it helps, you are doing a good job at the husbandry, but may I add switching the lamp for a UTH, lamps tend to dry out the air causing a bit more work on the humidity, plus the belly heat help with their digestion. And, I hope you don't mind, I suggest changing him to a tub since you are already covering the glass and a tub is WAAAY easier to clean, maintain humidity, more privacy, and all that other good stuff!!.... Hope it helps and congrats of your new BP!!
    BP
    1.0 Normal

Other
    0.1 Cat- Calico
    1.0 Dog- German Shepherd

Thanks
    Yeah, that's what I figured... Just being a worried mommy, LOL. His hides are a log with only one open end that's partially covered in front by a little tree on the cool side (that's the one he's been in), that inexpensive "medium sized rock" on Amazon.com that everybody and their mother seems to have on the warm side, then two identical small plastic bowls meant for serving salsa in that I cut entrance holes into and smoothed out the edges with a lighter on either side.

Here are some pics of my new little man! It's hard to get any good ones in his cage thanks to the red light, but these are the ones I took when I got him Sunday.

Thanks

Re: Stressed Out New Guy... Am I Being a Worry Wart?

Quote Originally Posted by C.Lantigua View Post
    And if it helps, you are doing a good job at the husbandry, but may I add switching the lamp for a UTH, lamps tend to dry out the air causing a bit more work on the humidity, plus the belly heat help with their digestion. And, I hope you don't mind, I suggest changing him to a tub since you are already covering the glass and a tub is WAAAY easier to clean, maintain humidity, more privacy, and all that other good stuff!!.... Hope it helps and congrats of your new BP!!
    Yeah, I ordered a more heavy duty UTH than the little one I have on the tank right now in hopes that, combined with the insulation I added, I can ditch the lamp altogether--it would definitely help with the humidity. It should be here in a few days, and we'll see. If I can't get a good temp going with that, I may consider switching him to a tub. It just depends on how tough it is to keep this class cage humidified like I want it! I may get another king to go in this tank, since humidity isn't such a big issue. (I really should have thought about that before I decided to go glass!)

Thanks
    Sounds good! Just make sure you get a thermoSTAT to go with that UTH! ^_^
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'