Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,494

0 members and 1,494 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

He died in the palm of my hand...

We own a hamster. It isn't MY hamster mind you, it's my little cousins. My cousin and her family went out of town for a week and it was my responsibility to feed and water the hamster. I never really liked it. It always bit me and stunk really bad. I gave it food and water the day after they left and then I just...forgot about it... Roughly a week later I remembered and gave it more food and water. It drank and ate like I've never seen before. Again, I forgot about it. This morning I remembered and checked up on it. Laying on its side, not moving and nothing but bone, I thought it was dead. Upon picking it up in my hand, it gasped for air and moved its front paw slightly. I panicked and did everything in my power to save the poor creature. I began giving it water through a dropper, drop by drop. After each drop it would stick out its tongue and take it down. I then rubbed a bit of honey on its lips which it again licked up weakly. After a few minutes its breathing began to regulate and it was laying in my palm, curled up and breathing slowly. I continued to give it water every minute or so and was beginning to think I had saved it. However, after a minute or so, it's limbs started to tighten up and its entire body started to writhe. I watched, completely helpless as this innocent creature died in the palm of my hand. I've been bawling for the last hour over my sheer laziness and negligence. My laziness caused an innocent creature to suffer and wither away, all because I "just didn't like it".

I understand how terrible that is now and if I could take it all back, I would. I'm sorry little guy. I'd switch places with you if I could...

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    Though I feel for your loss, I do hope that this has been a learning experience for you. Animal ownership is not a right; it is a privilege and a responsibility. Our fuzzy friends (and scaly ones) rely upon us for their very lives; it is a real shame when we disappoint them.

Now that I've done my "veterinary professional" speech, Im reall sorry for your loss; hang in there
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mephibosheth1 For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (07-15-2013),Anya (07-15-2013),CrystalRose (07-15-2013),Flikky (07-15-2013),I-KandyReptiles (07-16-2013)

Thanks
    Um, this was a disturbing story. It was a bit hard to read. Hopefully this is not someone fabricating a story up like I have seen in the past because it would be in bad taste. IF it is true than I will pray that its little soul went to Heaven and I will pray for forgiveness for you. This is REALLY sad

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to norwegn113 For This Useful Post:

alykoz (07-15-2013),bcr229 (07-15-2013),CrystalRose (07-15-2013),I-KandyReptiles (07-16-2013)

Thanks
    OP...I have done the same. Unfortunately, I have done the same several times. I have never been so ashamed, or wanted to be dead so much. And I will tell you one thing...you must learn from this. You must remember how horrible you feel right now, and resolve to never feel this way again. I didn't the first time, I thought I did, but I didn't. I really wish I had. There's a reason I'm a responsible owner now...because I know the horrible sick feeling of guilt when I was an irresponsible one.

I oftentimes wonder if I even deserve to own animals anymore, and the answer is: no, I don't. Like Mephi said, animal ownership is a privilege, not a right, and when that really sinks in, that's when we become responsible. I do think of my ownership now as kind of...'atoning' for what I've done. And proving to myself that I'm NOT that person anymore.

(Gah, I hope none of you think less of me for this, though I wouldn't blame you.)

I am really sorry for your loss.
    Last edited by Anya; 07-15-2013 at 03:42 PM.
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anya For This Useful Post:

Bluebonnet Herp (10-15-2013),CrystalRose (07-15-2013),Flikky (07-15-2013),Melody (08-20-2013),Mephibosheth1 (07-15-2013)

Thanks

He died in the palm of my hand...

Anya I'm curious as to how this happened, let alone Multiple times.

I was a kid I had a pet iguana, the Internet wasn't really a big thing back then so I never thought I had to do research.

We had his light above a plastic cover and of course he ended up not getting any vitamin d for calcium and died.

1.0 Link, my Abbott Okeetee corn snake
    1.0 Pit, my Yellow-belly ball python
    1.1 Ramza and Midna, my kittens

BPnet Senior Member Mephibosheth1's Avatar
    Thanks
    So far the only animal(s) I have killed were 2 mice. I had transferred the young 3 week old mice to another cage, and didn't pay attention to the type of water nozzle that was attached to the automatic dispenser. I didn't notice it was the "adult mouse only" kind, and that the babies were dwarf sized due to a problem with their mother's milk. It was about the saddest thing I've ever seen, and knowing it was my fault was pretty rotten...
    CRYSTAL MEPH

1.0 100% Het for Carmel Normal–Mycroft (P. regius)
    1.2 Manx, Scottish Fold, Tabby–Mocha, Precious, Kitty-Beau (F. domesticus)
    30.90 Breeder Mice (M. musculus)

"It will all be okay in the end. If it's not okay, its not the end"
    –John Lennon//oo\\

Banned
    Thanks

Re: He died in the palm of my hand...

You make me sick,best way to put it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mchristy View Post
    We own a hamster. It isn't MY hamster mind you, it's my little cousins. My cousin and her family went out of town for a week and it was my responsibility to feed and water the hamster. I never really liked it. It always bit me and stunk really bad. I gave it food and water the day after they left and then I just...forgot about it... Roughly a week later I remembered and gave it more food and water. It drank and ate like I've never seen before. Again, I forgot about it. This morning I remembered and checked up on it. Laying on its side, not moving and nothing but bone, I thought it was dead. Upon picking it up in my hand, it gasped for air and moved its front paw slightly. I panicked and did everything in my power to save the poor creature. I began giving it water through a dropper, drop by drop. After each drop it would stick out its tongue and take it down. I then rubbed a bit of honey on its lips which it again licked up weakly. After a few minutes its breathing began to regulate and it was laying in my palm, curled up and breathing slowly. I continued to give it water every minute or so and was beginning to think I had saved it. However, after a minute or so, it's limbs started to tighten up and its entire body started to writhe. I watched, completely helpless as this innocent creature died in the palm of my hand. I've been bawling for the last hour over my sheer laziness and negligence. My laziness caused an innocent creature to suffer and wither away, all because I "just didn't like it".

I understand how terrible that is now and if I could take it all back, I would. I'm sorry little guy. I'd switch places with you if I could...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NYHC4LIFE8899 View Post
    You make me sick,best way to put it....
    NOT helpful, NOT okay.
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python 'Marcelene'
    1.0.0 Hypo Brooks Kingsnake, 'Limonchello'
    0.0.1 Western Ratsnake 'Sticker'

?.?.? Dubia Colony.
    ?.?.? Madagascar Hissing Colony
    2.0.0 Ferrets 'Ferris' & 'Steven'
    3 gallon planted tank
    1.0.0 Avicularia Avicularia 'Peter'
    0.0.1 Brachypelma vagans 'Little Dude'
    0.0.1 Pterinochilus murinus 'Mr.Bitey'

0.1.0 Catahoula Pitbull Mix ' Imogen'

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anya For This Useful Post:

xStatic (12-01-2013)

BPnet Senior Member Bluebonnet Herp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth1 View Post
    So far the only animal(s) I have killed were 2 mice. I had transferred the young 3 week old mice to another cage, and didn't pay attention to the type of water nozzle that was attached to the automatic dispenser. I didn't notice it was the "adult mouse only" kind, and that the babies were dwarf sized due to a problem with their mother's milk. It was about the saddest thing I've ever seen, and knowing it was my fault was pretty rotten...
    I've killed an untold number of rats and mice in my lifetime, but that's for a more obvious reason.
    I think most, if not all of us, have had to learn the real responsibilities of animal ownership at the cost of an animal's well being or life at some point in time. I've had hamsters before I kept any other 'exotics', and one in particular, my last one, taught me a point in respecting living beings and that they aren't toys. After a rough-housing incident which ended up breaking his back, I've had the gut wrenching guilt that let me know I screwed up real bad. There was a lesson I found in that, and I've treated every animal I've had since with more respect and handled them more gently. So although you did bring that small life to a tragic and brutal end, hopefully you'll see the light in that a learn a lesson to respect the needs and well being of another living being.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluebonnet Herp For This Useful Post:

Anya (10-15-2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,969 Times in 2,446 Posts

This thread worries me......not just the OPs post..........
    Kids. Its time to grow up and take some responsibility. Sometimes accidents happen and things go sour. Learn from that and do better next time.

However, if you are forgetting to take care of an animal *multiple* times to the point where it does cause death, then perhaps you should rethink owning or accepting to care for an animal until you can care for them with 110% effort. If it happens once, its an accident. If it happens several times, that is no accident but pure negligence. The animals rely on their owners and caretakers to live and thrive. They're trapped in a cage and cannot get food or water themselves. Starvation is a cruel process since its very slow and long. If you cannot at least fulfil their base needs, then don't accept the job of caring for them until you can. These animals aren't toys to break and replace. They are living beings. So please, please be more responsible in the future guys. I know you can do better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by satomi325; 10-15-2013 at 11:12 AM.

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to satomi325 For This Useful Post:

Annarose15 (10-15-2013),Bluebonnet Herp (10-15-2013),Coleslaw007 (10-15-2013),Crazymonkee (10-15-2013),FireStorm (10-17-2013),KayleighBrown (11-09-2013),Shann (10-15-2013),SnowShredder (10-15-2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast